Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

094622-adobe_choice.jpg

Adobe today went on the offensive regarding the controversy over its Flash platform, pressing its support for openness on the Internet and responding to some of the comments made by others about the platform in recent weeks that it believes are incorrect.
We believe open markets that allow developers, publishers, and consumers to make their own choices about how they create, distribute, and access content are essential to progress. That's why we actively support technologies like HTML4, HTML5, CSS, and H.264, in addition to our own technologies.
Adobe has also published an open letter from founders Chuck Geschke and John Warnock noting the company's history of publishing open specifications for its standards and arguing that it has attained its dominant market position by out-innovating competitors.
We believe that Apple, by taking the opposite approach, has taken a step that could undermine this next chapter of the web -- the chapter in which mobile devices outnumber computers, any individual can be a publisher, and content is accessed anywhere and at any time.

In the end, we believe the question is really this: Who controls the World Wide Web? And we believe the answer is: nobody -- and everybody, but certainly not a single company.
As noted by Engadget, Adobe has also rolled out an advertising campaign in online and print media taking the angle that Adobe loves Apple, but doesn't love its choice to restrict how users can develop and experience Internet content on its devices.

Article Link: Adobe Responds to Apple's Anti-Flash Stance With Comments on Openness, Ad Campaign

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
Apple says they support open standards and all of that when it comes to HTML5, but they fail to mention that they mainly support HTML5 as a video layer, and that the encoding platform BEHIND that video layer that they are supporting is typically H.264, which is a proprietary codec set that may or may not suddenly have a licensing restriction placed upon it in the next 2 years, or any time in the future, without warning or legal recourse.

It's a bit ham-fisted of Apple to claim they oppose Flash because it isn't open, and at the same time every single video system they DO support has either the same sorts of restrictions (Quicktime) or ticking-time-bomb-types of licensing restrictions (h.264).

If flash sucks so much, vote with your browser and don't install it.

Just don't come crying to me when you can't play farmville or whatever.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
This is really getting ridiculous. It's like a frickin' political campaign at this point. It is mildly entertaining though. I wonder what Apple's response will be...

We H8 Flash

Don

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
the web needs to be open and flash isn't. enough said!

h.264 isn't, either.

Adobe made the PDF spec open after a few years. I wouldn't be surprised if they open up ActionScript licensing restrictions soon, too.

What will the argument be, then?

RT2020

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2010
This is getting silly.

I don't. We benefit while the two companies try to ultimately win us over.

Have you tried the Flash Player "Gala" Preview Release for OSX? It actually uses so much less system resources, that my fans don't come on anymore. I'm happy with Flash now.

NaMo4184

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2005
Has Adobe gone insane? What the hell are they going on about?

Do they realize that they themselves, Adobe, are the harbingers of a closed, proprietary webstandard. If adobe decised it is not in their interest to support a platform, that platform is **** Out of Luck. That is my reason for wanting open.

To me, open means that anyone can get platform support. Right now, you need adobe to develop for your platform to have flash work on it. e.g. If Adobe thinks WebOS is going nowhere and doesn't want to support it, tough titty Rubinstein.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
Who controls the World Wide Web? And we believe the answer is: nobody -- and everybody, but certainly not a single company.

So why the big pouty face over many companies dropping Flash?

fervor

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2006
Someone sounds more than a little defensive, eh?

So, as a developer, I'm now forced to develop content to work on the iPad with basically every open standard except for Flash - er, wait, since when has Flash been an open standard? How is it included in the same group as HTML, et al?

Also, how does this translate into Apple trying to 'own' the web? That's giving Apple a little too much credit I think. Even with all of their devices out there, they are far from the majority of traffic methinks.

Adobe needs to get over it. Maybe they should concentrate on engineering a decent MacOS implementation of Flash - that might go farther in trying to fight the bad PR than a defensive ad campaign.

lewchenko

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
As a Mac and PC user I support Adobe's view.

I just want my iPhone and iPad to play Flash material IF I CHOOSE to look at it. Not exactly too much to ask is it.

And having seen flash running on Android devices (quite easily too), I cant help but think Apple is simply being this way because they want to control everything.... and that is insane.

Really leaves a sour taste in the mouth to be honest.

I personally think Steve's recent rant about Flash was nothing but a crock of PR horse sh**. Maybe Im immune to the infamous 'reality distortion' field that seems to infect most users on this website judging by the replies to this story so far.

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
Why doesn't Adobe just do a 'true shock and awe' strategy - keep their mouth shut until they have Flash running on Android with no crashing and awesome battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.