Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wehokev

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
Last weekend I left my phone in a cab. I didn't realize it until the morning. By the time I tried to use location feature of MobileMe, someone already popped the sim card out and/or turned it off. *sigh*

I posted my woe is me tale on facebook and asked my friends if they have an old iPhone 3g that I could buy. One did. Hooray for social networking. And, he was such a good friend he didn't even charge me.

So if you find yourself in a similar situation (i.e., you phone is lost or stolen and a friend offer's you his old phone) here is what you can expect.

My friend's phone arrived with no sim card installed and completely restored to factory settings. The first thing that I did was plug it in to iTunes which prompted me, by default, to "restore" the last back up of my lost phone. Which I did. There is no need for a simcard to restore a backup to an iPhone.

I called AT&T and found the nearest corporate store -- avoid the authorized retailers. I went to the store and was lucky to have some of the best customer service I've ever had. The guy was very fast and didn't even charge me for the new sim.

Once the new sim was installed, I was back in business. The only thing that I had to do was input all my mail passwords again. But that was no biggie.

So if you've lost your phone ask around before you trudge off to the Apple store to buy a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.