Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dougomite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
I have no clue what is going on. I keep submitting clips from FCP to compressor, and I am selecting the Mpeg-2 program stream and there is no sound, just video. I have also chosen the elementary stream, and no sound. I don't get it. The sound plays in my FCP timeline and in the compressor preview. Is there anything that I might have checked in Compressor that could be excluding my sound file? I have never experienced this before. Any suggestions?:mad:
Thanks

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
I have no clue what is going on. I keep submitting clips from FCP to compressor, and I am selecting the Mpeg-2 program stream and there is no sound, just video. I have also chosen the elementary stream, and no sound. I don't get it. The sound plays in my FCP timeline and in the compressor preview. Is there anything that I might have checked in Compressor that could be excluding my sound file? I have never experienced this before. Any suggestions?:mad:
Thanks

MPEG2 is a video codec only...unlike MPEG1 which had both streams in one file.

So its working like it should.

If you are making a DVD video, I assume you are, you need to make video AND audio files.

Use compressor to create an .ac3 file from your audio as well as the video. This will make TWO files. You then need to use your dvd authoring program to combine the 2 into "one video file for the dvd".

This is how DVDs work...its how you can have multiple audio streams for the same video...like commentary or languages. You create the video element in the program and add the audio to it.

dougomite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Thats the problem, its not for DVD. I am using the settings for online, which is one file. It doesnt make sense why my audio isnt attached. Am I missing something?

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Thats the problem, its not for DVD. I am using the settings for online, which is one file. It doesnt make sense why my audio isnt attached. Am I missing something?

The MPEG-2 encoder ignores the audio, that is what it is supposed to do. Just apply an audio target to the same job for whatever audio encoding format you want. If you don't want audio compression, just slap the stock AIFF 48/16 setting on the job, and call it good.

Also, why are you using MPEG-2 for web?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.