PDA

View Full Version : iMac G3 Power Up problem

williamallen
Oct 1, 2004, 07:31 AM
My iMac has been i storage for a while now, when i came to power it up nothing happen apart from The CRT making a static sound then cutting out. I have already tried a number of solutions such as pressing the PMU button, this had no effect. Looking inside and there are no visable faults such as loose wires or burnt out components. Your help would be greatfully appreciated.

pingin
Oct 1, 2004, 08:02 AM
My iMac has been i storage for a while now, when i came to power it up nothing happen apart from The CRT making a static sound then cutting out. I have already tried a number of solutions such as pressing the PMU button, this had no effect. Looking inside and there are no visable faults such as loose wires or burnt out components. Your help would be greatfully appreciated.

Have you checked the RAM? I had what sounds like an identical problem some time ago and was about ready to give it up for junk (I thought the screen was dead) but it turned out to be the RAM wasn't properly inserted. Once I removed it and properly re-inserted it, the iMac sprung back to life.

williamallen
Oct 1, 2004, 08:04 AM
Have you checked the RAM? I had what sounds like an identical problem some time ago and was about ready to give it up for junk (I thought the screen was dead) but it turned out to be the RAM wasn't properly inserted. Once I removed it and properly re-inserted it, the iMac sprung back to life.

Yeah ive just removed the ram and reinserted it as you said, still no luck. :confused:

v-i-c-
Oct 1, 2004, 10:34 PM
could be a dead analog/video-board - this happens a lot to imacs :(

this is a serious damage cause the board is expensive if you want to buy it.

maybe motherboard is still fine - then you can use an atx-powersupply to bring it back to life.

google for it or follow these links

http://members.fortunecity.com/tinux1/sites/imac-atx.html

http://www.ct-scan.com/iMacATX/

but i hope that your problem isn't that serious!