PDA

View Full Version : New MobileMe Mail Beta

Chris Grande
May 13, 2010, 02:00 AM
If you log in to MobileMe mail, it gives you the option to sign up for the beta.

What the beta features:
http://www.apple.com/mobileme/news/

fraggot
May 13, 2010, 02:38 AM
OH MY GOD

Finally, mail filtering or rules as they call it. I still believe that's been the biggest drawback to their mail.

I signed up for the Beta, I hope I get a chance to test drive it before it launches.

kultschar
May 13, 2010, 03:33 AM
Performance Increase is always welcome and the mail filter is something that should have always been in place.

Don't want to sound too ungrateful but for a minute there I was excited and thought we may have had new cool features and the ability to use our own email domain.

robbieduncan
May 13, 2010, 03:53 AM
OH MY GOD

Finally, mail filtering or rules as they call it. I still believe that's been the biggest drawback to their mail.

I signed up for the Beta, I hope I get a chance to test drive it before it launches.

Exactly. I've been asking for this for years. I'm fed up with having rules on my Mac which don't apply on my iPhone (as the Mac is asleep).

Morod
May 13, 2010, 03:56 AM
You guys beat me to it. I signed up as well just now.
How do you know what the new features are. I totally agree that filtering should have been there all along. I like Gmail for exactly that reason. Let's hope it works as well as Gmail.

robbieduncan
May 13, 2010, 03:58 AM
How do you know what the new features are.

Apple told us (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4035).

Morod
May 13, 2010, 04:04 AM
Apple told us (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4035).

Tanx!

alphaod
May 13, 2010, 04:12 AM
About time. I'm sick of all the junk mail I get.

idrewuk
May 13, 2010, 04:30 AM
Thank god for that! I've just signed up so hopefully will get my invitation soon. It couldn't have come soon enough...

PBF
May 13, 2010, 04:46 AM
Mail Rules!!! Hallelujah!! Hallelujah!!

Funkatronic
May 13, 2010, 12:11 PM
Great news, faster webmail is always a welcome sign. The new Interface looks pretty neat too, now I just hope i get accepted into the beta

fraggot
May 13, 2010, 01:46 PM
Has anyone actually gotten an invite yet?

Or has that not rolled out yet?

keithers24
May 13, 2010, 01:48 PM
I signed up early this am and still haven't received an invite, so it may take a few days??

Chris Grande
May 13, 2010, 01:59 PM
I received my invite at about 1:30 this afternoon. I signed up a few minutes before I started this thread.

kultschar
May 13, 2010, 02:03 PM
I received my invite at about 1:30 this afternoon. I signed up a few minutes before I started this thread.

Whats it like??

Scooterman1
May 13, 2010, 02:04 PM
DUPLICATE POST

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=9894921#post9894921

Chris Grande
May 13, 2010, 02:07 PM
DUPLICATE POST

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=9894921#post9894921

Well I started this thread at 3:00am, that thread started at 5:00am.

Scooterman1
May 13, 2010, 02:10 PM
Well I started this thread at 3:00am, that thread started at 5:00am.

You're right. I apologize. I guess MacRumors should have read your post before Posting. Along with me reading the times first instead of the number of Replies. Again, I do apologize.

Chris Grande
May 13, 2010, 02:12 PM
You're right. I apologize. I guess MacRumors should have read your post before Posting. Along with me reading the times first instead of the number of Replies. Again, I do apologize.

Oh no problem, they usually find the starting thread (if there is one) then create the news thread from that. But sometimes, they miss them...

Chris Grande
May 13, 2010, 02:19 PM
Whats it like??

I'm going to have to poke around a bit. The visual design of it is, interesting. Kind of an iPad/Aqua mashup.

First thing I did notice is the search is still folder based and only searches To/From/Subject.

The "Archive" feature just moves the message to a folder called archive, if you already have a folder called archive it just uses that. The archive isn't visually different from any other folder.

It is faster, moving between folders, deleting messages all happen in 1-2 seconds.

Anything you want to know specifically?

fraggot
May 13, 2010, 03:33 PM
I got my invite just now, so far it's nice.

Morod
May 13, 2010, 05:52 PM
No invite here yet....
ON EDIT:
But MM seems a bit faster switching between folders and replying to emails. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come, that MM is is getting the attention it deserves.

michael gavriel
May 13, 2010, 08:35 PM
Not to change the subject, but as an aside,

When using me.com on a PC, what browser do you guys prefer?

I found Chrome a bit buggy (sorry can't remember specifics) so switched to Firefox...

