Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B A S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
I've ordered a new Macbook Pro, i7/8GB RAM (hi res/antiglare screen),
I'm having Windows 7 installed on it, I want make the most of the 8gb of ram so 64-bit version would be first choice, is anyone running the 64bit version without any problems?
It's been flagged to me there might be compatibility issues..
When not using OS X programs (photoshop and Logic is the Macpro's main use) I'll be running FL STUDIO in windows 7 which is according to Microsoft's compatibility page is fine with both 32bit and 64bit...

I need to tell the shop asap which version of Windows7 Pro to order.
Thanks all!

It's my first Macbook Pro!

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
Ever since Macs got the Core 2 Duos, the architecture has been 64-bit. Therefore, any 64-bit flavor of Windows will run without trouble.

Congratulations on your purchase!

Cider Hammer

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2010
BAS

I have the 17" i7, w/ 8G Ram, anti glare 512 SSD and have installed Win 7 64 bit. Everything has been great. Your going to love it! :)

B A S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
Thanks for the swift replies that reassuring :)
I just thought when booting as windows and and progrmmes are updating and registering online, should I be running the pc virus programmes,firewall etc or is it different because it's within bootcamp?

B A S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
When windows is installed is it better done through bootcamp or parallels. I am mainly using windows to run FL Studio a pc program similar to Logic

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
When windows is installed is it better done through bootcamp or parallels. I am mainly using windows to run FL Studio a pc program similar to Logic

If you'll be using the computer primarily in windows, then bootcamp. You'll have access to the hardware which will provide you with better performance.

If you were planning on being in OSX for most of the time, then VMware would be a better response.

B A S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
Sorry to clarify, I'm running Photoshop in OS X mainly.
I'd read that bootcamp was better for Windows audio programmes to do with latency issues.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
... I'm having Windows 7 installed on it, I want make the most of the 8gb of ram so 64-bit version would be first choice, is anyone running the 64bit version without any problems? ... It's been flagged to me there might be compatibility issues..

Some folks have an aversion to 64-bit OS versions (Vista-64, W-7 64-bit, MacOS X Snowleopard) because they may have to get a new printer (some older printers never had their drivers updated). IMHO, this is a really bad reason to not go 64-bits. 64-bit OS's have major security advantages. In the case of Windows 7, ASLR, and H/W DEP, add a significant security capability that you should take advantage of, that basically make irrelevant a lot of old viruses and exploits (yes, there are newer, vastly more sophisticated exploits being deployed now). Compared to the cost of a printer (some printers are incredibly cheap now!), the cost of a security compromise in lost time and productivity is huge.

B A S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
Update:
Received shiny macbook pro today, got it home...
it boots into windows 7...
So, went online with it and installed Microsoft Security Essentials as recommended, and windows 7 updates, then installed Firefox (preferred browser over internet explorer)... to find out how to switch back to OS X...
found to options:
1. go to control panel / startup disk and change it there
2.hold option when rebooting.

1 in control panel there isn't a "startup disk" menu option.

2 I held option and got to a text saying use arrow keys to select operating system. Using arrow keys does nothing, appears as if only one operating system is available?

Will have to phone shop for answers in the morning, unless anyone has any advice here???

B A S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
Really?
Actually this was done by the shop I bought it from,
Definately going to be paying them a visit tomorrow....

B A S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
Update:
All has now been resolved...
Company I bought macbook pro from replied and explained what to do.
Holding the alt key at startup brings up the options for either OS X or Windows 7... and OS X is now the default
(The holding x or option key advice was I found on a resource site to be ignored)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.