PDA

View Full Version : Drive goes beep beep...

zim
Sep 30, 2004, 09:23 AM
I have an old Maxtor drive, nothing on it other then non important backup stuff.

Here is the issue...
The drive sometimes seems to struggle when waking up, I will hear it rev up then nothing then rev up then usually a beep beep, loud beep beep noise.

Suggestions as to what should I do? Sometimes it does not do it and Often times it does eventually wake up and runs just fine but it has been like this for a long time.

So the debate is this... do I trash the drive? or just keep using it?

If I do trash the drive, is there a proper way to dispose of a hard drive, I know that I should wipe it clean.

brap
Sep 30, 2004, 09:27 AM
I have an old IBM which has done this since the day I got it, 3 years ago. I just don't store anything really important on it, it's been fine as a scratch drive.

zim
Sep 30, 2004, 09:44 AM
I have an old IBM which has done this since the day I got it, 3 years ago. I just don't store anything really important on it, it's been fine as a scratch drive.

Basically, that is what I am using if for as well, additional scratch drive for photoshop and random junk.

I hate throwing out equipment, the drive has never had a failure, so I guess I should not have complained.

Jimong5
Sep 30, 2004, 11:09 AM
I have a 2 year old IBM too that does a "beep (read head clicks) beep" since the day I got it.

iMeowbot
Sep 30, 2004, 11:28 AM
I have a hard drive that says "yoo hoo" every ten minutes. I kind of like it.

jabbawok
Sep 30, 2004, 10:45 PM
If you have somone with a nasty PC you can get them to download "Powermax" off maxtors website which is a bootable floppy with diagnostic tools on it.
It also has a low level format utility which is the next best thing to a steam-roller for getting rid of any data. I have had hard drives take motherboards with them when they die (once or twice) so if I were you I'd loose it. Treat yourself to a new drive, theyre so cheap now. :)