Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PsyD4Me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
under your bed
It seems that in the last few weeks my MBA has been freezing up constantly, forcing me to to a hard reset, which brings up the progress bar (Directory rebuilding) every time. it is so time consuming and it also worries me that this HD will go down...
I have not done a FW update, because it looks too complicated for me, but let's say i did, do you think it will take care of the issue?

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I finally got the time to do the FW update on mine yesterday.

It wasn't too bad following the instructions.

So far, no lockups since I did it and I have not had to do a reboot in almost twenty-four hours. Previously, it wouldn't sleep at all. Just about every time I brought it out of sleep I'd get the spinning beachball and have to do a hard reset. So I just turned it off everytime I was done using it.

I never got the rebuild message though.

Anyway, it is doable and I admit the instructions are a little confusing.

If you need help,let me know...

gbroke

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2008
Switzerland
I have (many) crashes with my 128G Runcore SSD.

- Crashes appear as the spinning beachball
- Crashes generally occur at wake from sleep and very rarely under other conditions-requires a hard reset
- Time between crashes has ranged from same day to a week. I sleep my computer several times a day.
- Crashes occurred with the original firmware 15xx and updated firmware 19xx.
- Repartitioning and reloading os did not help.
- Have not tried a full reformat.

gbroke

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I have (many) crashes with my 128G Runcore SSD.

- Crashes appear as the spinning beachball
- Crashes generally occur at wake from sleep and very rarely under other conditions-requires a hard reset
- Time between crashes has ranged from same day to a week. I sleep my computer several times a day.
- Crashes occurred with the original firmware 15xx and updated firmware 19xx.
- Repartitioning and reloading os did not help.
- Have not tried a full reformat.

gbroke

I had this problem for two weeks. I took my MBA apart and taped the LIF cable in place and the problem was gone forever (knock on wood). It's worth a shot.

Good luck.

gbroke

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2008
Switzerland
There doesn't appear to be any place to add tape. Which end did you tape? Could you please explain taping the LIF with a little more detail? Thanks.

Attachments

• rcpic.jpg
    rcpic.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 97

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
There doesn't appear to be any place to add tape. Which end did you tape? Could you please explain taping the LIF with a little more detail? Thanks.

I taped where the LIF cable connects to the Runcore SSD. In the photos in the other Runcore SSD thread, it shows the little black flip clip to lock the LIF cable in place into the Runcore, but mine never had that. Therefore it was loose. Since I had tape from the original SSD, I just removed it from original and placed it on the Runcore SSD. In fact, the original LIF cable was taped to the original SSD. I removed that piece of tape and swapped it right into position on the new tape. I wondered if my black closable LIF clip on the drive was originally

Good luck with it. I hope that helps out. Mine was 100% corrected instantly. It was so relieving at the time.

Cheers.

gbroke

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2008
Switzerland
Well, I hadn't used tape when installing the SSD. It is still on the original drive.

So, I tried Scottsdale's suggestion. I used electrical tape and will report back on the results.

Perhaps the tape prevents a short?

PsyD4Me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
under your bed
I taped where the LIF cable connects to the Runcore SSD. In the photos in the other Runcore SSD thread, it shows the little black flip clip to lock the LIF cable in place into the Runcore, but mine never had that. Therefore it was loose. Since I had tape from the original SSD, I just removed it from original and placed it on the Runcore SSD. In fact, the original LIF cable was taped to the original SSD. I removed that piece of tape and swapped it right into position on the new tape. I wondered if my black closable LIF clip on the drive was originally

Good luck with it. I hope that helps out. Mine was 100% corrected instantly. It was so relieving at the time.

Cheers.

I guess it's only for those folks don't have the flap, Which I do?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I guess it's only for those folks don't have the flap, Which I do?

True. I didn't know there was a clip ("flap") until I saw a photo of someone else's drive. It seemed obvious that it should have one when I opened it and looked at it. The LIF cable seemed like it didn't lock into place well so tape was the thing mine definitely needed. In all honesty, a nice instruction set and some photos would do this company's buyers a great service. I don't understand why they don't include both an instruction sheet and a link to photo/video instructions on their website.

Drive is still amazing.

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Okay....

So sadly, the firmware upgrade did not seem to help me.

I used it today after the machine slept all night, and it did the spinning beachball thing, requiring a hard reset within about twenty minutes. Which was sad because it has been working pretty well otherwise.

Also, as a side note, I did tape the cable down on the same day that I did the FW update. I had to open the case and remove the drive to get my product number so I could figure out exactly which FW executable to run. When I did that, I also taped down the cable. (Although my connector did have the little flap, I just taped down that flap.)

Anyway, now I am back to not trusting it again and feel like I need to shut it down when not in use. I lost about two paragraphs worth of my writing with today's little lockup. I have never seen the spinning beachball if I boot it after being off.

Anyway, I will give sleeping one more chance and watch it and see, I guess.

Later,

gbroke

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2008
Switzerland
Runcore Hangs: Update

I have tried the tape "fix" to cure the periodic "hang after sleep" problem that I had been experiencing with my 128G runcore ssd in my rev C MacBook Air.

I gave it 10 days and no luck, and the problem remained.

I have swapped in another newer 128G runcore SSD and updated the firmware. Let's see if the problem remains.

-gbroke

gbroke

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2008
Switzerland
Here are my recent RunCore SSD experiences, perhaps there is here a piece to the puzzle that might help someone figure out why some of us are experiencing problems.

I purchased a 128G Runcore SSD back in Nov 2009 but did not install it in my 1.86 Rev C Air until March 2010. The SSD would crash several times a week most commonly soon after waking from sleep. Of course the crashes did not occur with the stock 120G HD (frankly I could live with the HD as it was not that slow!). I updated the firmware from 15xx to 19xx and reinstalled the OS, neither corrected the crashing problem.

I tried adding tape as suggested by Scottsdale but that did not seem to help (note black electrical tape in picture below)

For some illogical reason I purchased a second 128G Runcore SSD at the time of installing the first. In April I installed the new SSD with Scottsdale modification and updated the firmware from 18xx to 19xx. So far the new SSD seems to be much better than the original. There have been two crashes in 2 weeks but not quite the same circumstances as before so I am happier but not yet ready to declare success.

The two drives are shown below, the older drive is on the bottom.

Attachments

• P1000423.jpg
    P1000423.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 76
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.