Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleiPad

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
The Speck CandyShell for iPad is a remake of the popular iPhone case, with the added functionality that makes the iPad "dockable" while in the case. It looks great and it is very easy to get the iPad in and out. The case came out last week sometime and I ordered with expedited shipping, it came on Monday but I haven't had a chance to do the review until now. Hope you enjoy!

For all the images in full 4288 x 2848 glory: go to this album

dsc0548q.jpg

It comes in a decent looking box, although mine was dirty right out of the packaging. The case is the only thing included, no screen shields, no microfibers, no accessories, nothing.

dsc0549q.jpg

The back of the case looks very similar to it's iPhone counterpart, except for the silicon strip that allows the back to open and the iPad to be placed on a dock.

dsc0552k.jpg

The inner lining of the case, unlike the original CandyShell, is not one single layer of silicon. It has the Speck logo punched in with holes, I am presuming this is to keep the weight of the case down without losing any protection.

dsc0555b.jpg

The iPad looks great looking at the screen with the case on, and Speck has continued there design of keeping some of the chrome (in this case aluminum) showing around the screen. I am using an SGP Crystal screen shield along with the case.

dsc0564eo.jpg

When the iPad is in the case the speakers line up perfectly, and the sound is crisp and loud, despite there being a second layer covering them. If you are worried that the case will muffle the sound, don't be, Speck did an outstanding job on the speaker cutout.

dsc0565p.jpg

The volume buttons on the iPad CandyShell are easier to press than the rocker on the iPhone with the case, but they still take more pressure than the iPad without a case. As for the screen lock, there is plenty of room and it is easy to access.

dsc0566x.jpg

The headphone port lines up perfectly, and although they fit my headphones very well, they may not fit some headphones with very large plugs. The microphone hole lines up very well, but there is some silicon covering the mic, I'm sure I will be able to get this out later.

Now for what everyone has been waiting for, dockability!

dsc0568j.jpg

Speck did an amazing job when it comes to docking the iPad, it works exactly as you would hope and is a seamless process to "flip back" the cover.

dsc0567.jpg

dsc0570r.jpg

Here is what the inside of that flap looks like:
dsc0573n.jpg

Here is a gallery of the iPad sporting the CandyShell next to an iPhone:
dsc0574f.jpg

dsc0575t.jpg

dsc0577z.jpg

Overall this is an outstanding case and so far I like it a lot better than the Apple Case as long as you get a screen protector with it. I say this because this is a back-only case and provides no protection for the screen.

Skystar

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
Great review and pictures! I'm still deciding on using the macally bookstand or a shell style case like this. It's nice to have a matching iphone case as well. Thanks for the review.

AppleiPad

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Great review and pictures! I'm still deciding on using the macally bookstand or a shell style case like this. It's nice to have a matching iphone case as well. Thanks for the review.

Thanks man, I would definitely recommend this case if you have the keyboard dock. Otherwise you may want to stick with the Apple Case or Macally because you will want the incline stand for typing.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
My BatWing black Speck iPad cover came today! What a perfect fit!

My only wish is the make a model that has a matt exterior finish as I hate to see the shiney finish on the Candy case get scratched, too!

This beats the incase silicone cover. The Speck is by far the best I have used so far. No doubt it will protect the edges and back of your new toy while adding the least amount of size!

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow!

The shiny part getting scratched is going to irk me. It was one of the reasons i didn't want black (which was better than purple for me).

As long as it does what i need right now - i'm cool with it.

AppleiPad

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow!

The shiny part getting scratched is going to irk me. It was one of the reasons i didn't want black (which was better than purple for me).

As long as it does what i need right now - i'm cool with it.

If you notice from the last few shots, my iPhone's CandyShell does not have a single scratch on it. I hate the idea of there being scratches on the CandyShell (yes I realize it is a protective case...). I make sure to always place my iPhone face down on a table or other surface, because it raises the bezel so the screen won't get scratched.

AppleiPad

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
How long do you think it will take for the flap to break off?

Hopefully a long time, I'm guessing if you're gentle and don't pin it back it should be good. All that is needed is to lift it and then dock it, there is no stress being applied to the silicon strip.

AppleiPad

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
My BatWing black Speck iPad cover came today! What a perfect fit!

My only wish is the make a model that has a matt exterior finish as I hate to see the shiney finish on the Candy case get scratched, too!

This beats the incase silicone cover. The Speck is by far the best I have used so far. No doubt it will protect the edges and back of your new toy while adding the least amount of size!

