Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c0bracommander

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2008
Hi there,

I'm wondering what the problem is with my iMac G5 PowerPC. It recently had the logic board replaced (last month), and fortunately, was done for free as it qualified under a repair program that ended in November 2008 (got really lucky).

Now everything works fine, and the computer doesn't get super HOT, but, when I put it to sleep, it shuts down. It's the weirdest thing.

Before, I'd leave the room and it would go to sleep on it's own and be in this weird purgatory state where the fans were on, but it was unresponsive. That was before the logic board replacement. Not sure if this is related, since correlation != causation.

I'd just like to make it sleep normally and not turn off.

Any advice?

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Hi,
i suggest that you should contact with those, who replaced logicboard and decsribe them your problem. You should to have warranty for the job done and replaced spare parts.

c0bracommander

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2008
Eh, I'd like to not have to drive 30 minutes just to diagnose a problem that I can do ahead of time and order the part if possible.

I appreciate the recommendation, though.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
There are few things that you could do by yourself:
- PMU and PRAM reset (first thing to do when you experiencing power management problems)
- open your mac and look for not connected sensor (HDD or other)
Not much more you can do, especially if you don't have spare PSU.

In my previous post i meant that your issue could be related with logicboard replacement. If it is like that, geniuses who done it should check and repair for free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.