Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsaploy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
Hi Everybody:

Background:
Well, Western Digital is shipping me a replacement 200 gB Eide ATA-100 HD - which is going into an external firewire/usb enclosure (Ultraproducts 3.5')

Question 1: How should I jumper the drive to use it as an external firewire?

Question 2: Is it normally possible/impossible to upload mini-dv video directly from my mini-dv Canon zr50MC to the external drive?

Or - Should I upload the video to my internal drive - and then copy it to the external FW drive?

Question 3: What file format is the most current one to use on an OS 10.3.5 based system?

I'm just getting back into Macs again - last time I owned a Mac was in 1994.

(Ever hear of a company called "Spyglass"? I did some products for them way back when - 1992 -4. Bonus points to anybody who can name two things that made Spyglass historically important?)

Thanks,

M R

rand()

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2004
Michigan
itsaploy said:
Question 2: Is it normally possible/impossible to upload mini-dv video directly from my mini-dv Canon zr50MC to the external drive?

Or - Should I upload the video to my internal drive - and then copy it to the external FW drive?

I'm not sure if you can simply plug the camera into the drive and upload video - might be something interesting to test. My guess would be no.

But if you're importing video in iMovie or Final Cut, yes, you can capture video directly to an external FireWire drive. There's plenty of bandwidth there. Although, I don't recommend daisy-chaining the camera into the drive, run both seperate firewires into the two ports on your computer, if possible.

-rand()

yey365

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2004
Jumper Settings

External enclosures for drives usually require the jumper to be set to master. The controller car within the enclosure will ensure that there are no conflicts with internal drives.

itsaploy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
good nes.

Thanks guys for all the authoritative answers.

I guess I misspoke when I asked about uploading video directly to the ext HD - of course I meant uploading the video using iMove or FCP to the ext drive.

Thanks again!

M. R.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I guess I'll add onto the tail end here instead of starting a new thread (novel idea I know!).

I'm just ordered a 250 GB ext HD today. I'm bought it soley to use for video editing using FCE 2.0 on my iBook G4 800. Yeah it's not going to be zippy fast but... I couldn't (reasonably) justify buying an iMac G5 to edit one video project. Soooooooooo....

Is there any way I should partition it? I'm only editing about 2 1/2 hours of DV. Since my iBook only has one firewire port I'm going to have to run the video through the ext HD to get it onto the ext HD (which is silly but you gotta do what you gotta do). If I get dropped frames I do have the option of using a friends PowerMac G5 just to get the video on the ext HD so it won't be a total loss anyhow.

I'll probably leave it as one big partition unless told otherwise... once I'm done editing the project I'll wipe it and use it for backup and storage most likely.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
SilentPanda said:
I guess I'll add onto the tail end here instead of starting a new thread (novel idea I know!).

I'm just ordered a 250 GB ext HD today. I'm bought it soley to use for video editing using FCE 2.0 on my iBook G4 800. Yeah it's not going to be zippy fast but... I couldn't (reasonably) justify buying an iMac G5 to edit one video project. Soooooooooo....

Is there any way I should partition it? I'm only editing about 2 1/2 hours of DV. Since my iBook only has one firewire port I'm going to have to run the video through the ext HD to get it onto the ext HD (which is silly but you gotta do what you gotta do). If I get dropped frames I do have the option of using a friends PowerMac G5 just to get the video on the ext HD so it won't be a total loss anyhow.

I'll probably leave it as one big partition unless told otherwise... once I'm done editing the project I'll wipe it and use it for backup and storage most likely.
Leave it as one big partition. That way, if you decide to do any more video editing on that iBook, you won't have to worry about running out of space unexpectedly. Also, if your current project grows, you'll know that you have plenty of room for expansion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.