PDA

View Full Version : Cool Pic/Power of Powerbook!

munkle
Oct 1, 2004, 01:22 PM
Cool pic, from Fox News, of students from Franklin & Marshall College, participating in an online post Kerry-Bush debate poll. It just makes me feel fuzzy inside (the Powerbooks that is)! :p

yippy
Oct 1, 2004, 01:38 PM
That is awsome, I wish there was that much Mac support here (although, we do have a higher than average Mac user base, but nothing like that) :D

munkle
Oct 1, 2004, 01:49 PM
Have spotted a couple of non-Apple owners in the pic, namely the girl who looks asleep, in the middle, front row.

dotnina
Oct 1, 2004, 01:57 PM
Have spotted a couple of non-Apple owners in the pic, namely the girl who looks asleep, in the middle, front row.

No, I think the pic just cut off the Apple logo.

This has to be a lab, right? If it's a lab, though, why do they all have notebooks? Aren't desktops the usual choice?

Anyway, nice pic. :)

monkeydo_jb
Oct 1, 2004, 01:59 PM

Dunno, I think that is an Apple.

Look right at the bottom and you can see the stem of the apple.

Maybe her brightness is turned down.

QCassidy352
Oct 1, 2004, 02:07 PM
:-o Awesome!

pseudobrit
Oct 1, 2004, 02:10 PM
F&M is a very exclusive ($$) school at the northwest end of Lancaster city.

Lancaster county is a heavily Republican area, but F&M students are often from out of the area. I imagine F&M's budget would allow for the Powerbook computer labs.

munkle
Oct 1, 2004, 02:18 PM
OK you might be right about the girl! Here's the link to the original story if anybody is interested, link (http://www.foxnews.com/photo_essay/0,3927,168:8,00.html).

Bit wary of asking this, without this turning into a political discussion, how was the debate? Did Bush come up with anymore crackers?! :D

redAPPLE
Oct 1, 2004, 02:42 PM
Dunno, I think that is an Apple.

Look right at the bottom and you can see the stem of the apple.

Maybe her brightness is turned down.

well, for people in in the know (like me) that ladies and gentlemen, IS the brand new g5 powerbook.

it possess' groundbreaking technology. if the user sleeps, the computer would sleep with you! :D

redAPPLE
Oct 1, 2004, 02:43 PM
OK you might be right about the girl! Here's the link to the original story if anybody is interested, link (http://www.foxnews.com/photo_essay/0,3927,168:8,00.html).

Bit wary of asking this, without this turning into a political discussion, how was the debate? Did Bush come up with anymore crackers?! :D

some say Kerry won (as in a boxing match) by points. not wanting to turn this into a politics thread but, i really thought there would be more Kerry supporters...

cnn or so said bush is still ahead in the polls... how sad...

ejb190
Oct 1, 2004, 02:44 PM

Nah, the screen is powered down - note the lack of lighting on her face as opposed to those beside her...

coconn06
Oct 1, 2004, 02:55 PM
No, I think the pic just cut off the Apple logo.

This has to be a lab, right? If it's a lab, though, why do they all have notebooks? Aren't desktops the usual choice?

Anyway, nice pic. :)

It doesn't look anything like a lab. It looks like a lecture hall to me.

stoid
Oct 1, 2004, 03:58 PM
That's scary actually. All these people using laptops that all look exactly the same. I like my PowerBook to stand out in all of it's simplistic essence amid a messy desk or cluttered gangly PC room. However, so much of the bland simplicity altogether hurts my eyes, especially from an aesthetic design point of view. I guess it's good that Apple doesn't have the majority then! :eek:

igucl
Oct 1, 2004, 04:20 PM
Does anyone else think it may be possible that these are iBooks? I was just thinking that since the room is relatively dark, white iBooks may appear to be gray in the picture. Don't powerbooks have darker gray patches on the edges of the screen toward the top?

jeremy.king
Oct 1, 2004, 04:27 PM
A - Reading - Macs for Dummies
B - Surfing pRon
C - How do I right click?
D - Now where is that any key?
E - Actually taking the poll.
F - Dreaming about Nader.
G - Getting sweet revenge posting photoshoped images of all those people who called him fat in high school on HotOrNot.com

mfacey
Oct 1, 2004, 04:44 PM
B - Surfing pRon
G - Getting sweet revenge posting photoshoped images of all those people who called him fat in high school on HotOrNot.com

LOL :D

munkle
Oct 2, 2004, 12:23 AM
B - Surfing pRon

Superb!! And oh so true me thinks! :D

ijimk
Oct 2, 2004, 12:43 AM
no way they are all playing warcraft 3 :P

virividox
Oct 2, 2004, 01:57 AM
Superb!! And oh so true me thinks! :D

bUHAHAHAHAHAHHAHH so true so true

TDM21
Oct 2, 2004, 06:16 PM
Does anyone else think it may be possible that these are iBooks? I was just thinking that since the room is relatively dark, white iBooks may appear to be gray in the picture. Don't powerbooks have darker gray patches on the edges of the screen toward the top?