Even in firefox the mail is buggy. there's the "you're not authorized" to open an email or forward it type error, the weird flashing on and off of the text from an email youre replying to as it sits copied while you type youre reply, the slow/buggy "add to contact" thing (after adding a contact from the mail page, he/she often doesn't pop up as you start typing their name in a to: field), and probably more...

fraggot
May 13, 2010, 10:05 PM
I use Firefox but I do know for a fact that it runs much smoother in Safari(duh).

NewtypeCJ
May 13, 2010, 10:27 PM
Signed up this morning but haven't received an invite yet. :confused: Hopefully soon, I really hate the current webmail interface.

PBF
May 13, 2010, 11:21 PM
Question for those that have received their invites already: which email was it sent to, me.com or mac.com? Also, what email address was it sent from? Ta in advance.

Chris Grande
May 13, 2010, 11:37 PM
Question for those that have received their invites already: which email was it sent to, me.com or mac.com? Also, what email address was it sent from? Ta in advance.

It was sent to the me.com address and came from noreply@me.com.

PBF
May 13, 2010, 11:51 PM
Cheers.

I just wanna make sure not to delete it accidentally, in case it gets filtered out by my superstrict rules.

Morod
May 14, 2010, 12:23 AM
Got my invite about 5 hours ago. Just got home to check it out.
It's gonna take a bit of time to set it how I want it, but at least Apple is expending some effort in trying to make it work better.
SSL is great, but it never should have taken this long to implement.

Morod
May 14, 2010, 07:05 AM
It was sent to the me.com address and came from noreply@me.com.

I'm wondering if Apple is planning (at some future date) to get rid of the mac.com addresses.
I went to the Account section of my MM and clicked on the Summary page. At the top, instead of my usual "...@mac.com" address it's now "...@me.com". My mac.com email is still getting delivered, but is mac.com now being translated to me.com across the board?

Piarco
May 14, 2010, 08:21 AM
I haven't received an invite, but just logged into my account at work and it's the Beta version! It's going to take some getting used to as it feels entirely different to me. One thing I instantly like is that I can see which of my email addresses the incoming emails are directed to...

:EDIT: Invite received!

tigres
May 14, 2010, 08:23 AM
I'm wondering if Apple is planning (at some future date) to get rid of the mac.com addresses.
I went to the Account section of my MM and clicked on the Summary page. At the top, instead of my usual "...@mac.com" address it's now "...@me.com". My mac.com email is still getting delivered, but is mac.com now being translated to me.com across the board?

I hope not.

PBF
May 14, 2010, 11:25 AM
Finally got it!! Hallelujah!!

PBF
May 14, 2010, 11:55 AM
Rules are super limited!! Boo!!

http://i44.tinypic.com/ifpd80.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/14jraqt.jpg

Feature request sent.

tigres
May 14, 2010, 12:04 PM
PBF,

When did you request?

PBF
May 14, 2010, 12:15 PM
As soon as I saw the news on the front page of MR.

PaperMacWriter
May 16, 2010, 08:50 PM
Are people not getting any invites? I requested the second I heard, and I've got nothing. :( Any idea why I haven't? Did they stop letting people into the beta?

Stan

Weaselboy
May 17, 2010, 10:20 AM
I made the beta request as soon as I saw the original article, and still nothing.

tigres
May 17, 2010, 10:21 AM
I made the beta request as soon as I saw the original article, and still nothing.

You are not alone.

I wonder if it has anything to do with Family accounts. I have a family account, signed up when right away... nada.

UngratefulNinja
May 17, 2010, 10:23 AM

Same here

d21mike
May 17, 2010, 10:31 AM
Feature request sent.
I agree. You would think that they could review what other people are doing and make their's "better". It is not like they are the first to come up with email rules.

d21mike
May 17, 2010, 10:36 AM
I have been waiting to be able to use Mail Rules for organizing my mail ever since MM was released. I was really hoping that when they did release it they would make them usefull. At this point they don't indicate you have mail in those folders on the Web Interface (this I was not expecting) and they don't show it in the iPhone (this I was expecting). Having to go into each sub-folder to see if you have mail in that folder makes this useless. Maybe the final release and a new iPhone release will be better. Hope so. With Google Sync on the iPhone you can say which folders other then the Inbox to check for new mail.

d21mike
May 17, 2010, 10:47 AM
I have been waiting to be able to use Mail Rules for organizing my mail ever since MM was released. I was really hoping that when they did release it they would make them usefull. At this point they don't indicate you have mail in those folders on the Web Interface (this I was not expecting) and they don't show it in the iPhone (this I was expecting). Having to go into each sub-folder to see if you have mail in that folder makes this useless. Maybe the final release and a new iPhone release will be better. Hope so. With Google Sync on the iPhone you can say which folders other then the Inbox to check for new mail.
Correction. While in MM Web Interface and a new message came in I did notice the badge on the sub-folder change. So maybe I jumped the gun on that one. However, still need that to happen on the iPhone and iPad.

