PDA

View Full Version : G3 Powerbook

Matt@GT
Oct 4, 2004, 04:15 AM
I have a old G3 powerbook with i am trying to keep running for my wife, who is really after a 12in ibook, the problem is the battery has given up completely, and every time you unplug it the clock needs resetting. Does this mean the internal battery has gone to?

I have looked online and replacement batterys seem to be around 120 and have been checking on ebay. Does anyone know of a better option?

Otherwise i have to let her share my 17in PB (no keen) or buy an ibook...

JOD8FY
Oct 4, 2004, 05:47 AM
Buy her the iBook. Why spend money on something that she doesn't want? Use that 120 to upgrade her RAM or something ;).

JOD8FY

cluthz
Oct 4, 2004, 06:13 AM
Not all powerbooks has internal batteries. The new powerbooks and all (?) iBooks hasn't internal batteries, only capacitor that will hold charge for about 30 seconds.

wPod
Oct 4, 2004, 08:39 AM
id go for a new iBook. they will last a lot longer than a fix on an old powerbook. im sure in a while there will be another problem and such. with a new iBook you can get applecare and be set!

rhpenguin
Oct 4, 2004, 12:52 PM
The iBook is a much nicer machine than an older powerbook anyday.

If there is one reason to upgrade its to get rid of the no doubt underpowerd GPU in there and get something that can display OS X well. Also a battery is a good thing to have and if its going to cost you a lot to replace that battery its not worth it.

Macmaniac
Oct 4, 2004, 01:35 PM
It sounds like both batteries have died. There is a second battery in the G3 PBs which keeps time, if you take out the KB and the stuff in the slots you will see on the bottom right a little circular battery. This keeps the time and the date. So you can replace this battery, as well as the main battery if its not holding a charge.
Its hard to say what you should do, if you have the money sell the PB and get a new iBook.