Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miicah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Hey guys my 2,1 2006 model macbook is acting a little weird.

I installed a fan control program and it was reporting 0 rpm fan speed. So I installed iStat pro and it also reported 0 rpm.

I can't hear the fan and the temp monitoring parts all say around 80 degrees c.

Solutions? Should I buy a new fan or open up the case first and check for dust/unplugged things?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
If it's happy running at 80ºC then it may not have turned the fan on yet. Unfortunately I don't know what the threshold is that it should turn on at. Can you use the fan control program to lower the temperature it turns on at/force it turn on?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
hey man, def open it up and see if there is dust.

also, restart it and check, reset PRAM etc and check, run disk permissions with your OSX install disc, etc. let us know!

80*c is hot, but not TOO hot.

miicah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
The only reason I ask is because

a) i can't hear the fan and
b) sometimes it shuts down for no reason

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
The only reason I ask is because

a) i can't hear the fan and
b) sometimes it shuts down for no reason

In that case the fan could have failed and it's overheating so shutting down to protect the CPU.

Take a look in iFixIt for instructions on taking it apart if you've not done it before. You can probably get a new fan if you need one.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Wirelessly posted (nokia e63: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE63-1/100.21.110; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

yup I'd agree with robbie on that, a pram reset may fix it though.. Worth a shot

MacBuck

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
I think, with normal use, the fan should be at 1997-2000rpm. 80 isn't too hot, but its definitely not normal if the fan is still at 0rpm.

I agree with resetting the PRAM. If that doesn't help, consider using smcFanControl to manually control your fans.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Wirelessly posted (nokia e63: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE63-1/100.21.110; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

yea macbuck - its either that or the fan actually is dead

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
So, either a failed fan, and computer shuts down after overheating, and failed sensor, and computer shuts down due to something else.

Can you feel the body getting really hot?

miicah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Yeah the bottom gets quite hot maybe even close to being too hot to touch :S

I think the fan must be broken because I'm sitting here on my girlfriends macbook and putting my ear next to the vent I can definitely hear a fan, which is not the case on mine.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Yeah the bottom gets quite hot maybe even close to being too hot to touch :S

I think the fan must be broken because I'm sitting here on my girlfriends macbook and putting my ear next to the vent I can definitely hear a fan, which is not the case on mine.

damn man - pull it apart and have a look. apple fans are cheap off ebay

eman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
In the great white north
Looks like the right fan, but, I can't see the fan connector end clearly. Make sure the fan connector ends matches yours. Looks like your macbook is the early model and will most likely take this fan.

The early model macbook fan connectors came as:
A. A square head two pin connector snap on top of LB connector (I'm guessing this is yours).
b. A slide in connector that lays flat on LB connector.

miicah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Looks like I'll have to open mine up tomorrow and get the proper model number.

Thanks for your help though.

miicah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Opened my macbook up with no problems, found a HUGE dustbunny in the fan, removed it and am now purring away on 1800rpm :)

So glad I didn't have to wait a month for a fan from china :|

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.