Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alte22a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2003
back in London
I think its about time that I upgrade my Canon Xl-1 to the Xl-2. I am curious of one thing. Since Xl-2 uses a wider chip for wide screen, was wondering is it compatitible with FCP?

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Alte22a said:
I think its about time that I upgrade my Canon Xl-1 to the Xl-2. I am curious of one thing. Since Xl-2 uses a wider chip for wide screen, was wondering is it compatitible with FCP?

Yes, the XL-2 is on the list of compatible devices for FCP. You can download the PDF HERE.

But I have no idea why you would use a $4,000 camera as a VTR, you should probably look into getting one.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Laslo Panaflex said:
Yes, the XL-2 is on the list of compatible devices for FCP. You can download the PDF HERE.

But I have no idea why you would use a $4,000 camera as a VTR, you should probably look into getting one.
The Canon XL-1 and Canon XL-2 produce professional-quality video at consumer prices. It is not a difficult concept.

Alte22a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2003
back in London
I dont think people know what I am getting at.

XL2 in 16:9 mode is (960 x 576 effective pixels) and 4:3 mode (720 x 576 effective pixels).

On the my XL-1 it was 720 x 576 and shave top and bottom to achieve the wide screen effect. Now that canon knows how to squeeze 960 x 576 on a mini DV tape to make real wide screen. my question is what are the compatitblity issues.

Laslo Panaflex said:

oh by the way Laslo Panaflex, XL2 PAL is not listed on the PDF yet, my fault for not mentioning it. I use a JVC HR-DVS3 VHS/DV deck. Seems the most value for money.

MisterMe said:
The Canon XL-1 and Canon XL-2 produce professional-quality video at consumer prices. It is not a difficult concept.

Well the concept I think here is that you dont want to wear out the heads on the camera. I have never rewound a cassette on my XL-1. Lasio Panaflex is right in getting an external deck, for varios reason, IMHO.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Alte22a said:
I dont think people know what I am getting at.

XL2 in 16:9 mode is (960 x 576 effective pixels) and 4:3 mode (720 x 576 effective pixels).

On the my XL-1 it was 720 x 576 and shave top and bottom to achieve the wide screen effect. Now that canon knows how to squeeze 960 x 576 on a mini DV tape to make real wide screen. my question is what are the compatitblity issues.

I see what you are getting at, and BTW, you don't have the "shave" the top and bottom, you just aren't capturing it correctly (if shot correctly). If you shot the footage in "frame" mode all you have to do is change the the capture preset, in FCP there is a setting for widescreen, this takes the squeezed pixels on the DV tape and captures only video, no black bars,of course if you are viewing on a NTSC monitor that is 4x3 aspec, you will get black bars. That way you don't have to "shave" the top and the bottom. If you are confused by what I said let me know, I have done this several times with my XL-1, it is NTSC though, but that shouldn't make any difference.

I think that the XL-2 works the same way, but seeing as I have not used it yet, and it is relatively new, I can't say for certain. You sould go ask at the 2-pop forums at http://www.2-pop.com and ask them, someone there should have the camera and be able to help.

Alte22a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2003
back in London
I always shoot in frame mode and capture using FCP Firewire PAL anamorphic. I always assumed that it "shaves" the top and bottom off. So it actually streches it. Been using FCP since version 1 and its come along way. Still using the same tower from back then. Holding on to it until I feel happy to depart with it. Dont laugh but I use all this equipment for weddings. but it pays for the gear and its not so challenging. Then when I have time some friends of mine like to go and make our own films.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.