PDA

View Full Version : Xcode - what version?

Darbydoggy
Oct 2, 2004, 09:28 PM
My Powerbook shipped with Xcode 1.1 which I have installed. Should I bother updating to 1.2 or 1.5? Or, should I plan on updating when I upgrade to tiger (which I am assuming will ship with a newer version of Xcode)?

I am only learning to program with cocoa / Xcode with no previous experiecne (wierd hobby huh?). I am not doing any serious work and hope to learn enough to try out some simple projects. Is upgrading a necesity, or will 1.1 work well for me? Can I continue projects started in 1.1 in a later version of Xcode if I don't update to a newer version now?

Thanks for any advice!

NusuniAdmin
Oct 2, 2004, 09:32 PM
I had problems with xcode 1.5 when i first upped to it but now all is fine. I recommened it. It seems to be faster and have faster compilation than older ones.

and yes if you start a program in 1.1 and upp to lets say the tiger xcode you will stil lbe able to open the program source

jsw
Oct 2, 2004, 09:37 PM
As mentioned, the source code will (of course) be readable by any future version of Xcode. Apple has also been really good about having newer versions of Xcode seamlessly (or with a prompt if it need to overwrite them) read older projects.