Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

143145-next_gen_iphone.jpg

MobileCrunch speculates on some changes they've seen in the upgrade eligibility dates on AT&T's wireless site. One of their readers claimed that their upgrade eligibility date recently moved up from 11/21 to 6/21. Of course, the speculation leads them down various theories, though we suspect they are reading too much into it.

Upgrade eligibility has been a hot topic whenever Apple introduces a new iPhone, so it's no surprise that customers are already looking ahead in anticipation of a new iPhone release. Like most wireless carriers, AT&T subsidizes the cost of the iPhone when customers sign up for a 2 year contract. Because of this up-front discount, customers are expected to stay with the contract or alternatively pay an early termination fee. The "upgrade eligibility" date is simply the date that the customer is released from this obligation, and will again qualify for a new subsidized phone without penalty.

Last year, AT&T explained what factors go into determining how long before a customer becomes eligible again.
Importantly, we want our customers to better understand our wireless device upgrade program. Like most U.S. carriers, we offer a variety of phones that we sell below our actual cost when customers agree to sign service agreements. In general, the more a customer spends with us, the quicker they become eligible for a price break on a new device. For example, iPhone customers who spend more than $99 a month per line with us generally are eligible for an upgrade between 12 and 18 months into their contract.
So those who are paying the higher monthly plans will become eligible earlier. The earliest that AT&T offers iPhone 3GS customers a chance to upgrade without penalty is June 21, 2010. The significance of this date is simply that it is 12 months (to the business day) following the launch day of the iPhone 3GS.

Current eligibility dates are listed in your wireless AT&T account, though we caution getting to worried about it at this time. Last year, AT&T modified the eligibility dates at the last minute to accommodate more customers.

Apple is widely expected to announce the next iPhone at WWDC 2010 in June.

Article Link: AT&T Upgrade Eligibility Questions Raised Ahead of Next iPhone

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Wow, 6mo on an 11-year contract? Imagine having the same phone now in 6/21, it would look ancient! ;)

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
I've been eligible since last november.... got my 3gs when I added a line for my wife and gave HER my 3g! June can't come soon enough.... :D

tacoshell

Contributor
Oct 9, 2008
I seem to remember that the your contract is two years, but you are upgrade eligible earlier. It is so you are able to get a new AT&T phone before your contract expires, at which time you would be free to change carriers and get a new phone on another network. It is basically their way of keeping you in house.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Wow, 6mo on an 11-year contract? Imagine having the same phone now in 6/21, it would look ancient! ;)

:D Nice catch.

I can't wait to upgrade from my 2g. This is just what I'm looking for. I hated the plastic 3G / 3GS. This will be a welcome follow-up to my little metal buddy.

I think I satisfy the upgrade time regardless. ;)

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2008
Got my 3GS on launch day last June. If it's 99$ plus the cost of the new phone, I am down with that.

MikeF1185

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2008
Grrr

I sent macrumors a screen grab of my upgrade eligibility page months ago, when all the hype was still around the ipad announcement... AT&T lists mine as being elibible 6/16/2010 for full upgrade - ordered iPhone 3GS for delivery on 1st day available. I would post screen grab but not sure how?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
My 24 months (3G) are up in August. I seldom pay over the minimum per month (occasionally I buy a txt or three) but I still hope to qualify a LITTLE early. Like... June? Let me dream :eek:

EDIT: Looks like I may qualify already:

As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade with a new 2-year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee.

How much of a discount? This I cannot say. And hopefully by waiting until August I could dodge the $18 fee. (Who am I kidding? I want it now.)

tac22

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Got my 3GS on launch day last June. If it's 99$ plus the cost of the new phone, I am down with that.

I believe if your only eligible for the early upgrade price it's actually 199$ plus the cost of the phone. Which still isn't bad if one is planning to sell their current iPhone.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Why don't they just allow you to pay the price difference between your old phone and the new one, all while keeping the same contract? You would still be required to pay the monthly phone bill, only you would pay a one-off "upgrade" fee that would cover the cost of the new subsidised iPhone, wouldn't that work?

Macjames

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Yorkshire, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Oh I had forgot all about this, cue the flood of forum posts when the time comes!

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
:D Nice catch.

I can't wait to upgrade from my 2g. This is just what I'm looking for. I hated the plastic 3G / 3GS. This will be a welcome follow-up to my little metal buddy.

I think I satisfy the upgrade time regardless. ;)

If you had a first gen iphone, you could have upgraded way back in July 2008 to the 3G (without incurring any wait at all) IE purchase subsidize ATT phone on April 2008 (say HTC Tilt), than purchased first gen iphone and activated it. You could have upgrade on July 2008 for the 199/299 price and still be fully eligible for another upgrade in 2009 if you spend more than $100 a month.

Hopefully you used your full upgrade on a subsidze phone in the meanwhile and resold it for profit. Those who don't upgrade and still with ATT are really losing out on money by not reselling subsidized phones they don't want or need.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Well, this makes no sense ... my eligibility for upgrade is in 2011 ... what the hell gives !? They better allow me to upgrade to the new one, like I did for the past 2 years.

mojoxp

macrumors member
May 18, 2006
Not getting too worried yet, but if it doesn't change, this is just stupid:
-Got the 2G on day of release, paid full price
-Got the 3G on day of release, paid discounted rate
-Got the 3GS day of release, paid full price

Now they want me to pay full price if I want a G4 day of release? Thats crap, the 3GS was unsubsidized. Come June it'll have been 2 years since my last subsidized device. (online says I'm not elligable for an upgrade until 11/20).

God help them if that date sticks and a Verizon iPhone comes out by 11/20

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.