Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
I have the case and don't like it. I thought I would but after using it it feels cheap and the little flap is always in the way no matter how you use it.

I've since found a few others I like better. It's a nice case and there is nothing wrong with it, I just don't care for it myself.

I'm waiting on a PDair case and currently using the Beklin around the house.
When I leave the house I'm stuck using the Apple case.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I am about to order the Griffin Elan Passport for my iPad but wanted to know if anyone has first hand experience with the case and their thoughts. It seems to be a good case for work and looks professional. Thoughts?

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/elan-passport-ipad#

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

I'm loving mine. Besides looking like a professional folio, its biggest benefit to me is the ease in which the iPad can be added/removed due to the four corner strap design it takes. I'm an executive dad with 3 iPad crazy kids under the age of 12. For them, I leave the iPad in the Belkin Grip Vue and then put it in the Griffin Passport when its time for work. Its the only folio that allows you to put the iPad in it a) with a grip case on it and b) get it in/out so quickly for those situations that call for it.

Add to that the way it can stand on its own, has business card holders and a pocket to place a screen-cleaning cloth and its really versatile too.

BJ

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
I'm loving mine. Besides looking like a professional folio, its biggest benefit to me is the ease in which the iPad can be added/removed due to the four corner strap design it takes. I'm an executive dad with 3 iPad crazy kids under the age of 12. For them, I leave the iPad in the Belkin Grip Vue and then put it in the Griffin Passport when its time for work. Its the only folio that allows you to put the iPad in it a) with a grip case on it and b) get it in/out so quickly for those situations that call for it.

BJ

I do like the fact that you can leave a back cover on it.

I would like to have a folio case that I can use with the Switcheasy Nude back cover on, and still quickly get my iPad in and out of.

This looks like a candidate.

Any other suggestions?

mntentman

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2007

Add to that the way it can stand on its own, has business card holders and a pocket to place a screen-cleaning cloth and its really versatile too.

BJ

With all due respect, what these previously posted photos don't show you very well is that while the iPad with fit with the Grip Vue on, it doesn't fit very well. If you look closely, you'll see the iPad won't slide far enough toward the right, so it stays over the middle point of the inside of the case. That means the case won't close just right (edges are not even) and it makes the case bulge a bit. If you can live with that, fine... it might be a decent solution for a cover that will fit with the Passport, but it is far from perfect.

Attachments

• edgewithgrip copy.jpg
    edgewithgrip copy.jpg
    572.8 KB · Views: 110
  • withoutgripvue.jpg
    withoutgripvue.jpg
    610.7 KB · Views: 78
  • passportedgenogrip copy.jpg
    passportedgenogrip copy.jpg
    953.8 KB · Views: 104
  • passportwithgripvue copy.jpg
    passportwithgripvue copy.jpg
    792.4 KB · Views: 94

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
With all due respect, what these previously posted photos don't show you very well is that while the iPad with fit with the Grip Vue on, it doesn't fit very well. If you look closely, you'll see the iPad won't slide far enough toward the right, so it stays over the middle point of the inside of the case. That means the case won't close just right (edges are not even) and it makes the case bulge a bit. If you can live with that, fine... it might be a decent solution for a cover that will fit with the Passport, but it is far from perfect.

You need to tug a bit on the outer (non elastic) corner straps. Once they loosen up all the symptoms you describe disappear.

I do not have an issue with the cover. It lies down on the iPad screen perfectly flat without being held down by the closure.

I do not have the iPad "too much to the right" because of the aforementioned stretching of the outer straps.

I have no bulging either.

Give it a little time and/or gently stretch the two non-elastic leather straps. I've owned this case for over a week now and its terrific. Does its job with the second Belkin skin in place.

BJ

TheLee

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2006
how does it work for typing? can you fold back the front cover and make for a semi-ok typing surface?

is it bulky to hold in portrait? or do you just use this for transportation and keep a belkin grip vue in stow for normal use.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
how does it work for typing? can you fold back the front cover and make for a semi-ok typing surface?

is it bulky to hold in portrait? or do you just use this for transportation and keep a belkin grip vue in stow for normal use.

The foldback gives it a bit of elevation, but not what I would call a great typing surface.

Not bulky in portrait. But like all folio's the foldback adds a quarter inch of width in the hands. As you point out, you can always remove it and just portrait-type in its already-installed Belkin Grip Vue.

