Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harry*333

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
I just the grip vie yesterday at the apple store, and just for those who are wondering they had a bunch of them in stock.
The feel is really nice, it isn't soft but it isn't candy case hard
Putting it on is sort of a hassle because the fit is very tight, but once it's on the tight fit is awesome, it will keep dirt out, and the tight fit makes it like it's part of the iPad not something sticking off of it
Ther are built in button thingies so the buttons arent exposed
There are holes in the side of the case for the headphones, microphone, speaker, USB, and rotation lock
If you have a pair of headphones with a very wide end it might not fit into the hole provided
The only things I don't like are:
The hole for screen rotation lock, now I can't get to it with my finger, I have to use my finger nail
And the little piece of plastic that is right under the home button is thin and is very easy the stretch, might break or stretch out over time

But all in all, it is an exceptional case

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
I'm glad you like it, but, I examined this case at the apple store.
way overpriced for a soft plastic shell cover. $50+ tax. how can the manuf do this? I got 2 similar plastic slip-on ones on ebay for $7.50 each.

Even Apple's case is less $ and offers the stand features, front and back protection, and better materials.

not bashing your decision, just can't believe Belkin can get away with it. probably cost $1 in materials, and .02 cents for packaging.

firteen888

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2008
I got 2 similar plastic slip-on ones on ebay for $7.50 each.

Saw the Belkin in the apple store and compared it to the $9.75 case I got on ebay a few days ago. Pretty much the same thing. The Belkin is a little better, but overall I'd pick my $9.75 case over the $50 Belkin any day. Plus there's no obnoxious "belkin" tag on the back of mine. Completely clear of any branding.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
same.

I would like to get this case, but cannot justify spending $50 on it - no way, no how.

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2004
There is always a compromise when you buy the knock off, and even if it is small, the extra money is worth being spent. I just received a $10 case that 'looks' like the belkin, but the material is a bit thinner, the lip comes too high over the iPad where dirt could get trapped, and for all I know, it will yellow faster due to cheaper materials.

So all in all, the Belkin may seem to be overpriced, but if it is as close to perfection as it can get in terms of the feel, fit, and materials, then you've gotten your monies worth.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
LOL. See? Spending money foolishly feels good, right? No matter what led you there, you got a great case. Good job.

BJ

Posted from my iPad 3G/64GB/$829

Now that I have it on, it actually feels really nice and protects the iPad even better. Don't regret this purchase for a second!

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Bought one today at Fry's Electronics for $29.99. Not sure if the price is because it's Fry's anniversary sale, but it wasn't shown as "marked down". I had to ask if they even had iPad accessories - they were burried under the Macbooks.

Belkin F8N37, Fry's SKU F8N378ttCLR-APL.

I'm really pleased with it. The "built in button thingies" work really well. As the OP noted, it's pretty difficult to flip the orientation-lock button, though. I will probably make a cut-out with an exacto knife so that I can use the Apple dock.

I think it has quite a soft feel, myself. Very nice tactically, is going to make it much nicer to hold when reading. (You still need some weight training, though, if you're going to hold the thing up reading in bed, LOL.) I also don't think it's particularly difficult to slip on and off. You do have to do a bit of re-setting of the bead around the bezel with your fingernail, but once it's all lined-up it just looks like it's part of the iPad.

They had a "hard" version, as well, I think for the same price. Maybe this was a mis-pricing, and they priced the Grip View at the same price as the hard-surface case?

I also picked up a Tucano Second Skin Doppio, also for $29.99. I'm quite happy with my Second Skin for my 13" Macbook, so was happy to see that. The iPad will fit in it with the Belkin installed, but you do have to be careful to make sure it's stuffed in there good, otherwise the zipper can be difficult. The Doppio has a second compartment for accessories which is handy for *flat* accessories - don't get crazy with, say, the power adapter! (No, the Bluetooth keyboard doesn't fit.) Good for a cable, etc.

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
Bought one today at Fry's Electronics for $29.99. Not sure if the price is because it's Fry's anniversary sale, but it wasn't shown as "marked down". I had to ask if they even had iPad accessories - they were burried under the Macbooks.