You may be right. I looked at my PB from the backside and the patches are not that much different from the color of the Aluminium. However, because the picture is so grainy, its hard to tell. The girl in the middle of the second row looks like she is using a 12" pb. I also see different size laptops. I've never seen a 14" iBook, so I can't be sure that's what some are. The could be 15" PBs. Also look at the guy on the far left of the second row. What in the world is he using? :)

gooddog
Oct 2, 2004, 06:56 PM

The people at either side of her swear that there was no one sitting there all evening.

:eek:

---gooddog

Koodauw
Oct 2, 2004, 07:55 PM
Me thinks those are iBooks. Corners look a bit to rounded to be a PowerBook.

Although now that I look at mine...Maybe not.

stickin with an iBook though.

igucl
Oct 2, 2004, 08:01 PM
I think you're right on!

Doctor Q
Oct 2, 2004, 09:54 PM
You know what worries me? The people in the photo look like the audience in the Apple "1984" ad. Silent with glassy stares. Mindless conformity. :eek:

Oh wait, it's Apple equipment. They look stunned because they are so happy!

GroundLoop
Oct 2, 2004, 10:18 PM
F&M is an Ivy League wannabe. One of my best friends went there from 1994-1998 and at that point the entire campus was Mac-centric. In fact, you were required to purchase a Mac before your first day. I believe that that has changes slightly since then. If I remember correctly, a PowerBook is now a portion of your first semester's tuition as a "fee". I'll have to talk to my friend and see if she knows. But F&M is a very fine liberal arts school.

Here is a link to the recommended computers for F&M:
http://computing.fandm.edu/computerstore/recommended.php

Hickman

belair
Oct 3, 2004, 01:19 AM
http://computing.fandm.edu/computerstore/recommended.php[/url

:eek:
I just checked that out. They only recommend the students to buy Macs and no PC whatsoever. No wonder everybody in that picture types on his Mac. Got to agree with some other posts here. I really like it when I see a bunch of Mac users in a PC crowd. But this is kinda scary.
Anyway. This is very good free advertising for apple. A quality school speaking out for quality computing!

criana
Oct 3, 2004, 08:12 AM
I'm positive they are iBooks, if you look at this photo, that back of the screen is shiny, my powerbook is not shiny.

munkle
Oct 3, 2004, 10:24 AM
I'm positive they are iBooks, if you look at this photo, that back of the screen is shiny, my powerbook is not shiny.

iBook it is then!

munkle
Oct 3, 2004, 03:38 PM
Just saw that iTMS is offering a free download of the of the Presidential Debate. Nice touch.

vraxtus
Oct 3, 2004, 04:49 PM
That's scary actually. All these people using laptops that all look exactly the same. I like my PowerBook to stand out in all of it's simplistic essence amid a messy desk or cluttered gangly PC room. However, so much of the bland simplicity altogether hurts my eyes, especially from an aesthetic design point of view. I guess it's good that Apple doesn't have the majority then! :eek:

Exactly... this kind of sheeping is exactly what I *DON'T* want to see from our community. The whole point in "being different" is that we avoid this type of thing - not purport it. I give this a big thumbs down...

munkle
Oct 3, 2004, 05:01 PM
Exactly... this kind of sheeping is exactly what I *DON'T* want to see from our community. The whole point in "being different" is that we avoid this type of thing - not purport it. I give this a big thumbs down...

But think about it, they're basically two laptops in the Apple range and both look pretty similar. If people are going to use Apple, they're going to look the same and sport the same shiny logo. So saying you're against 'sheeping' is kinda like saying you don't want a majority using a Mac even though nearly everybody on this board extolls its virtues - kind of a contradiction, no?

I am being facetious and admit to liking being part of the 'knowing' minority but this attitude just kinda reminds me of somebody's sig, 'the day Apple becomes a majority, is the day I start using Windows', or something like that.