PDA

View Full Version : External drive and networking ?

Natalia81
Oct 3, 2004, 08:08 PM
Ok, I just got my PB Friday. My external Firewire drive was connected to my Vaio (XP Pro) and was formated in NTFS. Now when I hook the firewire drive to my PB, it only has READ access to the drive. Anyone know why I can't get read&write access to the firewire from my PB. I can connect to my desktop PC that is also formatted in NTFS and my PB has read & write access to the shared resources on that computer.

Another question concerning networking:

I enabled windows sharing on my PB so that my PC can access it. My PC has read and write access to the entire drive. Is that suppose to happen? I thought it would only give access to the Public folder. How do you just share that folder or one particular folder? And make that shared resource password protected? I would like to only allow certain users on the network I'm on to have access to my shared folder. I definitely don't want just anyone to have automatic access to my PB if I'm on a wireless network.

is it possible to change the PB's workgroup? It shows up on my PC as "workgroup".

Thanks

blodwyn
Oct 4, 2004, 11:12 AM
Ok, I just got my PB Friday. My external Firewire drive was connected to my Vaio (XP Pro) and was formated in NTFS. Now when I hook the firewire drive to my PB, it only has READ access to the drive. Anyone know why I can't get read&write access to the firewire from my PB. Thanks

NTFS file systems will only mount as read-only on Mac and Linux systems. I think there are some projects under way to introduce read/write to NTFS, but currently your best bet would be to reformat your external hard disk with a FAT32 file system. Then it will read/write with no problems on both Mac and PC systems.

yellow
Oct 4, 2004, 11:25 AM
What Blodwyn said..

Mac OS X:10.3.5 has "limited" write capability with NTFS, which translates to, "basically doesn't work". So, as Blodwyn said, it's FAT32, or it's HFS+ and MacDrive (a util to read HFS+ volumes) on your PC.

Natalia81
Oct 4, 2004, 07:28 PM
Yeah...I was hoping that wasn't going to be the answer to my question. :( But I knew it had something to do with it

Natalia81
Oct 10, 2004, 08:51 PM
Ok...can anyone tell me how I can get my Win2k machine to see my external hard drive that is attached to my powerbook? I have no problem accessing my Home folder and everything within it from my PC. I just can't seem to get access to anything outside my home folder.

noel4r
Oct 11, 2004, 10:58 PM
Can you format an external hard drive to FAT32 using OS X or do I need a Windows PC to do that?

yellow
Oct 12, 2004, 06:47 AM
Can you format an external hard drive to FAT32 using OS X or do I need a Windows PC to do that?

Disk Utility -> Select your external drive -> Erase tab -> Choose MS-DOS File system from the selelct bar.

That's a FAT file system , but I don't know if it's FAT16 or FAT32. I'm hoping that, since Panther came out just about a year ago, that it's FAT32.