Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xylian

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
Hi,
I've just exported a video from iMovie to iDVD and "I think" it has created somewhere a movie file that is used by iDVD.. My question is where is this file?

I've saved the iDVD project on an external drive and it occupies about 700 Mb of space (encoded menus etc..)... but when I chose to archive the iDVD project it occupies about 4 GB and in the archived project I find also some .dv files and a movie file that occupies 2GB... where were these files stored before? Is there any temporary iDVD directory? How to clean it? I hope I've been quite clear...

I don't like when I do not understand how my disk space is eaten by iMovie & co..

EDIT: I have also a similar question... where are the movie files created with "export to media browser" in iMovie'09?

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
Open the .rcproject folder by performing a control click on it to "Show Package Contents". I think you'll find it in a folder in there called Movies.

WayneH1

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2010
Hi,
EDIT: I have also a similar question... where are the movie files created with "export to media browser" in iMovie'09?

Media browser exports are inside the iMovie project file itself. Apple "hid" them there to prevent mucking things up at the Finder level, just as your photos in iPhoto are now "hidden" inside one big database file. Open your iMovie Projects folder and find your project file there. Right click and "show package contents". Exports are in the "movies" folder, which may not be present if you haven't exported anything yet.

The export to iDVD is not stored in the iDVD project until iDVD makes an encoded copy, nor is it stored inside the iMovie project file. I believe iDVD is able to encode the iMovie project without making an intermediate export from iMovie. This means the "shared movie" doesn't exist anywhere, it's created as iDVD needs it. This seems a bit surprising but I've hunted for the file and not found it.

Xylian

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
Media browser exports are inside the iMovie project file itself. Apple "hid" them there to prevent mucking things up at the Finder level, just as your photos in iPhoto are now "hidden" inside one big database file. Open your iMovie Projects folder and find your project file there. Right click and "show package contents". Exports are in the "movies" folder, which may not be present if you haven't exported anything yet.

The export to iDVD is not stored in the iDVD project until iDVD makes an encoded copy, nor is it stored inside the iMovie project file. I believe iDVD is able to encode the iMovie project without making an intermediate export from iMovie. This means the "shared movie" doesn't exist anywhere, it's created as iDVD needs it. This seems a bit surprising but I've hunted for the file and not found it.
Thank you very much for your answer! While I was waiting for an answer I've done a lot of search on the folders of my OSX disk and I've seen what you said about the media browser..

Then, I've exported again an iMovie project to iDVD and I've noticed that, even if the iMovie project is on an external drive, when you export to iDVD it creates an iDVD project folder named as your iMovie project in your Documents folder, in which you can find the exported movie file.. I don't like this, because even if you later save the iDVD project on the external drive, iDVD saves on the external drive the project settings and other stuff as the data it converts in background but NOT the big movie file it received from iMovie, which remains in the project in your Documents folder.. If you choose to archive the project which is on the external drive (which contains, as I've just said, all except the big movie file), it creates a new archived copy of the project, copying also the movie file received from iMovie...

I don't like this, I repeat, I think that iMovie should ask you where you want to store the new iDVD project when you choose to export to iDVD and avoid using disk space in your Documents folder if you want to work only on external drives..

I hope I've been quite clear... :rolleyes:

ekulis

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2010
I don't like this, I repeat, I think that iMovie should ask you where you want to store the new iDVD project when you choose to export to iDVD and avoid using disk space in your Documents folder if you want to work only on external drives..

I hope I've been quite clear... :rolleyes:

I second that! Need to ask where the iDVD Project should go!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.