PDA

View Full Version : ipod touch 3rd gen

dino26
May 13, 2010, 05:08 PM
Was thinking of getting my lil bro a 8gb then realised it was a 2nd gen . Got a few ?s though

*Will the 3rd gen have the latest update on it or will you have to pay money for the 3.0 update.

*If you buy from the apple store and get free engraving how long does it take for delivery.

*If my lil bro makes a itunes account for himself can i use my debit card to make payments for any apps he wishes to buy . (Or can he use my itunes account , how do i view how many devices i have on my itunes account i think 5 is the max)

JediMeister
May 13, 2010, 05:37 PM
I'll take a stab at answering your questions:

First, I think if you get a 3rd gen iPod touch, it will have the 3.0 software, probably not 3.1.3 though.

If you purchase from the Apple Online Store, engraving is free and does not add to the shipping/delivery time. Shipping is within 24hrs, and delivery of course is dependent on if you are paying for expedited delivery and the international carrier. If you purchase from an Apple Store or a reseller, you get no engraving, but obviously you'll get the iPod immediately.

You can create an iTunes account for your sibling using your debit card so you can keep track of how much money he's spending but it'll only show APL*ITUNES on the debit statement. You'd have to go into the iTunes purchase history of his account to see what he's actually using your money on. He can use your account, but it will be better in the long run to create a new account for his sole use. Another option is getting him an iTunes gift card, or having your parents set up an iTunes allowance; that way your brother doesn't go nuts and buy hundreds of or Euros of content and then you have to contact iTunes Store support to dispute the charges.

Apple doesn't keep track of what iTunes account is used with what device, the only restriction is that you can play back your iTunes content on 5 computers, no restriction on the number of iPods that content is on.

khunsanook
May 14, 2010, 12:20 AM
First, I think if you get a 3rd gen iPod touch, it will have the 3.0 software, probably not 3.1.3 though.

I recently bought a 3rd gen iPod Touch in Tokyo and it came loaded with 3.1.3 (7E18).

Moocher
May 14, 2010, 01:38 PM
Was thinking of getting my lil bro a 8gb then realised it was a 2nd gen . Got a few ?s though*If my lil bro makes a itunes account for himself can i use my debit card to make payments for any apps he wishes to buy . (Or can he use my itunes account , how do i view how many devices i have on my itunes account i think 5 is the max)

I ALWAYS recommend against using any credit card with iTunes except when absolutely necessary. My main friend and I have both (years apart) had our accounts hacked with charges going through iTunes onto our cards. See this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=407990

Instead, I recommend that you purchase, for both yourself and your brother, iTunes gift cards which you can get anywhere (at least in the States), and use them. Keep a spare on hand to redeem if your balance gets low. This also will serve to keep your brother on a budget.

Mooch