Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Specify platform (Mac, Windows, Linux) with the software.

10.5:
X-Plane (want!): I have been looking it, looks really great (comments wanted).
Battleground Europe.com/ I play to get my flight sim fix for some "don't give a damm" fun.

Windows (on occasion when I start my PC. Recently in box after move):
IL-2
Wings of Prey

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I fly FSX 60% of the time in Windows 7 and X-plane 40% of the time mostly in OS X but sometimes in windows. X-plane seems to run a little better in Windows.

wolfgame

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2010
Kerrville, Tx
Some help for mini displayport to 47" LG

Had my macbook pro for 2 weeks and want to fly X Plane on my HDTV. Have been a little confused on the hook up. Apple wants you to attach TWO adapters in order to connect with HDMI. Have found others that are "direct" (straight from mini display port to female HDMI plug). Will this work? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, need to get joystick or yoke. Can someone recommend some models that work well with
x plane and Macbook Pro? Thanks, wolfgame

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Apple wants you to attach TWO adapters in order to connect with HDMI. Have found others that are "direct" (straight from mini display port to female HDMI plug). Will this work? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Either should work fine. For my wife's Macbook, I have a mini display port to HDMI adapter, and then a standard HDMI cable between that and my TV. I like this setup because I can leave one end of the HDMI cable connected behind the TV, and the other end is free to be connected to the Macbook, or any other HDMI device. It works great, and if you go through Amazon, it's cheap too.

wolfgame

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2010
Kerrville, Tx
Thanks for the info. I will try it and see what happens. I buy everything I can through Amazon. Love it! It seems that, although I received my MBP the last week of April, it is not the latest model:mad: It had been backordered for a while. Since I started looking into flying x-plane I have become aware of a problem passing the audio through the HDMI cable. May I ask which model MBP have you had success with? Mine is:

MacBookPro5,3
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2

Also, do you have any suggestions for a joy stick or yoke?

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
For those that like combat flight sims, Leadpursuit is looking at porting over Falcon4 AF to the Mac platform. It's still a good ways off, but it's coming.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
For those that like combat flight sims, Leadpursuit is looking at porting over Falcon4 AF to the Mac platform. It's still a good ways off, but it's coming.

Falcon4 was the most indepth modern military flt sim I've ever flown. It was impressive. As far as the OP, when I fly now which is infrequent, it is usually X-Plane.

ThomasLund

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2009
Are you primarily looking for hardcore flight sims - or would arcadish flight sims also be something you are interested in?

Reason I ask is, that I'm a indie game dev - and working on a arcade flight sim prototype similar to "Heroes over Europe" set in WW2.

And I'm very interested in hearing what the Mac crowd has to say in that regards. From what I can see, there is really no offering in this space for Mac'ers.

/Thomas

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Are you primarily looking for hardcore flight sims - or would arcadish flight sims also be something you are interested in?

Reason I ask is, that I'm a indie game dev - and working on a arcade flight sim prototype similar to "Heroes over Europe" set in WW2.

And I'm very interested in hearing what the Mac crowd has to say in that regards. From what I can see, there is really no offering in this space for Mac'ers.

/Thomas

The Mac has been bypassed by most flight sims, because even on the PC it was a small market. The Mac market traditionally has been to small to bother with. If you were to ask those Mac users who want to fly a flight sim, I really can't guess the breakdown of who wants arcade vs realism.

However, there is a substantial group who want to believe they could really be flying that fighter in a dogfight and realism is important. I am a pilot for a living, and I wanted a realistic flight model in the flight sims I flew. This becomes much more evident in WWII/I era fighters. My favorite sim was Warbirds. My son and I used to launch on the same server and fly on each other's wing. Much fun and an outstanding flight model. You just can't point the nose up and go up for very long. In modern aircraft flight sims due to higher thrust, an arcade flight model can be masked slightly, but not really. :)

ThomasLund

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2009
Yeah - (and sorry for stealing the thread a little) - I realize that asking hardcore flight sim'ers about their preferences is a tough uphill battle for me. Was just triggered by the topic.

The market is very very small - and growing smaller all the time - for real flight sims. I myself loved Falcon 4, but trying to do something similar now would be suicide.

Next best is the arcade shooter genre, where flying is the theme more than the content so to speak. Heroes of the Pacific / over Europe, as well as Red Baron and Blazing Angles have shown that on the consoles at least there is a market for these games still.

Anyways - will stay put for now and then make my own thread once there is more to show.

/Thomas

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You weren't stealing the thread as you can tell by the huge response to the topic. ;) I'm sure the flyers here would love discussing a new flying game. Even in an arcade game some basic flight characteristics could be added to give the illusion. Airspeed bleed off as a result of attitude and applied Gs. :)

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Yeah - (and sorry for stealing the thread a little) - I realize that asking hardcore flight sim'ers about their preferences is a tough uphill battle for me. Was just triggered by the topic.
/Thomas

I think any kind of flying game would be well received on the Mac. Like Huntn said, an arcade like game can do very well with even minimal flight characteristics. I used to really like Hellcats back in the old days of the Mac - the controls were simple, so it was more arcade like than full-on simulation, but it was still very immersive. A-10 was my all time favorite, even to this day.

bladerunner88

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2009
Off World
Mac Combat Flight Sims

/Thomas

Thomas - perhaps you could get some ideas by going back and looking at what was perhaps the "Golden Age" of Mac Flight Sims. Games like Parsoft's A-10 Attack, Graphic Sims F/A-18 Hornet Series and Spectrum Holobytes F-16 Falcon. Also Hellcats Over the Pacific! I think just like in Field of Dreams "If you build it they will come!" Seems as previous posters have noted us on the Mac side have been all but abandoned when it comes to modern Mac combat flight Sims,

Hopefully all that could change....?

I mean even Bungies "Marathon" epic has been ported to run on OSX!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.