Do you use a screen protector with the CandyShell? I use the SGP Crystal but I sometimes wish the Speck had a cover like the Apple Case does. It would be awesome if speck made an optional screen covering that would clip on to the side.

zerolight

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
Glasgow
Looks nice. I have a few of issues that are holding me off from pulling the trigger:

1. Does it add a lot of bulk?

2. Does that glossy back look cheap and tacky, or does it look OK in the flesh - I'd have preferred a satin look.

3. Slightly concerned about the flap - shame they don't do a non flap version for us non dock users so I could just pop my cable through a slot. Is the flap really quite sturdy?

I'm not bothered about a screen protector - I never like these. These screens are supposed to be scratch proof. Besides, 99% of the time the iPad stays in the house - I just wanna protect my iPad from scratches, and make it less like a bar of soap in my hands when surfing on the crapper. ;)

Jmacman78

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2007
Northwest, CT
I love my Candyshell on the iPhone, although the damn thing scratches so easily it looks like a mess in no time which is my only gripe and it is the only thing keeping me from buying this case for my iPad.

I may end up getting it anyway I just wish the Candyshells didn't scratch so easily. And I am also pretty easy on my iPhone too...

AppleiPad

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Looks nice. I have a few of issues that are holding me off from pulling the trigger:

1. Does it add a lot of bulk?

2. Does that glossy back look cheap and tacky, or does it look OK in the flesh - I'd have preferred a satin look.

3. Slightly concerned about the flap - shame they don't do a non flap version for us non dock users so I could just pop my cable through a slot. Is the flap really quite sturdy?

I'm not bothered about a screen protector - I never like these. These screens are supposed to be scratch proof. Besides, 99% of the time the iPad stays in the house - I just wanna protect my iPad from scratches, and make it less like a bar of soap in my hands when surfing on the crapper. ;)

1. Not too much bulk although it's definitely noticeable.

2. I think the back looks great, but when it is scratched it looks terrible, thats why I never let mine touch a hard surface.

3. So far the flap looks like the best implementation of a case that allows docking that I have seen yet. It looks amazingly slick and is so much better than a "slider" alternative that would expose much more aluminum.

Even though you may not like screen protectors, I would definitely recommend one. At least for me, I don't feel comfortable leaving 9.7 diagonal inches of bare glass without anything protecting it, but to each his own.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Wow that is a slick ass case! Wish it was more like the stand type cases.

AppleiPad

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Wow that is a slick ass case! Wish it was more like the stand type cases.

I think it would have been cool if the back that flips out to make it dockable was also a kickstand. Unfortunately the packaging explicitly stated that it was not designed for this purpose.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Mine is here.

First thing i notice is that my box was fine and not beat up.

My case - scratched to H*%% already along the "bump".

UGH.

ETA: Within like 2 minutes of sending them feedback on their contact page & linking to these pics, i have an invoice with an overnight shipping notice for a replacement! I have to say, that is AWESOME customer service.

Attachments

• Picture 626.png
    Picture 626.png
    597.3 KB · Views: 116
  • Picture 625.png
    Picture 625.png
    471.6 KB · Views: 107

AppleiPad

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Damn. I went ahead and ordered one. Amazon $30. Not bad

Here's the Amazon Link he is referring to.

Mine is here.

First thing i notice is that my box was fine and not beat up.

My case - scratched to H*%% already along the "bump".

UGH.

ETA: Within like 2 minutes of sending them feedback on their contact page & linking to these pics, i have an invoice with an overnight shipping notice for a replacement! I have to say, that is AWESOME customer service.

That sucks you have to wait, but at least you have a backup now. Speck is a great company, but their plastic is definitely prone to scratches...

AppleiPad

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
How is the fit? Does the iPad move around at all? All the corners stay put?

The fit is like any CandyShell (I'm not sure if you've ever owned one). It is one of the most snug-fitting cases on the market, the device has no place to move whatsoever.

patp

Apr 10, 2008
AppleiPad said:
The fit is like any CandyShell (I'm not sure if you've ever owned one). It is one of the most snug-fitting cases on the market, the device has no place to move whatsoever.

good to know. Never owned one before. I'm using a tpu style case with the hole over the logo. And to be totally honest I like this better than the nude case I am returning.

The speck looks to be a little bulky. But it seems to be well designed and thought out.

The only thing holding me back is it looks like it could be prone to scratching pretty easily.

AppleiPad

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
good to know. Never owned one before. I'm using a tpu style case with the hole over the logo. And to be totally honest I like this better than the nude case I am returning.

The speck looks to be a little bulky. But it seems to be well designed and thought out.

The only thing holding me back is it looks like it could be prone to scratching pretty easily.

It is very prone to scratching if you aren't careful, but it terms of bulk it's not too bad actually.

hoving

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2010
Agreed, got mine, love it, hate the scratches. But I suppose I would rather have a scratched case than a scratched iPad!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.