NewtypeCJ
May 17, 2010, 12:28 PM

Yep, same. Really frustrating since I use the webmail interface a lot during the week (from work). :(

d21mike
May 17, 2010, 12:43 PM
My email notice came yesterday to my me.com email address. The next time I logged in I was on the new beta version. My primary email address is not the me.com address. Anyway, there was nothing for me to do once I was switched over.

Dwanep
May 17, 2010, 02:47 PM
I signed up as soon as it was available but still have not been invited in. I wonder if it is because I did not use the email that much. I did not like the program and consequently did not use it.

JLB-UK
May 17, 2010, 06:39 PM
Just received my beta invite! on first look, it looks much improved. speed is a lot better :)

Feature request sent.

Can you expand on the rules being limited? I cannot personally think of when I need to do more that the three options available but would like to know what else you need :) what feature request you sent in?

djdavidgallant
May 17, 2010, 06:55 PM
I have had alot of UI bugs, but this web app is super fast.
I submitted comments about the lack of filtering and labels.
This is a big jump compared to the old web app, which finally makes this useful.
When logging in again, it will pick up from the folder you were last viewing which makes this much more usable.

I expect a launch with the 4.0 iPhone OS mail upgrade, and a big push for MobileMe on the iphone.

brenden
May 17, 2010, 08:52 PM
Just got my invite and its very nice. I do however wish i could make the reading pane on the bottom ;(

PBF
May 17, 2010, 09:18 PM
Just received my beta invite! on first look, it looks much improved. speed is a lot better :)

Can you expand on the rules being limited? I cannot personally think of when I need to do more that the three options available but would like to know what else you need :) what feature request you sent in?
Well, the thing is that I receive about 500-600 junk messages daily. The majority is sent to my mac.com address. So the only rule to help me sort out my mail is as follows:

If ALL of the following conditions are met:
1. Sender is NOT in my Address Book
2. Sender is NOT in my Previous Recipients
Perform the following actions:
Move message to Junk mailbox.

It's a pretty basic rule, innit? The problem with MobileMe Mail is that one can't even move unwanted mail to Junk mailbox, let alone filtering out one's address book contacts and previous recipients. So that's why for me, Rules are very very limited, pretty much useless.

P.S. My feature request was pretty simple: implement ALL of the desktop Mail's Rules.

:)

JLB-UK
May 18, 2010, 02:41 AM
Well, the thing is that I receive about 500-600 junk messages daily. The majority is sent to my mac.com address. So the only rule to help me sort out my mail is as follows:

If ALL of the following conditions are met:
1. Sender is NOT in my Address Book
2. Sender is NOT in my Previous Recipients
Perform the following actions:
Move message to Junk mailbox.

It's a pretty basic rule, innit? The problem with MobileMe Mail is that one can't even move unwanted mail to Junk mailbox, let alone filtering out one's address book contacts and previous recipients. So that's why for me, Rules are very very limited, pretty much useless.

P.S. My feature request was pretty simple: implement ALL of the desktop Mail's Rules.

:)

O yes, that is a basic rule one which I don't personally use at the moment, but I could find that very useful :) Like you said, it would seriously help with filtering mail out to the trash!

Good feature request! I don't understand why they didn't implement the same list. Anyway, Im off to add my rules and remove them from my mail app

jMc
May 18, 2010, 03:11 AM
My feature request was pretty simple: implement ALL of the desktop Mail's Rules.

To this i would add: ... and sync them with the rules that I'm already syncing between two desktop machines using Mobileme. I have a lot of rules and I don't intend on setting these all up again on the web client when this should just sync already (in fact, that's how I imagined this would work and why I signed up for the beta).

Also, can anyone confirm if the web client rules work server side even when not logged in to the web client? Or are the rules just applied at log in? A major problem for me is not having rules on my iPhone, so my inbox gets full of emails that I'd rather filter off to separate folders - I was hoping this would help in this regard.

jx

yayitsezekiel
May 18, 2010, 03:32 AM
quick question: how does mobileme mail compare to gmail?

JLB-UK
May 18, 2010, 03:49 AM
To this i would add: ... and sync them with the rules that I'm already syncing between two desktop machines using Mobileme. I have a lot of rules and I don't intend on setting these all up again on the web client when this should just sync already (in fact, that's how I imagined this would work and why I signed up for the beta).

