Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
I tried searching, but couldn't find anything. How well does Starcraft 2 run on the Macbook? I have an older 2.0GHz C2D white Macbook with 2GB of memory and 9400m graphics and would like to purchase the game when it comes out, but have no idea how well it'll run.

Fridge77

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2010
I have a late 2009 white Macbook with 2.13Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of DDR2 RAM and a 9400m. I got the beta about a week ago, I had hoped to run it at medium but that was just wishful thinking lol.
Turns out it runs perfectly with textures on medium and everything else on low (also turning sound quality down to low did wonders for performance).
Don't let the word "low" turn you away, it looks pretty decent and even if you cringe at first its something that you get used to very quickly.
The only problem I have now is the game taking forever to quit but this is common to both the pc and mac versions (no matter what your specs are) and should be fixed by blizzard soon.
Thankfully there's help on the way for macs as I hear the upcoming patch for Snow Leopard is focusing on graphics (a better driver for the 9400m I hope).

Keep in mind that gaming is pretty much a low level mac's achilles heel. Having said that Blizzard has done a good job making the graphics scalable and allowing the game to work on a wide range of machines. If you're ok with low then get it because Blizzard and Apple will only make playing SC2 better via their dedication to great patches.
Hope that helped

chill.

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2008
2008 unibody macbook 2.4 ghz core 2 duo, 4 gigs ram, 9400m

low settings on osx 10.5.8

medium settings on vista bootcamp

it's an acknowledged issue that the mac version is not optimized and blizzard is working on it. i have only been playing sc2 on bootcamp so far, it just performs a LOT better

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Thanks for the responses guys! I hope Blizzard and/or Apple can do something to up the performance of the game. If not, I wouldn't mind installing Windows 7 on my machine via bootcamp.

Pojo458

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
Medium lags but low works great, even though its on low, it does not hurt gameplay in anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.