Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vwDavid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
Hi Folks,

My mac mini is in the mail and I am eagerly awaiting its arrival. In the mean time I wanted to start a discussion for Mac mini HTPC canadians and what you are doing.

Our American friends have hulu and netflix and this and that, perhaps we can complete the list but I realize we can't [easily] access that material.

Can we discuss the alternatives and the work arounds and what works well and what doesn't?

If I want to get Hulu what is the best proxy server etc. This will be a great FAQ after all the facts on in.

Thanks for participating

-David

Lobeyone

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2009
Canada
I'm thinking of doing the same thing with a mini and dumping cable.

I live in Canada (Nova Scotia - does that count!?)

I watch a lot of British TV through the internet using a Private VPN and it works really well. I've got several UK IP addresses but the company I use also supply a US IP address so I've had Hulu working + content frome ABC etc
I just have to work out how to get content for my kids on a TV in the basement and I can get rid of cable.

PM me if you want more details.

Steve

DraziGuy

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2009
Our options aren't too great here...

I run a 5 terrabyte system right now, and get all of my HD from the torrents. I purchase Daily Show passes from iTunes (hard to argue with $9.99 for 16 episodes). I rent or borrow most of my movies, with the occasional purchase when Wal-Mart or Best Buy are running deals.

I send in requests to Netflix to expand to Canada every six months or so. I tried the Canadian equivalent, but I found the turnarounds to be horribly slow, and the interface unintuitive.

Honestly, if it wasn't for hockey, I probably would have already dumped cable. As it is, it costs me 70 bucks a month for the 4-6 channels I actually watch.... come on a la carte!

vwDavid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
Draziguy, have you considered attempting what entatlrg is suggesting?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.