PDA

View Full Version : Wireless on Campus

asdf123
Oct 2, 2004, 02:06 AM
So I've recently purchased a powerbook 12", but I have some wireless issues. First, I use the book at school, and sometimes i like to hook-up to the network via wifi....but most of the time, i dont have a sold connection, but the pc-laptops around do. What's that about?? And...I have a linksys wireless access point at home that I took from my old house...I had WEP set on it, but I forgot the password. So now its unusable?

ben

Celeron
Oct 2, 2004, 07:51 AM
You may get a lower bar for any number of a reasons. First, there may be intereference between you and the access point even though the PC users are getting a good signal. Second, the PC users could be transmitting at a high power than you and are thereby drowning out your signal. Third, the wire connecting your airport card to the internal PB antenna may be loose - check to make sure its firmly connected.

About your Linksys access point. No, its not unusable, all you need to do is a hard reset. There should be a reset button on the front or the back that you need to push with a pen. Hold it in until the red diagnosis light comes on (older models) or the power light blinks (newer models). You will need to reconfigure everything afterwords as it will be as though you just took it out of the box.

nels0360
Oct 2, 2004, 01:01 PM
Celeron's instructions on reseting the router will fix the problem.

As far as the PB Airport reception goes, I have noticed that most laptop PCs get better reception that the PowerBook does. Some PC laptops can connect to wireless networks that my PowerBook 12" can't even see.

switchedanhappy
Oct 2, 2004, 11:29 PM
I heard the alu case resticts reception. something i hope they'll clear up later. (even though I'd choose the nice alu case over perfect reception any day, just to see the envious stare of pos pc laptop users.

friarbayliff
Oct 3, 2004, 12:26 AM
For me, it works to the exact opposite. I generally get far better wireless reception with my powerbook than any other PC laptop. In some extreme cases, I've gotten a very strong signal in places that pc-users can't even see the access point.