PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 Matshita DVD-R... compatible discs

fratkid21
Oct 1, 2004, 11:45 PM
I recently received my iMac G5... i am trying ot burn DVD's... does anyone know what type of DVD-R media (brands) are compatible with this matshita drive... apple seems to no longer be using the pioneer drive...

cluthz
Oct 2, 2004, 04:45 AM
I recently received my iMac G5... i am trying ot burn DVD's... does anyone know what type of DVD-R media (brands) are compatible with this matshita drive... apple seems to no longer be using the pioneer drive...

All brands that are DVD-R (not DVD+R) should work fine with the iMac

wrldwzrd89
Oct 2, 2004, 06:04 AM
Generally, DVD burners (including the ones Apple uses in their Macs) aren't too picky about the brand, as long as you're using DVD-R discs (not DVD+R - I've heard only spotty reports of successful burns using those, and only under Panther). I use the discs Apple sells at their Apple Stores just because I know Apple trusts them and I want to support Apple however I can.

Elan0204
Oct 2, 2004, 11:28 AM
I've only burned a couple of discs on my iMac G5, but I can tell you what results I've gotten:

I've burnt on DVD-R disc, and it was sucessful. It was a Verbatim DVD-R disc rated for 1X to 4X burning. I bought a spindle of 50 at Best Buy awhile back and have been using them on my PowerBook with an external burner for a while. I've never had a failed burn on the external drive with this media, and the one disc I used in my iMac G5 worked great.

I have also written to and erased a couple times a Memorex DVD+RW. Yes, that's right, DVD+RW. The media is rated at 4X, but the SuperDrive in the iMac G5 can only burn RW media at 2X. This was using Toast, and I had no problems. It is worth noting that the Finder did recognize the disc as blank, and asked me what I wanted to do with it, so it is possible that the built-in disc burning would have worked fine too.

By the way, the Pioneer drives Apple uses are always tray loading. The slot loading drives have always been Matshita, and the drive in the iMac G5 is the same drive used in the PowerBooks.

Hope that helps!

wrldwzrd89
Oct 2, 2004, 12:51 PM
I've only burned a couple of discs on my iMac G5, but I can tell you what results I've gotten:

I've burnt on DVD-R disc, and it was sucessful. It was a Verbatim DVD-R disc rated for 1X to 4X burning. I bought a spindle of 50 at Best Buy awhile back and have been using them on my PowerBook with an external burner for a while. I've never had a failed burn on the external drive with this media, and the one disc I used in my iMac G5 worked great.

I have also written to and erased a couple times a Memorex DVD+RW. Yes, that's right, DVD+RW. The media is rated at 4X, but the SuperDrive in the iMac G5 can only burn RW media at 2X. This was using Toast, and I had no problems. It is worth noting that the Finder did recognize the disc as blank, and asked me what I wanted to do with it, so it is possible that the built-in disc burning would have worked fine too.

By the way, the Pioneer drives Apple uses are always tray loading. The slot loading drives have always been Matshita, and the drive in the iMac G5 is the same drive used in the PowerBooks.

Hope that helps!
Like I said in my earlier post, Elan0204, some people have gotten it to work with DVD+R/RW (like you), but others have not gotten successful burns. I think it depends on what drive you have in your Mac whether or not it'll work.

Elan0204
Oct 2, 2004, 02:03 PM
Like I said in my earlier post, Elan0204, some people have gotten it to work with DVD+R/RW (like you), but others have not gotten successful burns. I think it depends on what drive you have in your Mac whether or not it'll work.

I'd imagine that all iMac G5s have the same SuperDrive, and since the original poster has an iMac G5, I don't think he/she will have a problem burning to DVD+R(W) discs. You are right though, people with other drives may have differenct experiences.

iMeowbot
Oct 2, 2004, 02:17 PM
Verbatim/Mitsubishi is a safe bet, since that's what the Apple-branded disks are.

edesignuk
Oct 2, 2004, 02:19 PM
I use the discs Apple sells at their Apple Stores just because I know Apple trusts them and I want to support Apple however I can.Apple media is a HUGE rip-off!!!!!! They want 9 for 5 4x DVD-R discs! :eek: :eek: It's crazy paying that kind of money when you can get top class DVD-Rs for 20-30p a disc. I just got 100 4x for 25, from Apple that'd have cost 180 :eek:

