PDA

View Full Version : 10.4 Server, Invalid Serial after install

cantthinkofone
May 16, 2010, 03:59 PM
Yes this is a illegal install of 10.4 Server. I'm just wanting to mess around with a server OS and see what I can break and get working. I found a serial online and it worked and everything seemed fine. When i opened the server admin program it said my serial was invalid.

Why would it let me install if it is invalid? I haven't hooked it up to the internet and the only other computer on the network is a laptop running 10.5, also no internet.

Is there a way around this?

1ofthedavids
May 16, 2010, 11:40 PM
Well, you said yourself it's illegal.... do you really think you're going to get help?

cantthinkofone
May 17, 2010, 11:41 AM
Expected some type of response. Im just curious as to why it would let me install it, and then when it's up and running it would say it's invalid.

Being it's four year old, out dated server software, and I'm just tinkering with it I don't see the big deal.

Consultant
May 17, 2010, 02:15 PM
You can get a time limited OS X server for FREE to test out.

JGruber
May 17, 2010, 02:44 PM
I'm almost positive Apple isn't offering that program any longer.

http://seminars.apple.com/contactme/SnowLeopardServerEvaluation/

jampat
May 17, 2010, 02:46 PM
The forum rules here are pretty clear about requesting information on illegal software. This thread will probably be deleted in 3. . 2. . 1 . . .

That being said, it would be nice if corporations allowed non-commercial, unsupported use of their old software, unfortunately, non (that I know of do). Doesn't the mac mini server come with a copy of server?

JGruber
May 17, 2010, 02:49 PM
The forum rules here are pretty clear about requesting information on illegal software. This thread will probably be deleted in 3. . 2. . 1 . . .

That being said, it would be nice if corporations allowed non-commercial, unsupported use of their old software, unfortunately, non (that I know of do). Doesn't the mac mini server come with a copy of server?

Yes, however it's $1000, so to learn the server software (which changed a lot from 10.4 to 10.6), it's a big investment.

cantthinkofone
May 17, 2010, 02:54 PM

I'm not asking for a serial number.

I picked Tiger because 1) I'm using a Power Mac G4 to run it on, and 2) its way out of date and not sold any more, don't think apple would care if somebody installed it just to tinker on. Not trying to run a corporation here.

JGruber
May 17, 2010, 02:56 PM
I'm not asking for a serial number.

I picked Tiger because 1) I'm using a Power Mac G4 to run it on, and 2) its way out of date and not sold any more, don't think apple would care if somebody installed it just to tinker on. Not trying to run a corporation here.

Jampat wasn't implying that, he was referring to the talk of doing something with illegal software.

I'm sure you can find 10.4 Server on CD or DVD on Ebay, that way you can do it legally.

Consultant
May 17, 2010, 03:13 PM
I'm almost positive Apple isn't offering that program any longer.

http://seminars.apple.com/contactme/SnowLeopardServerEvaluation/

Doh! Thanks for the info.