Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

babka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
It looks so damn sharp. I wonder if the looks ( not internal components ) can even get any better! I mean 1 inch thick, futuristic-looking, sleek silver. Sony and other companies really have a long way too go to catch up.

But I wonder if the new powerbooks these days will still look modern and not outdated even in 5 years?

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
I think they will look pretty modern, even in a few years. It's simple, sleek, and clean.

I think the Powerbooks have the best look to date.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
edesignuk said:
I think the 12"+15" PBs look great, the 17" I just think is too big :eek:

I agree, the keyboard also looks too small..
The 12-incher could be a little thinner, so the 15-incher is the best looking...

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
I'm really curious about what they're going to do when they move to the G5. They'll probably keep the same Alu design, but make some minor changes, like what they did for the iBook G4. The current PBs look awesome.
–Chase

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
rendezvouscp said:
I'm really curious about what they're going to do when they move to the G5. They'll probably keep the same Alu design, but make some minor changes, like what they did for the iBook G4. The current PBs look awesome.
–Chase

Yeah, I think the Powerbooks look great as they are and it's hard to imagine how Apple can improve it, but I thought the same thing about the iMac G4!!

When the G5 Powerbook comes out, I'll prob be initially unimpressed, then it'll slowly grow on me and after a week I'll be gagging for one, esp after I see it in the flesh! :p

earthtoandy

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2003
i agree... i dont see how it can be improved upon. it is perfect. so minimalistic and sleek yet bold! and that little apple that lights up is the icing on the cake.

babka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
munkle said:
Yeah, I think the Powerbooks look great as they are and it's hard to imagine how Apple can improve it, but I thought the same thing about the iMac G4!!

:p

Yea but I cant imagine how much smaller or thinner the 1 inch 17" powerbook can get. Maybe lighter and faster, but smaller and/or better looking...I can't imagine. ;)

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
don't forget the Ti

Even the Titaniums are still better looking then most PC laptops. It was definitely the first that blew my mind in what the form factor of a laptop could be.

earthtoandy

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2003
hell the ibooks look better than pc laptops. powerbooks are lightyears ahead.

i LOVE the moving of all ports to the side and no damn flap!

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
edesignuk said:
I think the 12"+15" PBs look great, the 17" I just think is too big :eek:

Don't you know size matters? :D

Kiera's been lying to you... ;)

The 17" is a great machine if you've got the right bag and you're over about 5'9", otherwise it bounces off your hip-bone when its in the bag.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
i think it would be nice if they moved to a touch-sensitive (like the mac-in-touch) backlit kb for all models. they probably won't but still...and also it would look even better if there was a choice of colors for the apple logo on the back like pink, orange, white, blue, etc

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
babka said:
It looks so damn sharp. I wonder if the looks ( not internal components ) can even get any better! I mean 1 inch thick, futuristic-looking, sleek silver. Sony and other companies really have a long way too go to catch up.

But I wonder if the new powerbooks these days will still look modern and not outdated even in 5 years?

In 5 years? Yah. Never underestimate the ability of Apple's design team. If they can come out with products like this:

powerbookg5.jpg

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/89636/

Whatever Apple comes out with its going to make current PowerBooks look old and dilapidated. That and eventually :rolleyes: PC companies will catch on and copy the PowerMac shell. Once that happens the PowerBook is just going to be another pretty face in the crowd. I mean right now there are PC laptops that are UNDER 1” thick. Once they decide a metal shell is a good idea *shrugs*

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
I remember wondering how they were going to improve from the Pismo to the first G4 PowerBooks... and then how they were possiblly going to improve on the TiBooks... or from the G3 iMac to the G4... Come to think of it, I wonder about that every time a new design is about to come out. And the Apple design team manages to deliver every single time.

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
I honestly dont think the PC industry will copy the Powerbook's design for a good while. It is just to expensive for them to do so. if you see the same spec'd laptop (on the pc side) the "typical" user would shrug it off.

iceTrX

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
Outside of Detroit.
I don't see how the powerbooks could really be made to look better in their current form factor. Maybe we are in for a total redesign to the notebook. :D

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
I would like it if Apple was able to some how encorporate the Xbrite technology into the powerbook screens. Then they would look amazing!

bdomz

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2004
all of apples laptops look great. I think Dells Inspiron notebooks are just stupid looking and IBMs are so plain (although I kinda dig the simple black look of the thinkpads). It seems like every home decor magazine I look in always shows either a G4 imac or an Ibook on their computer desks or office equipment so macs must be the most stylish computers out there.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
I have always loved the TiBooks...but my 12" PowerBook is great too.

My aunt has a 17" PowerBook and that thing is just plain GREAT! It is smaller than you think...in actual use, I can hold it on my lap. It is the Rev. A BTW. It really is the best laptop I've seen in years.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
I guess at this point most of the improvements to any (future) PB's would be under-the-hood, so to speak and so I would assume that any cosmetic changes would be to deal with new technical issues.

I would like to see:

1. The return of black. I know there are many black laptops out there, but there are many silver ones too. I just like black. My pismo is black.

2. Screen technology improvement. Whether it be OLED or something else, I would like thinner, more flexible and improved viewing angle and contrast, not to mention resolution. Possibly detachable, although I have no idea how that would be feasible.

3. Super duper battery technology. Thin footprint, awe-inspiring battery life.

there is actually very little to improve upon aesthetically...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Something better will always come along. Maybe they'll use another material, or add a USB port on the right side of the 12" so that my USB mouse cable doesn't have to reach over to the left side to plug into it. Of course, this is only a problem for 1) Right-handed people 2) People with no Bluetooth mouse. :(

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
I have a friend (who's never had a Mac) that said when I told him I'd bought a 17" PowerBook, "why would you want something that huge?" He was shocked to find out once he saw it that it weighs less and is smaller proportionally in every way (except for the width) than the 15" PC notebook he carries around. :p I still laugh when I hear people say that the 17" is too big when it's only 1 pound heavier and 1.5 inch wider than the 15" PB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.