Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hundleton1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
Wales UK
I am going to get the camera connection kit so i can use my iPad as storage from my Dslr,does the iPad store the pics as they come from the camera? When I added pics from iTunes I noticed it said it was optimizing them so was wondering did it make changes ?

Also can you use raw as well ?

Dogpilot

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2010
Took the pad with us to an engagement party last weekend. My son shot around 500 NEF files on his D90. Put the SD card in and it took them all, stored them as an import. Then passed the pad around during breakfast the next morning. It is clearly a cool item to share photos on. I tried using my CF card reader hooked into the USB adaptor. It gave an error about too much power draw from the accessory. So I have to hook the D300 up through it's USB port to read the CF cards.

Bob Chadwick

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2008
Some CF card readers will work. I have an old Sandisk one that works fine. Others have reported similiar results.

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
Anyone know the answer to the OP's question regarding the picture files and whether they retain their original quality or are they optimized like they are when loaded from iTunes?

nutsnbolts

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
I'm curious as this as well. Unfortunately, my sLRs are compact flash and I guess I have to use the USB connector to get them imported.

Dogpilot

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2010
If you load a NEF (raw) file to the pad, it stays a NEF. Just checked for sure by emailing one to myself. I had high hope for the old SanDisk CF reader. I dug around looking for an old one I had as well. Tried it, but got the same, "accessory uses too much power" with my 8 gb SanDisk CF Ultra III card. Curious, I went and got an older SanDisk Extreme 512 mb, which it read through the card reader without the error message. So it would seem the power draw is dependent on the card type and size. So it may work with your card, test to be sure. Otherwise, you have to hook the CF card camera through the USB to get it to the pad.

Davydd

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2008
Minnesota
I haven't shot anything in RAW yet but I did take a photo with my Canon SD850 and transfer it to the iPad and then afterwards to my Mac iPhoto library. Then I emailed the photo to myself and opened it on the Mac. The photo emailed from the iPad was 2048 x 1536 1.4 MB. The uploaded photo to iPhoto was 3264 x 2448 4.6 MB. I don't know if the difference is because iPad optimizes the photo or whether it is done in the emailing process. I know I won't be deleting photos off my camera card until I put them on the Mac or understand better what's going on.

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
I haven't shot anything in RAW yet but I did take a photo with my Canon SD850 and transfer it to the iPad and then afterwards to my Mac iPhoto library. Then I emailed the photo to myself and opened it on the Mac. The photo emailed from the iPad was 2048 x 1536 1.4 MB. The uploaded photo to iPhoto was 3264 x 2448 4.6 MB. I don't know if the difference is because iPad optimizes the photo or whether it is done in the emailing process. I know I won't be deleting photos off my camera card until I put them on the Mac or understand better what's going on.

I read somewhere on here that emailing them does reduce their size, and if you want to keep the aspect ratio, etc... that you should copy then paste them in an email message.

Try your experiment again with that tactic and it would be interesting to see the results.

Davydd

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2008
Minnesota
I read somewhere on here that emailing them does reduce their size, and if you want to keep the aspect ratio, etc... that you should copy then paste them in an email message.

Try your experiment again with that tactic and it would be interesting to see the results.

I did the test again via copy and paste as you suggested and the file in the email does come over at full resolution and size taken by the camera. That is kind of a convoluted way to transfer a photo to the Mac. Is there a better way? I just haven't looked into it much yet but this fall I will be going to Europe and may take my iPad but not my MacBook Pro.

Boblister

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2008
North West UK
Has anyone tried this with Canon RAW files. I have a Canon 5Dii and was hoping to use the iPad and connection kit to review shots in the field. I understand I probably won't be able to read the CF cards, but I am hoping I can transfer direct from the camera using the Canon USB cable.

Dogpilot

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2010
If it will read RAW from my Nikon, I don't see why it wouldn't from your Canon (it would be just plain stupid to not have the raw converter for that camera as well). I do hate having to tether the camera and reduce it to being a card reader, but it is the reality with the larger cards. To make it less painful from a cabling standpoint, I have become fond of the little retracting USB cords. They roll themselves up to no bigger than my CF card reader.

I am really grateful to not carry my notebook in my backpack now. Since I use my camera a lot in the field (I am a remote sensing Geologist). I take pics in IR, so reviewing them on a larger screen is a must. So I constantly had to bring my MacBook Pro with me. After hiking up and down hills and mountains, any weight saving is a blessing.

yaroldb

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
Works with my Olympus Raw files (.ORF). They are complete and viewable. I then transfer them into Lightroom directly. I do have to download them into Iphoto to get them off the iPad (or go in and delete one by one). Last time I loaded about 200 raw files and I did not want to go in and delete one at a time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.