Also, can anyone confirm if the web client rules work server side even when not logged in to the web client? Or are the rules just applied at log in? A major problem for me is not having rules on my iPhone, so my inbox gets full of emails that I'd rather filter off to separate folders - I was hoping this would help in this regard.

jx

Yes, server die rules do work even when not logged into the client. When I woke up this morning, the emails I had received over the night had gone into the folders as the rules I had set up. The only issue I have at the moment is that my iPhone does not check all the folders so you have to browse to each one to see if it has new email :confused:

Morod
May 18, 2010, 07:56 AM
Bring back iCards! :)

Weaselboy
May 18, 2010, 06:27 PM
Bring back iCards! :)

Mom? :D

Marquito
May 19, 2010, 03:35 AM
Not impressed with the Beta.

There's no direct access to the Calendar - you have to go through the Contacts link and then it just brings up the old interface.

Also, there's no direct way to sign out - again you have to go to a drop down menu.

I wish Mail,Contacts and Calendar could all be displayed in one consolidated window - or at least give us the option to configure the layout.

And...let us choose the display font size - it defaults too large for my taste.

Hmmmm...and it doesn't seem any faster - and....I wish it would display a confirmation message when an email is sent. and....yes -I've left feedback through the link on the bottom left.

Marquito

northernbaldy
May 19, 2010, 04:01 AM
mine changed over this morning, I requested the beta when this thread was created

JLB-UK
May 19, 2010, 07:03 AM
Not impressed with the Beta.

There's no direct access to the Calendar - you have to go through the Contacts link and then it just brings up the old interface.

Also, there's no direct way to sign out - again you have to go to a drop down menu.

I wish Mail,Contacts and Calendar could all be displayed in one consolidated window - or at least give us the option to configure the layout.

And...let us choose the display font size - it defaults too large for my taste.

Hmmmm...and it doesn't seem any faster - and....I wish it would display a confirmation message when an email is sent. and....yes -I've left feedback through the link on the bottom left.

Marquito

I have sent in feature requests for size of font and mail sent notification.
For the mail sent notification I even said like a sending bar like in the OS Mail app so we can see the progress :)

I think not being able to access the other apps is just a con of using the beta at the moment. I think they will have the icons back or something similar before going completely live, if not I think it will draw a lot of negative feedback.

Dorkington
May 19, 2010, 07:28 AM
Got my beta invite finally...

Set up some rules...

The rules are not applying.

But... regardless, this is useless since the iPhone/iPad don't check folders.

Big fail by Apple. Every day I'm more tempted to cancel MobileMe, to be honest. :|

lascott
May 19, 2010, 07:36 AM
Got my beta invite finally...

Set up some rules...

The rules are not applying.

But... regardless, this is useless since the iPhone/iPad don't check folders.

Big fail by Apple. Every day I'm more tempted to cancel MobileMe, to be honest. :|

the rules worked for me, however it does state it could take 15 minutes before they work.

northernbaldy
May 19, 2010, 07:44 AM
and its a beta FFS! beta testing! there will be problems, that the whole point of beta testing

Dorkington
May 19, 2010, 02:10 PM
Finally worked for one email.

It sent it to the folder.

No notification on iPhone or iPad. And it didn't show a number next to the folder in the MobileMe interface.

What's the point?

tigres
May 19, 2010, 02:11 PM
Got it this AM.

haven't had time to play yet.

everlast77
May 20, 2010, 02:16 AM
I can't send or recive pictures with the new mobileme mail

Anyone else have this problem??

//E

Morod
May 20, 2010, 09:45 AM
I have sent in feature requests for size of font and mail sent notification.
For the mail sent notification I even said like a sending bar like in the OS Mail app so we can see the progress :)

I think not being able to access the other apps is just a con of using the beta at the moment. I think they will have the icons back or something similar before going completely live, if not I think it will draw a lot of negative feedback.

When sending mail, you do get the "rotating thingy" showing that something is happening, so at least that's something. Confirmation of sent emails would be better, though.

northernbaldy
May 20, 2010, 09:51 AM
Finally worked for one email.

It sent it to the folder.

No notification on iPhone or iPad. And it didn't show a number next to the folder in the MobileMe interface.

What's the point?

the point is, you give feedback to apple during this BETA testing stage

JLB-UK
May 20, 2010, 10:13 AM
When sending mail, you do get the "rotating thingy" showing that something is happening, so at least that's something. Confirmation of sent emails would be better, though.

