PDA

View Full Version : g3 mac laptop turns 5 this fall!

jefhatfield
Aug 9, 2002, 08:56 AM
the g3 powered powerbook, introduced in november, 1997, had a 250 mhz g3, 160 MB RAM limit, and a 50 mhz bus

now, we have a g3 powered ibook, at 700 mhz, 640 MB RAM linit, and it runs on a 100 mhz bus

five years for apple laptops running the g3 chip...nice for the g3's bragging rights in laptops, but isn't it about time ibook moved to g4?

to put five years into context, mac desktops were beige and pcs had pentium laptops running windows 95

on mobile g3's fifth birthday in november, i am sure the current representative, the ibook, will still be plodding along with a g3 processor

check out www.apple-history.com in the gallery section for the year 1997

ArtMan617
Sep 6, 2002, 07:57 PM
I really hope that Apple will have enough sense to update the iBooks to a G4 processor soon...they could be incredible...drool...

-ArtMan617

SilvorX
Sep 6, 2002, 08:03 PM
if they DID put a g4 processor in the ibook (which wont happen tho), itdd probably be 500-600 mhz (concidering the powerbook is only 667 mhz and 800 mhz)...

jefhatfield
Sep 6, 2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by SilvorX
if they DID put a g4 processor in the ibook (which wont happen tho), itdd probably be 500-600 mhz (concidering the powerbook is only 667 mhz and 800 mhz)...

i would buy a 500 mhz g4 ibook over the current 600 mhz g3 ibook any day

better yet, put the 667 and 800 g4s in ibook and make the tibooks 1 ghz g4s...by christmas...i think it's possible

SilvorX
Sep 7, 2002, 02:18 AM
ya an ibook with a 667/800 mhz g4 processor would be nice

Jeffx342
Sep 14, 2002, 03:46 PM
I believe that the ibook will have the G3 processor once more
and the next edition will get the G4 Processor

{1984}
Sep 26, 2002, 03:56 PM
yaaaaay happy early birthday ibook... i had the first line of the new ibooks, pretty good... be better with a g4 chip

alex_ant
Sep 26, 2002, 04:23 PM
The G3 iBook: Not Compliant With Moore's Law and Still Profitable!

Long live the G3 iBook! 1.4GHz by 2010!

Falleron
Sep 26, 2002, 04:34 PM
I Still use a PowerBook 1400 (603e)!!! Thats about 7 years old!!! It still is going strong.

ejb190
Sep 26, 2002, 05:03 PM
My trusty Wallstreet G3 266 just got me through another presentation today! I don't trust the office PC notebooks when connecting to borrowed projectors - too many unpredictable problems. I am looking to upgrade to an iMac soon, but my PowerBook will be around as long as it still works.

On a similar note, I regret to inform all of you that my Compaq Contura Aero 486SX-25 died last month of severe hard drive failure. Pitstop (as he was known to friends & networks) worked very hard throughout his lifetime specializing in term papers and thesis data collection. After retirement, Pitstop spent his time relaxing doing journals and occasional games of Civilization. His last words were "Werrrrrr, click. Werrrrrr, click." Aero will be buried in my closet until a decision can be made for organ donations or possible resurrection. Pitstop was 7 years, 8 months old. He was preceeded in death by TI-99/4a, and survived by Wallstreet (G3 266), NEC (P-155), Zenith Z-105 (8088 Luggable), and his little cousin Handspring Visor. Another relative, Commodore 128, was given up for adoption.

jefhatfield
Sep 26, 2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by ejb190
My trusty Wallstreet G3 266 just got me through another presentation today! I don't trust the office PC notebooks when connecting to borrowed projectors - too many unpredictable problems. I am looking to upgrade to an iMac soon, but my PowerBook will be around as long as it still works.

On a similar note, I regret to inform all of you that my Compaq Contura Aero 486SX-25 died last month of severe hard drive failure. Pitstop (as he was known to friends & networks) worked very hard throughout his lifetime specializing in term papers and thesis data collection. After retirement, Pitstop spent his time relaxing doing journals and occasional games of Civilization. His last words were "Werrrrrr, click. Werrrrrr, click." Aero will be buried in my closet until a decision can be made for organ donations or possible resurrection. Pitstop was 7 years, 8 months old. He was preceeded in death by TI-99/4a, and survived by Wallstreet (G3 266), NEC (P-155), Zenith Z-105 (8088 Luggable), and his little cousin Handspring Visor. Another relative, Commodore 128, was given up for adoption.

big time longevity for this field:D

daniel77
Oct 15, 2002, 10:53 PM

what

the

hellll??????

lol. whoa some people are obsessed.

daniel77
Oct 15, 2002, 11:04 PM

what

the

hellll??????

lol. whoa some people are obsessed.