Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sshand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Perth, Western Australia
Hello All,

It's been a long time since I have need to post (show's how good Mac OS is). But I do have a problem which hopefully someone can help with.

I recently purchased an Airport Extreme base station (I intended at some future date to purchase a PB). The intention was to use my old Toshiba laptop to surf wirelessly. However I have been unsucessful in loading a web page using the laptop.

Current setup.

I have an ADSL modem connected to the WAN port on the extreme. I have a connection from the LAN port to my iMac. I used airport admin to enter the username and password required to log on to the ADSL network. Everything works beautifully.

Toshiba XP PC setup.

I have a Linksys Wireless-G Notebook Adapter (with SpeedBooster) installed. I am using XP (SP1) to control the adapter. I am using WEP 128 on both the airport and adapter. On the PC I get the signal fine, however the IP address is 169.XXX.XXX.XXX. I understand this is a private one, when there is a DHCP conflict or something like that.

The airport is showing
IP 10.0.1.2
Sub 255.255.255.0
Gateway 10.0.1.1

I suspect this is what I should be getting on the laptop. The only way I can achieve this is by hard wiring the numbers in. Tho this still does not allow me to browse the web.

I have been to the iFelix website and followed the instructions, however no dice.

So back to basics. I should be able to connect the Lan connection directly from the airport to the laptop and be able to load a web page, similar to how I have the iMac setup. This too does not work.

Does anyone have any constructive suggestions. I have done alot of reading on this topic, but without much success.

Thanking in advance.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
- When troubleshooting wireless connections, the first thing to try is to disable encryption. Make sure you can connect to the access point when it is wide open.

- Make sure you're not filtering by MAC address.

- When entering your WEP password on the PC, be sure to use the "wireless equivalent password". This is available from the Airport Admin Utility, and provides the hexadecimal equivalent for the password you've chosen.

sshand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Perth, Western Australia
West Guy..

Thanks for the help..I have solved my problem to a point.

I ended up reloading Windows XP. As it was there seemed to be a problem with the network connection. I am now wireless with my Airport Extreme.

Now I just need to add to my iMac and get a 15" PB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.