Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

artod4789

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2010
I just bought one of the new macbook pro's, 15 inch, i7 core. I'm installing the 64 bit professional version of windows 7.

I've installed windows 7 on it through boot camp and the install went fine. The problem I'm having is that the windows 7 setup doesn't recognize the product key I have. I tried using the same one I used on my pc that worked just fine. Nothing. I have a friend who used his msdn license to get a new code and that doesn't work either.

Anyone know of any way around this? They are legit codes and don't work and I have NO clue why.

Thanks!

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Did you install from the same media and get the key from the same place as the one you used for your PC or did you mix and match? OEM/upgrade/full/enterprise keys are not interchangeable AFAIK, at least they have not been in previous versions of Windows.

B

artod4789

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2010
Basically it's a friends key and cd that he gave me. Worked fine on my pc and not on the mac. Installed from the same CD I used on the pc.

On the keys I am getting from msdn, they should all be for the same product. At least that's what my friend is giving me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.