Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaskedCarrot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Northern VA
I really want to get a bi-fold style case for my iPad and can't seem to choose one. That is what stinks about ordering online. If you don't like it, then it's a pain in the butt to return it.

I have been reading in this forum and basically consolidated a list of the best ones. I was originally thinking of getting the Apple case, but I saw one today and I didn't like the material and people are right when they say it gets dirty real easy. So that case it out. Here is the list I compiled from threads on here:

Cases:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003JKH3MQ/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A3JRBTF3T7J4ZI

http://www.cases.com/paaipadhm.htm

http://www.marware.com/products/iPa...88cbdc177099bc52.e3eTaxeKbh0Te34Pa38Ta38MbNj0

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=510088#

I don't really care if it props up up the phone is 5 different places, I mainly want it to protect the phone and cover the screen when I am not using it. I do prefer leather.

It would be nice if there were specialty stores which sold these that you can go look at in person.

So people chime in on which case you like / purchased and why.

MaskedCarrot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Northern VA
What really irkes me is the fact that the cases are so much money.

These companies are cashing in because the iPad is so popular. There is no way some of these cases cost anywhere near $59 - $69 to make.

I was leaning towards the PDair case, but I don't like the round magnets on the corners. Plus I don't like the idea of having magnets that close to the device. My pouch I wear for my iPhone has Velcro which I think is better.

Now I am leaning more towards the InCase Jacket.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H0958ZM/A?fnode=MTc0MjU2Mjc&mco=MTc0MjY5MTU

w4rmk

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Be aware of some issues with the Incase, it's quite thick and kind of ruins the size of the iPad, also there is no flap holding the iPad along the left slide so you are always pushing it back in. I also think the elastic strap will stretch out over time.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I wish there was a more form fitting case for the iPad. I am coming from the Sony Reader lineup that had a simple cover that could be installed on the device itself.

I would love to see a form fitting shell type case with a front cover that flips over to behind the unit like a magazine. Keeps the sleek the form factor of the device while protecting the back and screen at the same time.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I wish there was a more form fitting case for the iPad. I am coming from the Sony Reader lineup that had a simple cover that could be installed on the device itself.

I would love to see a form fitting shell type case with a front cover that flips over to behind the unit like a magazine. Keeps the sleek the form factor of the device while protecting the back and screen at the same time.

I'm surprised there hasn't been something like this yet. I love my speck candyshell, but it would rock more if there was a flap on the screen of some sort.

Of course, we are just only seeing the beginning of what is to come!

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
My problem is there are plenty of cases, but they all force you to compromise in some way, and I'm not going to do that for $50. Right now I just use a $10 silicone skin. It protects the back and sides and doesn't add much weight. I'd love a case with a tilt stand like the Apple case but haven't found one worth the bucks yet -- considering I'll be getting next years model and guarantee you next years model will not fit this years case, so that is money down the pisser.

ddragovi

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2008
I must have looked at about 50 different folding cases in the hunt for the perfect one, and have yet to find it. Just want something slim, that holds the iPad perfectly, protects the screen and has a cover that either stays shut magnetically or by a band. It needs to be made from high-quality materials and constructed very well. I would pay top $ for all of that before i spend $40 on a less than perfect case.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I must have looked at about 50 different folding cases in the hunt for the perfect one, and have yet to find it. Just want something slim, that holds the iPad perfectly, protects the screen and has a cover that either stays shut magnetically or by a band. It needs to be made from high-quality materials and constructed very well. I would pay top $ for all of that before i spend $40 on a less than perfect case.
I'd pay top dollar for a folio case that has no back... just a cover to protect the screen and hinge clips so that it can fold back (or partially back as a stand) when the device is being used.

ddragovi

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2008
I'll just stuff mine in this for the time being :rolleyes:
stupid-ipad-case.jpg

Only $350 haha

That's a different idea, a folio with no back, I think I would prefer a leather back instead of nothing on mine though.

MaskedCarrot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Northern VA
The Apple case would be much better if the casing didn't get so dirty. I think it was a bad choice of material.

I never understand how many things get to market with such obvious design flaws which are so in your face that quality control should see at first glance.

I keep looking at the cases, but unfortunately they are all online and ya can't see them in person.

jw nyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
I've been looking for a nice folio case as well and settled on the Griffin Elan Passport. I ordered from Buy.com yesterday and will update when I receive it. I hate the Apple case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.