Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcphone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2004
San Jose CA
I just switched from PC to Mac. I bought a powerbook G4 and want to do printing on my HP LaserJet 5L. However, the printer only has a parallel port that the powerbook does not have. Just wonder if there is anyway to print
from my powerbook without going through a PC. Any suggestion?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
mcphone said:
I just switched from PC to Mac. I bought a powerbook G4 and want to do printing on my HP LaserJet 5L. However, the printer only has a parallel port that the powerbook does not have. Just wonder if there is anyway to print
from my powerbook without going through a PC. Any suggestion?
If I wanted to spend money on an experiment, I would buy PowerPrint for the MacOS 9 driver and the USB to parallel converter. I would download the GIMP-print drivers. Hopefully, CUPS will have no problems using the USB to parallel converter to communicate between your computer and printer.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
I realize this may sound insensitive. "LET THE STINKING PARELLEL PORT PRINTER GO!!!!" Ok... I feel better. Seriously, USB is soooooooo much better. You should have been able to get a "free" HP 5740 inkjet. I realize it's not a laser, however it's a decent printer. I wouldn't even recommend using that printer with a new PeeCee. :rolleyes:

mflender

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2004
HP 5L

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=USB2DB25M&cat=CBL
This is the best price on the cable I could find. Go to Printer Setup Utility in Macintosh HD>Applications>Utilities. Open it. Go to add printer. Choose USB instead of Rendezvous. Choose HP under drivers and select the HP Laserjet 5 Series Gimp-Print Driver. Should work like a champ. $8 plus shipping versus a new printer.

Mike

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
You could also look into a print server. Many manufacturers offer these including Linksys, d-link, and other networking companies. I use a model I got from ebay for $20 and although I think it is older than me (27), it does the job and satisfies my geeky tendencies since it has a terminal interface.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.