Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

135141-boylston_street_store.jpg

AppleInsider yesterday reported that Apple's retail stores in the U.S. are running short of iPad Wi-Fi + 3G models, less than one week since the models launched. The report noted that all ten stores contacted had no 3G models on hand and were directing customers to Apple's "Notify Me" waiting list service. Many of the stores had also run out of Wi-Fi-only iPad models.

Bloomberg follows up up on the story today, reaching out to at least nineteen stores around the country to find a complete lack of availability of 3G models.
"Demand continues to exceed supply," Natalie Kerris, a spokeswoman for Apple, said yesterday. She declined to comment on iPad supplies at the company's stores. "We're working hard" to provide iPads to additional customers, she said.
Apple announced earlier this week that it had sold over one million iPads in the first 28 days of availability in the United States. The company continues to struggle meeting demand, with shipping estimates in the company's online store currently checking in at 5-7 business days for all models.

Despite the issues with iPad supplies in the U.S., Apple today announced that all models will launch in nine additional countries on May 28th, with nine more countries set to follow in July. Pre-orders for the first batch of international markets begin next Monday.

Article Link: Apple Retail Stores Run Dry of iPad Wi-Fi + 3G Models

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
I have a hard time believing Apple truly doesn't have any way to create more than they are already making. Running out is another way to keep this listed as a 'hot item' (as if such a tactic is even necessary). This artificial "struggle" is evidenced by launching the ipad in nine additional countries before they satisfy demand in the first one.

dlastmango

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2004
West Coast - FLORIDA
Is there any way to know how many iPhones/iPods/iPads are produced in a day? are these on a 24hr-7days a week production schedule? Ive always wondered how fast they can pop these out.

chris

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Where are the nay sayers now? iPad is way ahead of the competition in term of usability and most people realize the difference.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Where are the nay sayers now? iPad is way ahead of the competition in term of usability and most people realize the difference.

A short supply simply means they are not making enough. High demand simply means it's marketed well. Neither NECESSARILY mean anything about usability after only a month of availability. :rolleyes:

Calm down......:p

Tony

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I'm surprised they haven't put up an availability tool like they did for the iPhone 3G. Don't recall if they did for the 3Gs as I wasn't in the market for one.

wolfenkraft

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
That's my apple store!

Too bad the people that work there really aren't very good compared to the other 2 or 3 apple stores in the area.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
A short supply simply means they are not making enough. High demand simply means it's marketed well. Neither NECESSARILY mean anything about usability after only a month of availability. :rolleyes:

Tony

Not making enough = demand above expectations.

You think marketing is the only reason Apple is succeeding? :rolleyes: Think again.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA

Tony

Usability? That's the funniest line I've heard today. If it wasn't usable, the demand would not be so high. I have had mine since Apr 3rd and I find more and more ways to "use" it.

If you want to live in denial, so be it. The product is selling, because it's good.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I have a hard time believing Apple truly doesn't have any way to create more than they are already making. Running out is another way to keep this listed as a 'hot item' (as if such a tactic is even necessary). This artificial "struggle" is evidenced by launching the ipad in nine additional countries before they satisfy demand in the first one.

Sounds a lot like Nintendo when the Wii launched.

MegaSignal

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003

This almost reminds me of Honda in the mid-1980s; they were able to "create" shortages (such as in bright-yellow Preludes) in an effort to spike excitement.

Either way, congrats to Apple for being the leader in innovation once again.

mk_in_mke

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2003
Milwaukee, WI
Sorry for changing - a little - the subject...

Looking at this store on the article... This is an amazing architecture.. Unbelievable... BUT... WHATEVER HAPPENS TO M$ stores they were supposed to build close to every Apple Store...? Anyone has insight?

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Is there any way to know how many iPhones/iPods/iPads are produced in a day? are these on a 24hr-7days a week production schedule? Ive always wondered how fast they can pop these out.

chris

Hard manufacturing data like that is confidential information even for a publicly held company under SEC rules and regs. It can only be exposed under subpoena for court cases and then, the data exposed may only result in a summary for the public record.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I went to the Apple retail and played with one. For sure it's fun.
Can't wait to buy one.

I just wish a way to tether my iphone to the iPad. it's sucks having to pay another $30 for data on my iPad on top for what I pay already monthly on my iPhone.:(:mad:

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
The suppliers can only make these things so fast. They've never had to make iPads before, now they're having to sell a million in a month.

Why didn't Apple make more to start out? The easy answer is they didn't really know how well the iPads would sell. They may have guessed they would do well, but it would have been irresponsible to make a whole bunch and ending up with and underperformer like AppleTV or the Cube.

I think Apple is trying to balance supply with demand while doing their best to get each consecutive model out in a more or less reasonable time frame. You have to remember the US Wifi model just came out just over a month ago while the US 3G came out a week ago. The "international" models go out later this month, about 7 weeks after the initial US wifi launch. That's not bad, really.

People just aren't patient. It's amazing that the iPad has been the device that people just have to have when they didn't even know it existed four months ago.

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
A short supply simply means they are not making enough. High demand simply means it's marketed well.

Tony

You make it sound so easy. Please let us know what product you're making that you've simply "marketed well", resulting in sales of 1,000,000 units in a couple of months. Also, genius move to sell more product by "not making enough". I'm not sure how that works, but kudos.

Vulpinemac

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2007

Poor logic, my friend. While you contend that launching the iPad in other countries before satisfying local demand, you ignore the fact that Apple announced its international launch plans far in advance of even the first pre-order and has already had to delay that launch by 30 days. If Apple were to ignore their stated promise, that would open Apple to more international lawsuits on 'breach of contract' and 'breach of promise,' something certain anti-Apple zealots would love to see.

No. Considering that the iPad has sold more than twice as rapidly as the original iPhone sold, Apple had little idea of what kind of assembly capacity they needed and used the iPhone as a model. Obviously, they needed twice the capacity simply to keep up with US demand and you can't just walk out to the manufacturing floor and say "Start up another line!" or "Double the speed of the line!" Apple is one of the originators of something called "just in time shipping." They ordered supplies to support the manufacture of a certain number of products on a weekly basis. Their demand, obviously, doubled. Those suppliers all have to be able to double their output, and some have already claimed that Apple was taking almost all of their production capacity even before the first iPad hit the streets.

All Apple can do now is attempt to improve product flow through the supply lines and distribute the finished products as equitably as they can. Of course, this also means that all of Apple's suppliers need to increase their capacity as well.

rfrmac

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
There making enough for the US but not the World

Part of the shortage is being caused by Apple opening sales to the world. I'm not against that. I love mine. They will too.:apple: I just think it is a fact that Apple is putting a good number away for the International Introduction.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

I don't have a hard time believing that at all. Can you imagine having to find a company that is capable of building about 700 million dollars worth of stuff for you per month?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.