Belkin F8N37, Fry's SKU F8N378ttCLR-APL.

I'm really pleased with it. The "built in button thingies" work really well. As the OP noted, it's pretty difficult to flip the orientation-lock button, though. I will probably make a cut-out with an exacto knife so that I can use the Apple dock.

I think it has quite a soft feel, myself. Very nice tactically, is going to make it much nicer to hold when reading. (You still need some weight training, though, if you're going to hold the thing up reading in bed, LOL.) I also don't think it's particularly difficult to slip on and off. You do have to do a bit of re-setting of the bead around the bezel with your fingernail, but once it's all lined-up it just looks like it's part of the iPad.

They had a "hard" version, as well, I think for the same price. Maybe this was a mis-pricing, and they priced the Grip View at the same price as the hard-surface case?

I also picked up a Tucano Second Skin Doppio, also for $29.99. I'm quite happy with my Second Skin for my 13" Macbook, so was happy to see that. The iPad will fit in it with the Belkin installed, but you do have to be careful to make sure it's stuffed in there good, otherwise the zipper can be difficult. The Doppio has a second compartment for accessories which is handy for *flat* accessories - don't get crazy with, say, the power adapter! (No, the Bluetooth keyboard doesn't fit.) Good for a cable, etc.

I saw this, too, on the Frys webpage and was thinking of getting it. Is this the one, though, that can't be connected to the charger and camera connectors without removing the shell?

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I checked Frys.com and according to their site, my local Frys (about an hour away), does not have them available. This is probably a good thing. I have one coming from Amazon today, and if it was available it would have been hard to resist the urge to return it and get one from Frys.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
I saw this, too, on the Frys webpage and was thinking of getting it. Is this the one, though, that can't be connected to the charger and camera connectors without removing the shell?

The one I got at Fry's (GripVue) has no problem with dock cables. It won't work with the actual Apple dock without modification. But cables are no problem.

I dunno about the hard-shell version.

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
I checked Frys.com and according to their site, my local Frys (about an hour away), does not have them available. This is probably a good thing. I have one coming from Amazon today, and if it was available it would have been hard to resist the urge to return it and get one from Frys.

The one I got at Fry's (GripVue) has no problem with dock cables. It won't work with the actual Apple dock without modification. But cables are no problem.

I dunno about the hard-shell version.

Thanks for the responses. I went over and saw it was the Grip Vue. They also had some Macally and Tuscano sleeves/folios/shells. I liked the feel of the Belkin but it won't fit in my Marware Eco Vue. I wanted something that fits the folio and still allows me to pull the iPad out and use it with some scratch protection.

I guess I'll see what Power Support will come out with or get a BestSkinSaver...

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Thanks for the responses. I went over and saw it was the Grip Vue. They also had some Macally and Tuscano sleeves/folios/shells. I liked the feel of the Belkin but it won't fit in my Marware Eco Vue. I wanted something that fits the folio and still allows me to pull the iPad out and use it with some scratch protection.

I guess I'll see what Power Support will come out with or get a BestSkinSaver...

IMG_0886.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

Check out the Griffin Passport. I use it with the Belkin Grip Vue and achieve what you're referring to. Instead of a tight inner pocket, the Passport has 4 corner holders and allows for the extra few millimeters of height needed.

BJ

Posted from my BMW

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
Very nice, boltjames! If I didn't have the Marware Eco Vue already, I would strongly consider your setup. Thanks for sharing!

Oh, and I like your sign-off! (E38 here) :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Check out the Griffin Passport. I use it with the Belkin Grip Vue and achieve what you're referring to. Instead of a tight inner pocket, the Passport has 4 corner holders and allows for the extra few millimeters of height needed.

BJ

Posted from my BMW
TIMG your tags weirdo and you sound like shiderboy. :rolleyes:

And hey does the title not bug the **** out of anyone else?

TxMacAddict

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
Thanks for posting the Fry's info. I took my grip vue back to apple and buying it from Fry's.. $20 savings. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.