I use the Griffin Passport for transportation and non-typing activities in meetings. Just open the cover, start surfing, looking at PDF's, reports, etc. If its time for serious typing, I remove it and portrait-type with the Grip Vue in hands.

BJ

jeffgtr

macrumors regular
May 9, 2005
Mine is falling apart

I have this case, the stitching is coming loose and I don't like the little flap thing that is supposed to hold it closed. I think the quality of this case is low for the price I paid.

mntentman

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2007
You need to tug a bit on the outer (non elastic) corner straps. Once they loosen up all the symptoms you describe disappear.

I do not have an issue with the cover. It lies down on the iPad screen perfectly flat without being held down by the closure.

I do not have the iPad "too much to the right" because of the aforementioned stretching of the outer straps.

I have no bulging either.

Give it a little time and/or gently stretch the two non-elastic leather straps. I've owned this case for over a week now and its terrific. Does its job with the second Belkin skin in place.

BJ

I'll give it some time, but we may have to agree to disagree. YMMV, but in my experience so far, while the Grip Vue and Passport Elan technically do fit together, the combination is not perfect... and you can tell they were not really designed to work in tandem. I just want someone considering this to realize they may have issues. I believed from posts here that they are great together, and I was disappointed. The iPad with Grip Vue on is just too bulky inside the Passport... it's close, but not quite there, IMO. Like I said, YMMV.

And, like some posters have said, I am a little disappointed by the Passport's quality. It's just not as professional-looking as its price tag might indicate. Just a little cheap looking... not terrible, but a little cheap.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I'll give it some time, but we may have to agree to disagree. YMMV, but in my experience so far, while the Grip Vue and Passport Elan technically do fit together, the combination is not perfect... and you can tell they were not really designed to work in tandem. I just want someone considering this to realize they may have issues. I believed from posts here that they are great together, and I was disappointed. The iPad with Grip Vue on is just too bulky inside the Passport... it's close, but not quite there, IMO. Like I said, YMMV.

First off, I apologize if I led you to believe that the Belkin and Griffin products were designed to work together. I thought I made it clear that I was looking for a solution that gave me the "dad" look at work and the "kids" protection at home without having to peel the Grip Vue off the iPad 7x a week. There is no folio designed specifically for this purpose, so my search was for something that could work despite this.

Secondly, because the iPad + Grip Vue is obviously thicker than just the iPad alone, it stands to reason that the leather straps and spine fold need a week or so to re-adjust and stretch a bit.

Having the Elan Passport for a week now, I can tell you that its broken-in nicely and closes properly and has no warpage and looks professional at work. It's sort of like a baseball glove. Just needs some time on the wrist to break itself in and feel right.

BJ

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
In my experience so far, while the Grip Vue and Passport Elan technically do fit together, the combination is not perfect...
That's my take on it as well, but like mntentman, I've only had my Passport Elan for a few days now and so perhaps it hasn't had time to get "broken in." ;)

Other than that, I'm quite happy with it. I think it looks nice and have no qualms about the workmanship. My only gripe would be that the placement of the tabs (especially the one in the upper right-hand corner) interferes with some of the iPad controls, as dagomike mentioned previously.

jw nyc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
I just received my griffin élan passport and all I have to say is what a piece of garbage. I tried it for literally 5 minutes and immediately requested a return from the company I bought it from. The "leather" feels cheap, the cover is soft (no protection) the orientation lock is covered, one of the speakers is covered, it's unusable as a stand. Overall just a bad bad product. Anyone recommend any other leather folios?

phil75

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2010
Have you seen Proporta Recycled Leather Case or DODOcase? I think you'll like them.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
I just received my griffin élan passport and all I have to say is what a piece of garbage. I tried it for literally 5 minutes and immediately requested a return from the company I bought it from. The "leather" feels cheap, the cover is soft (no protection) the orientation lock is covered, one of the speakers is covered, it's unusable as a stand. Overall just a bad bad product. Anyone recommend any other leather folios?

I felt the same even tho it's still a nice case and there is nothing wrong with it some may not like it and some may. Anyway I dumped mine 3 1/2 seconds after getting it.

The PDair case has kept me happy. Real leather, no flap, fits tights. Can't tell it's an iPad till its open. It's a keeper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.