The first time I sent a mail, there was nothing and the box just closed, email still sent. However, just sent a test email to myself and a rotating circle and the word sending appeared! :) So that is loads better.

Probably just a bug so it didn't show up the first time! So least we know something is happening now

Morod
May 20, 2010, 10:24 AM
The first time I sent a mail, there was nothing and the box just closed, email still sent. However, just sent a test email to myself and a rotating circle and the word sending appeared! :) So that is loads better.

Probably just a bug so it didn't show up the first time! So least we know something is happening now

The squeaky wheel, my friend, the squeaky wheel....:)
Thanks, :apple:

Morod
May 20, 2010, 08:37 PM

//E

I sent an email with 3MB of pictures to 3 relatives about 9 hours ago, requesting them to email me back if they received the pictures okay.
As of now I haven't heard a thing from any of them.

benh911f
May 20, 2010, 09:40 PM
I sent out the request the morning this was announced and have still not received the invite.:mad:
Am I the only one STILL waiting who sent out the morning of the announcement?

GoCubsGo
May 20, 2010, 09:43 PM
Me and considering I've had MM since 2004, it kinda sucks. Would be nice to see a beta invite. I'm sure others have been members longer than me but at least I'm not a fly-by-night subscriber.

joed
May 21, 2010, 01:27 AM
I like the new beta. I hope Mail.app gets the same look with 10.7 - am sure it will.

Feedback I sent are:
- Attachments aren't very clearly located, I'd love to see PDF's auto load in the window and not have to download them, and a button like on the iPhone at the bottom of the message to download.
- Also, deleting individual emails from an X on the message would be nice, but I do love I can drag emails to the trash folder :)

Regarding the comments on not finding the other services, I guess this is a short term problem and will be addressed with an overhaul of the look of the other services to match Mail. BTW, wonder what they're doing with iWork Beta, doing a google perhaps with something forever in beta? Hope this isn't the same....

hexonxonx
May 21, 2010, 11:11 AM
I'm not sure I like the beta so far. I have to be honest, all I see is just a redesign. Nothing new other than that.

tigres
May 21, 2010, 11:12 AM
I sent out the request the morning this was announced and have still not received the invite.:mad:

I did same and just got my invite on Weds. FYI

bigjnyc
May 21, 2010, 11:24 AM

Me and considering I've had MM since 2004, it kinda sucks. Would be nice to see a beta invite. I'm sure others have been members longer than me but at least I'm not a fly-by-night subscriber.

Me either and I requested it the first morning. I've been a member since 2008 but don't use my mobile me account much, don't know if this has anything to do with it.

hexonxonx
May 21, 2010, 11:25 AM
I requested an invite on day one when the beta was announced and got my invite this morning. You really aren't missing anything.

Weaselboy
May 21, 2010, 11:43 AM

I made the request the morning of the news release and just got my invite a few minutes ago. So far, I like the look of the beta and the server side rules are nice.

applefan89
May 21, 2010, 12:50 PM
Requested mine wensday morning, still havn't gotten my invite :(

Macsterguy
May 21, 2010, 03:39 PM
Just got mine this afternoon after requesting it from the start... I really like it so far! Much improved!

Morod
May 21, 2010, 04:37 PM

//E

Confirming that emails I sent with pictures never arrived at their destination. Left feedback on this problem for Apple.

Thunder82
May 21, 2010, 07:53 PM
You really aren't missing anything.

Agreed entirely, almost wish I could go back to the old version. The only benefit the beta provides is the ability to select multiple emails and drag, thats IT. Otherwise, the interface is annoying in my opinion.

Morod
May 21, 2010, 08:01 PM
Agreed entirely, almost wish I could go back to the old version.

Easy enough to do:

"You may stop using the MobileMe Mail beta at any time during the beta. To leave, select "Leave the Mail Beta" from the action (gear) menu while logged in to MobileMe Mail. If you are unable to log in to the MobileMe beta, but would like to leave the beta, visit https://beta.me.com/leave/mail."

QCassidy352
May 24, 2010, 04:00 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Having a lot of trouble with the speed today. Not so much of an improvement. And sometimes it just hangs (when deleting a message, moving a folder, etc).

applefan89
May 25, 2010, 04:35 PM
Been a really long time and Apple hasn't sent me my beta. I wonder whatsup?

iammike1
May 26, 2010, 03:05 AM
Been a really long time and Apple hasn't sent me my beta. I wonder whatsup?

Steve doesn't like you. :eek:

GoCubsGo
May 27, 2010, 12:37 PM
I got mine remarkably the day after the MM renewed (I've had stacked codes since 2008 and they just auto-renew). Took about 10 days.