Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shippouk

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Hey All
Anyone know if Mac Office 2011 Outlook will feature DeltaSync or Outook Hotmail Connector to enable viewing hotmail folders? I can't find any info on this online anywhere.

I recently brought an iMac after having used PC's my entire life and I'm very saddened to find that NO email client will allow me to access hotmail with all of its folders.

I run my business from multiple locations around the country and NEED this urgently. I can't keep signing into Hotmail in a web browser.

Thanks
Shippo

azmate22

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2010
Sydney, Australia
MBOX Mail

Hey mate,

Since the removal of webdav service provided by MS, hotmail and live email accounts no longer work on a MAC. However, there is a product you can use that will pull the emails via an IMAP connection to your fav email client on the mac (Mac Mail, Entourage, thunderbird, etc).

Its called "Mbox Mail for Mac" which I have been using on both my iPhone and my mac. Its not perfect on the mac, but it works, as I was in the same boat as you (PC user for years and now on a mac.

Mbox Mail does cost $20 but there is a 6 week (?) trial which I recommend before you buy. I liked it (does almost what I need) so I bought it.

Until Office for Mac 2011 comes out at the end of 2010, this is the only way I know to make this work. As far as I am aware, Outlook for Mac in the 2011 package will work with hotmail and live accounts (thank god).

Hope this helps,

AZ

shippouk

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Hey mate,

Its not perfect on the mac
(does almost what I need)

As far as I am aware, Outlook for Mac in the 2011 package will work with hotmail and live accounts

AZ

Hi
Thanks for the response, could I ask though:-
Whats not perfect?
What doesnt it do that you need?
How do you know that Outlook for Mac 2011 will work with hotmail & live accounts or are you just assuming that it will?

thanks
Shippo

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
How do you know that Outlook for Mac 2011 will work with hotmail & live accounts or are you just assuming that it will?

thanks
Shippo
Oh, for Heaven's sake. Live/Hotmail is a POP3 email service. Outlook for Windows is a universal email client that supports IMAP and POP3 including Live/Hotmail. Entourage supports IMAP and POP3 including Live/Hotmail. Outlook 2011 will be a paid upgrade to Entourage. It is not conceivable that Outlook discontinue support for IMAP and POP3. Live/Hotmail is a Microsoft service. It is certainly not conceivable that Outlook will remove support for Live/Hotmail which would require removing support for POP3. Think!

shippouk

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Oh, for Heaven's sake. Live/Hotmail is a POP3 email service. Outlook for Windows is a universal email client that supports IMAP and POP3 including Live/Hotmail. Entourage supports IMAP and POP3 including Live/Hotmail. Outlook 2011 will be a paid upgrade to Entourage. It is not conceivable that Outlook discontinue support for IMAP and POP3. Live/Hotmail is a Microsoft service. It is certainly not conceivable that Outlook will remove support for Live/Hotmail which would require removing support for POP3. Think!

Hi
I'm sorry but that is partly incorrect.
Live/Hotmail with folders is only fully usable on Outlook if you use Outlook connector and have a PAID FOR live/hotmail email account.

Windows Live Mail allows you to use Hotmail with folders weather you have a paid for account or not.

The below explains more.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeltaSync

You cannot use Entourage for Hotmail with folders, you cannot use Outlook for Hotmail with folders unless you have the deltasync/outlook connector add on installed.

Knowing how slow Microsoft are to implement Microsoft technology for Mac, I'm have a feeling that deltasync/outlook connector wont come out by the time Outlook 2011 is released.

Regards
Shippo

azmate22

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Hi
Thanks for the response, could I ask though:-
Whats not perfect?
What doesnt it do that you need?

The issue that I have using MBOX mail in Entourage 2008 is that it doesn't refresh all the folders in the mailbox, only each folder that you click on. I used to use both Outlook 2007 and MS Live mail on my WinXP box, and that refreshed the entire mailbox. I think this is more of an Entourage issue, but I havent gotten around to testing it in say, mac mail (or that I cannot be bothered).

Its a rumor at the moment mate, but what I hear from a mate of mine who is testing a beta 2 version on Office 2011 is that Outlook 2011 is designed to work with Hotmail and Live email accounts. Outlook 2007 (PC) required a plugin to be installed to accomplish this, but its built in to work with Outlook 2011 (but as I said its a rumor atm)

Cheers,

AZA...

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Hi
I'm sorry but that is partly incorrect.
Live/Hotmail with folders is only fully usable on Outlook if you use Outlook connector and have a PAID FOR live/hotmail email account.

Windows Live Mail allows you to use Hotmail with folders weather you have a paid for account or not.

The point remains that you can expect not to lose any of your current functionality.

shippouk

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2010
The issue that I have using MBOX mail in Entourage 2008 is that it doesn't refresh all the folders in the mailbox, only each folder that you click on. I used to use both Outlook 2007 and MS Live mail on my WinXP box, and that refreshed the entire mailbox. I think this is more of an Entourage issue, but I havent gotten around to testing it in say, mac mail (or that I cannot be bothered).

