PDA

View Full Version : ps3 hard drive upgrade how hard is it..

gdeusthewhizkid
May 12, 2010, 10:11 AM
hey guys.

i have the slim ps3 with the 160 gig .. how hard is it to upgrade the hard drive.. im gonna buy a 650 gig hard drive for my macbook pro and swap the current 320 into the ps3..

do i have to format the new had drive first connected to the ps3. with the summer 2010 movies dropping. Im gonna need a bigger hard drive space asap. lol..

jraybo
May 12, 2010, 01:28 PM
Have not done it in a while but from what I can remember its real easy just take the old one out and swop over and put it in, when you next turn the PS3 on I think it asks to format the hard drive (to PS3 format)

The only problem your going to have is making a backup of your save games (I did this using a sd card), and anything else you might have on (movies etc) once you have sorted this out it should be easy.

Hellhammer
May 12, 2010, 01:30 PM
Even a monkey could do it. You just unscrew one screw and the HD is free, VERY easy.

rmb7984
May 12, 2010, 09:03 PM
Yep, I agree with all of this. I've done it a few times with my fat PS3. Make sure you use the backup utility to create a backup to a different disk. Swap out the drive, and start the system. It should format automatically. I think I remember having to update the firmware manually, but I may be wrong. After it's done doing it's thing, restore from your backup. It'll be just like it was before you started!