There's nothing "special" about Apple media, don't let them rip you off.

wrldwzrd89
Oct 2, 2004, 02:22 PM
Apple media is a HUGE rip-off!!!!!! They want 9 for 5 4x DVD-R discs! :eek: :eek: It's crazy paying that kind of money when you can get top class DVD-Rs for 20-30p a disc. I just got 100 4x for 25, from Apple that'd have cost 180 :eek:

I don't know of any other places near me where I can find DVD-R media. I wonder if OfficeMax has them? They have a store not too far from where I live. There's also a Walmart and a Kmart nearby.

edesignuk
Oct 2, 2004, 02:25 PM
I don't know of any other places near me where I can find DVD-R media. I wonder if OfficeMax has them? They have a store not too far from where I live. There's also a Walmart and a Kmart nearby.That's why we have internet shopping ;)

wrldwzrd89
Oct 2, 2004, 02:27 PM
That's why we have internet shopping ;)
I'd rather not buy media online - but that's just me. You can if you want - it doesn't (and shouldn't) matter to me.

iMeowbot
Oct 2, 2004, 02:35 PM
I don't know of any other places near me where I can find DVD-R media. I wonder if OfficeMax has them? They have a store not too far from where I live. There's also a Walmart and a Kmart nearby.
I've definitely bought them at OfficeMax before. Even the stationery section at the local Stop & Shop (supermarket) carries them.

edesignuk
Oct 2, 2004, 02:38 PM
I'd rather not buy media online - but that's just me. You can if you want - it doesn't (and shouldn't) matter to me.Hey, you wanna waste your money, doesn't bother me...just lettin' you know Apple DVD's are an enormous rip-off - but that's just me ;) :D :p

NusuniAdmin
Oct 2, 2004, 02:39 PM
You can actually burn DVD+R on all of apple's current computers (with superdrive of course), I have tested this myself (have not tested imac g5 though!). The superdrive is rated to burn dvd+r but apple is too dumb and too headstrong to support this in apps such as idvd. But you can with an app such as Toast.

johnnyjibbs
Oct 2, 2004, 03:03 PM
Apple media is a HUGE rip-off!!!!!! They want 9 for 5 4x DVD-R discs! :eek: :eek: It's crazy paying that kind of money when you can get top class DVD-Rs for 20-30p a disc. I just got 100 4x for 25, from Apple that'd have cost 180 :eek:

Out of interest, edesignuk, care to tell a fellow essex boy what site you got those bargain discs from and what brand they are? I might have some of that too, as Apple's are expensive!

edesignuk
Oct 2, 2004, 03:06 PM
Out of interest, edesignuk, care to tell a fellow essex boy what site you got those bargain discs from and what brand they are? I might have some of that too, as Apple's are expensive!BigPockets.co.uk (http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/product.php?lang=&product=DVR8012-100&session=e8ec747a762a8e879f6391b8cee7c0c0) - 100 4x 4.7GB Printable DVD-R w/ Ritek Dye (the good stuff).

johnnyjibbs
Oct 2, 2004, 03:37 PM
Good stuff, thanks.

Jovian9
Oct 2, 2004, 05:16 PM
I have used all kinds of dvd-r's over the 2 1/2 yrs I've had Macs with superdrives (and I've had both Matshita and Pioneer drives in my Macs). All of them have worked.....though the most generic of them (those I got in bulk on eBay....back in the day when dvd-r's were $5+/each) would sometimes not burn at the speed they said they would....so I'd have to cut the burn speed in half.

ChrisFromCanada
Oct 2, 2004, 05:50 PM
My simple list:

Worked:
TDK
Memorex
Apple (DUH!)

Didnt Work:
Cicero

fratkid21
Oct 3, 2004, 04:40 PM
Thank you all for your help and information....
At office max in this sundays paper, they have Spin-X 4X dvd-r on sale for 5 bucks for a 10 pack.....i will try these out tomorrow...

also check bizrate.com. they compare prices of all kinds of stuff...

jimsowden
Oct 3, 2004, 05:54 PM
I get DVD-R spindels from New Egg. There prices are Great! Unifino 100 pack DVD-R 4x for $34! Not one coaser!