Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new report (Taiwanese) seems to identify Pegatron as the manufacturer for a CDMA-compatible iPhone. Translation via Electronista:
Pegatron has been contracted to make a CDMA iPhone, insiders claimed today. The scoop is short but would have the ASUS manufacturing arm building phones that would likely go to Verizon and possibly other carriers as well. A deal would help Pegatron take off as a major supplier, DigiTimes said.
But this is not the first time Pegatron has been singled out as the manufacturer for a Verizon-compatible iPhone. The Wall Street Journal first revealed that possibility back in March.
The CDMA iPhone model is being made by Pegatron Technology Corp., the contract manufacturing subsidiary of Taiwan's ASUSTeK Computer Inc., said these people.
While there have been a lot of conflicting rumors over the past few months about the possibility of a Verizon iPhone, we consider The Wall Street Journal a reliable source for rumors, so place their predictions head of all the other conflicting reports. What's also telling of their accuracy is that the March 30th article also described the new iPhone as "thinner" with a faster processor. This report was well before the leaked images of the next generation iPhone which did reveal the thinner form factor.

The WSJ believes that the next iPhone will launch this summer, but the CDMA (Verizon) iPhone won't begin manufacturing until September.

Article Link: Confirmation of the Verizon (CDMA) iPhone Manufacturer?

MonkeyET

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2009
Indio, CA
I suppose the question now would be what is the quality of this supposed Verizon iPhone going to be in relation to the AT&T iPhone? Any thoughts?

louis Fashion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
Arizona, USA
I want the truth.

Come on. There is a thread below where 134 comments out of 268 claim that a Verizon CDMA iPhone is IMPOSSIBLE. WTF? What is the truth.

longball11

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2009
My statement is getting closer to being confirmed from the announcement of WWDC thread. iPhone to Verizon

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
There is absolutely no technical barrier. The question is if Apple has decided to move beyond the single carrier model here in the US. No one can answer that but Apple.

MarlboroLite

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
the 13 colonies
The only question I have now is on the timing of Apple's announcement of a VZ iPhone...I doubt they would announce it in June for Sept availability to not hurt sales with potential switchers to Verizon.

so if the phone isn't announced at WWDC...we'll keep hearing that a VZ phone isn't happening when in all likelihood they would announce it later.

JoeDRC

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I suppose the question now would be what is the quality of this supposed Verizon iPhone going to be in relation to the AT&T iPhone? Any thoughts?

If your refering to different features i.e. hardwear, I would imagine them both be identical, only difference would be that one has CDMA

I also think apple would have certain quality standards to be met in terms of different manufacturers.

Illusion986

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
One this that always is bugging me.....Is it possible to make a phone for verizon thats capable of Voice and Data at the same time...if not then im staying with AT&T as it will be a while before 4G coverage is as big as 3G

blackpond

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
The 2011 iPhone will be "thinner" with a faster processor. Am I a credible rumor source now? ;)

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Personally I hope every phone company gets an iPhone, I don't care about that nonsense....but how could one really enjoy the iPhone when they can't get voice and data at the same time, I mean, voice and data simultaneously is basically the biggest part of my phone. It so handy to use google maps while on the phone....i hope every company gets the phone, really I do, I just wish VZW for those potentital users could enjoy voice and data at the sametime, it really does come in handy

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
The 2011 iPhone will be "thinner" with a faster processor. Am I a credible rumor source now? ;)

LOL I thought that was funny too, I mean couldn't we all have guessed thinner and faster? Those would've been my first to assumptions of a new iPhone.....

TechWhore

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2006
One this that always is bugging me.....Is it possible to make a phone for verizon thats capable of Voice and Data at the same time...if not then im staying with AT&T as it will be a while before 4G coverage is as big as 3G

Doesn't matter you can't make voice calls with AT&T anyways.... zing!

skelaw

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2008

How often, when you are on a call, take the phone from your head, while the other person is on the line and go on the internet? I did it maybe twice, and that's because I wasn't interested in what the other persons were saying.

the truth of the matter is that, people lived without it on the iPhone 2G, and people will of course live without it on Verizon. I mean look; Verizon has more subscribers than ATT (give or take, I might be wrong). these people don't ever complain about their not having data and voice together.

Don't mock. This was credited by the Wall Street Journal, and they do not just randomly publish uncredible sources, otherwise they wouldn't have a name.

blackpond

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
LOL I thought that was funny too, I mean couldn't we all have guessed thinner and faster? Those would've been my first to assumptions of a new iPhone.....

I would like to make good on my newfound credibility...

The 2011 iPad will also have a faster processor. And a "pez dispenser."

(The quotes mean it could be similar to a pez dispenser but not necessarily a pez dispenser)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.