PDA

View Full Version : iPod Freezes at end of song

12ibookg4
Oct 3, 2004, 08:27 PM
i have duplicated this problem many times with aac tracks encoded at 128 from a cd (no DRM) and tracks from itms (w/ DRM) but i couldn't get it to freeze with mp3. when i am playing a track and i press play/pause at the very end of the track to pause it, the ipod locks up. It clicks if you push the buttons but not if you spin the scroll wheel. I was able to get out of it by holding the menu and play buttons but i want to know if this is an error with the software on all ipods or if mine is broken and i should get a replacement. Is it covered by the one year warrenty and is this enough to get a replacement? The ipod is a 3G 10GB and the version of the software is 2.2.

12ibookg4
Oct 4, 2004, 03:41 PM
would one of you mind trying to pause it at the very end of the song and see if it freezes? I would appreciate it.

12ibookg4
Oct 23, 2004, 10:36 PM
anyone? could somone try it. it won't hurt yours

RBMaraman
Oct 23, 2004, 10:54 PM
I just tried it on my 2G 10gig iPod, and it did NOT freeze. Sounds like a problem with your iPod, not all iPods.

12ibookg4
Oct 23, 2004, 10:58 PM
do you think it's worth trying to get a replacement. it doesn't bother me that much anymore.

jared_kipe
Oct 23, 2004, 11:59 PM
Try reseting the ipod.

Inspector Lee
Oct 24, 2004, 12:47 AM
would one of you mind trying to pause it at the very end of the song and see if it freezes? I would appreciate it.

I've had this happen a few times with my mini only I wasn't hitting pause, I was trying to get to the next song. I ended up having to reset my iPod both times.

12ibookg4
Oct 24, 2004, 10:14 AM
Try reseting the ipod.
is reseting any different from holding down the menu and play buttons at the same time for a few seconds?
are you saying i have to plug it in and run the ipod updater but have it erase everything on it?

King Cobra
Oct 24, 2004, 10:24 AM
That also happens in iTunes, by the way.

Try it. Set a song to loop over and over again, and see if you can get the song to freeze in iTunes right at the end. The result will be the song getting stuck at the end, though iTunes will be fine. Double-click on a song, or wait 2 minutes, to get out. (Nice going, Apple.)

Same thing with the iPod...except your only harmless option is to wait about 2 minutes. The more buttons you press during the lock-up, the longer you'll be waiting for your iPod to respond.

12ibookg4
Oct 24, 2004, 10:28 AM
ok. reseting it (holding down play and menu) will get it to reboot and it will work except when you try to pause it at the end of a song. could this be becuase when i hit the pause button, the ipod is between the last song and the next song and gets confused becuase there is nothing to pause?

i don't think this is worth doing a restore on the ipod because i'm not even sure that it will fix it as it could be a problem with the iPod's OS

King Cobra
Oct 24, 2004, 10:35 AM
A restore will not fix the problem. Every iPod OS that I've tried - 1.1, 1.2, 1.31, 1.4 - (5GB model) has the problem.

12ibookg4
Oct 24, 2004, 10:40 AM
A restore will not fix the problem. Every iPod OS that I've tried - 1.1, 1.2, 1.31, 1.4 - (5GB model) has the problem.
thanks for the info. i'm glad it's not a problem with my ipod as someone (RBMaraman) suggested

jared_kipe
Oct 24, 2004, 11:42 AM
I did mean the hold down menu and play, but I didn't know it was systemic to all ipods.

RBMaraman
Oct 24, 2004, 11:59 AM
thanks for the info. i'm glad it's not a problem with my ipod as someone (RBMaraman) suggested

I had 2 friends try in on their 3G 15gig iPods, and they did not freeze. I had another friend try in on her pink iPod Mini and it also did not freeze. So, I once again say that not all iPods have this problem. I'd try formatting the iPod and re-installing the latest software.