Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iTouchRumors

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2010
Hey,

First of all, I'm new to this forum, so let me introduce myself quickly...
I'm Tom, live in Belgium, and own an Ipod Classic but am looking forward to getting an Ipod Touch, & thereby I have done a lot of research.

As you all know (I presume), Apple has recently leaked their iPhone 4G, and now its new design and some hardware information is known thanks to hardware site Gizmodo.
There's been a lot of hype going on about this new iPhone, but so far no-one has paid any attention to how this new design may reflect on the next iPod Touch...

iPhone and iPod Touch have always been close brothers when it comes to appearance, and that's what leads me to believe that the next iPod Touch will have the same design as the leaked iPhone 4 (or 4G).

ipodtouch4copy.png

ipodtouch2copy.png

The new iPhone uses special materials for the backside to prevent signals getting slowed down or blocked, and as the iPod Touch doesn't have this maybe some more silvery material could be used, like in the image below.

ipodtouch1copy.png

What do you people think?

Cheers ;)!

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
doubtful. A realistic iPod Touch redesign is the exact same enclosure with a camera and a higher resolution display. There might be a chance that they move to anodized aluminum like the iPad, but flagship iPods have always had a stainless steel back and I would argue that this sort of legacy is important.

I doubt they will add more features that would require a thicker enclosure, so just more of the same.

lyons238

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2010
honestly that design is pretty ugly. its not as bad for the iphone but if they made the itouch look like that id be disappointed. im happy with my 3rd gen 64gb itouch anyway

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
doubtful. A realistic iPod Touch redesign is the exact same enclosure with a camera and a higher resolution display. There might be a chance that they move to anodized aluminum like the iPad, but flagship iPods have always had a stainless steel back and I would argue that this sort of legacy is important.

I doubt they will add more features that would require a thicker enclosure, so just more of the same.

I agree with you on the display and I think we might get a slight revision to the form factor (to fit a higher capacity battery). We will however not see a camera in this year's revision (my opinion).

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008
I am leaning towards an exterior design change rather than keeping the same appearance for a 3rd year. I think we will also see a higher resolution screen, improved battery and the CPU will be an underclocked version of the iPads A4 with the processor, the graphics, the I/O, the memory controller all within the one chip. RAM will stay at 256MB as will the 32\64GB storage capacities.

Still not sure if we will see the mythical camera beast this year but if we do hopefully it will be along the lines of the current iPhone and not as basic as the current Nano offering. The entry point 2G 8GB will be replaced with a lower capacity 3G.

iTouchRumors

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2010
I am leaning towards an exterior design change rather than keeping the same appearance for a 3rd year. I think we will also see a higher resolution screen, improved battery and the CPU will be an underclocked version of the iPads A4 with the processor, the graphics, the I/O, the memory controller all within the one chip.

I would expect something like that too, and would love to see a refresh in appearance :)... afterall, Apple has done so with the upcoming iPhone 4G :D.
Not sure about if the price will change or not, since other MP3 players always fall in prices rapidly...
Even though I do hope the camera will be there, what would YOU prefer to see? improved hardware (as in screen, cpu, battery..) or a camera with new software?

pavenger

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008
Spokane, WA USA
I desperately hope Apple does something to make the iPod Touch "fresh" I feel like the design is getting VERY dated and I personally despise the polished aluminum back... I would much rather see it look like the iPad's enclosure... and being that the iPod touch has always had a very slight edge over the iPhone in terms of processors and memory, we can only assume that the new iPod Touch will have nearly identical internals to the iPhone. As for the camera though, I would love if they could fit the new camera(s) into the iPod, the front facing video camera would make an app like Skype so much more useful and I would love to have the ability to grab some quick videos... I think Apple could really do some damage on Cisco if they put in a decent camera with resolution comparable to their Mino HD. I know these are all fantasies and we will probably only see a couple of the hardware revisions that we all want but we can hope and dream, right? I'll keep my fingers crossed for a new enclosure though.

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008
I would expect something like that too, and would love to see a refresh in appearance :)... afterall, Apple has done so with the upcoming iPhone 4G :D.
Not sure about if the price will change or not, since other MP3 players always fall in prices rapidly...
Even though I do hope the camera will be there, what would YOU prefer to see? improved hardware (as in screen, cpu, battery..) or a camera with new software?

You know I was pretty cut when the camera was left out last year and saw no value in updating my 2G but in all honesty as much as I love the idea of having a camera on the touch the reality is I would rarely use it if at all so an iPhone 4G'esk design revamp with the new architecture CPU, HD screen and improved battery life would be my preferred updates.

longball11

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2009
I'm starting to think that the entire iPod lineup (except shuffle) may get a redesign. All of them have had the same form for 2 years.

iTouchRumors

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2010
I'm starting to think that the entire iPod lineup (except shuffle) may get a redesign. All of them have had the same form for 2 years.
Yeah.. especially the iPod Classic :eek:, maybe they could have a look at that & bring it in again :D!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.