I have downloaded and yes this is the problem, currently asking questions on Thunderbird forum and also to MBOX MAIL - I will post responses here

Its a rumor at the moment mate, but what I hear from a mate of mine who is testing a beta 2 version on Office 2011 is that Outlook 2011 is designed to work with Hotmail and Live email accounts. Outlook 2007 (PC) required a plugin to be installed to accomplish this, but its built in to work with Outlook 2011 (but as I said its a rumor atm)

I also have a friend whose trying out OUTLOOK 2011 Beta2 and it doesnt work properly with hotmail - Inbox only - No folders - Maybe there will be a solution soon?
Cheers,

AZA...

thanks
Shippo

azmate22

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I also have a friend whose trying out OUTLOOK 2011 Beta2 and it doesnt work properly with hotmail - Inbox only - No folders - Maybe there will be a solution soon?

As far as I hear, yes there will be updates with that... dont know when though, hopefully soon :)

It only stands to reason that they have it working only with the inbox in the beta that when it is actually released, it will work with the full version.

As soon as I have some more information, I will def post it up here too mate.

Cheers,

AZA...

iMAVERICKam

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2009
You could say the same thing for businesses that are running MS Exchange and MS Sharepoint... but it does the job

Absolutely, but even Exchange supports IMAP access for clients and devices that don't have an ActiveSync license.

azmate22

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Absolutely, but even Exchange supports IMAP access for clients and devices that don't have an ActiveSync license.

True, but not true. Currently, there is no proper plugin for MS Sharepoint for the Mac as there is a requirement for ActiveX in the web browser... only available in IE.

As for Exchange, its not a seamless integration... and not all organisations turn on IMAP for Exchange... Its all about waiting for MS to get off their arse and generate appropriate products with cross platform integration. Thankfully with programs such as MS Sharepoint 7, there is cross platform integration (no more ActiveX. Same thing for Hotmail/Live products in the future... we all hope

iMAVERICKam

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2009
As for Exchange, its not a seamless integration... and not all organisations turn on IMAP for Exchange...

And some organizations do turn on IMAP for Exchange, whereas Hotmail users are completely shut out from this standard. Either way, nobody should be using a free Hotmail account for their business e-mail anyways -- it's an incredibly stupid move.

It's moot anyways because Hotmail will be adding ActiveSync capability in June. The only unknown is whether it will be available free of cost.

shippouk

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2010
And some organizations do turn on IMAP for Exchange, whereas Hotmail users are completely shut out from this standard. Either way, nobody should be using a free Hotmail account for their business e-mail anyways -- it's an incredibly stupid move.

It's moot anyways because Hotmail will be adding ActiveSync capability in June. The only unknown is whether it will be available free of cost.

I am not using a FREE Hotmail account.
Having used a business hotmail account for the last 4 years for my business it has worked incredibly well to run it like this, so how this can be "AN INCREDIBLY STUPID MOVE" is beyond me?

The only problem I have ever had with Hotmail in all this time has occurred now I use a Mac with lack of support for email clients.
Regards
Shipppo

iMAVERICKam

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2009
Using any Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, or AOL Mail account, free or paid, for business is an incredibly stupid move because:

• They all can, have done, and still do lock legitimate paying customers out with no recourse.
  • They all can, have done, and still do analyze all messages for the purpose of tageted marketing - regardless of the fact that you are not subjected to webmail advertising.
  • They all can, have done, and still do honor all subpoenas for messages in your account with no notification or recourse.
  • The list goes on, you get the idea.

azmate22

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Using any Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, or AOL Mail account, free or paid, for business is an incredibly stupid move because:

• They all can, have done, and still do lock legitimate paying customers out with no recourse.
  • They all can, have done, and still do analyze all messages for the purpose of tageted marketing - regardless of the fact that you are not subjected to webmail advertising.
  • They all can, have done, and still do honor all subpoenas for messages in your account with no notification or recourse.
  • The list goes on, you get the idea.

Not disputing the fact... I just find it amusing that Uni's are moving into that direction... with Macquarie Uni going to Gmail and Sydney Uni moving to Windows Live email

Seems to be the way most corporate (now) organisations are moving towards... just interesting

iMAVERICKam

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2009
Not disputing the fact... I just find it amusing that Uni's are moving into that direction... with Macquarie Uni going to Gmail and Sydney Uni moving to Windows Live email

Seems to be the way most corporate (now) organisations are moving towards... just interesting

Sorry, just noticed this when going through and removing old thread subscriptions...

Exclusive: Gmail Ditched By Major University
IT executives at the school say Google's commitment to privacy and security doesn't meet their standards.

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
I normally would shy away from this sort of thread, but in keeping with the discussion of universities and the mass email servers, my boyfriend's college just migrated its email to Windows Live. Personally, I think this is an incredibly bad move.

shippouk

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Hey All
Anyone know if Mac Office 2011 Outlook will feature DeltaSync or Outook Hotmail Connector to enable viewing hotmail folders? I can't find any info on this online anywhere.

I recently brought an iMac after having used PC's my entire life and I'm very saddened to find that NO email client will allow me to access hotmail with all of its folders.

I run my business from multiple locations around the country and NEED this urgently. I can't keep signing into Hotmail in a web browser.

Thanks
Shippo

Now this is available can anyone confirm this please? (without hijacking this thread to discuss pros and cons of specific email types)
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.