PDA

View Full Version : How do I get songs from my iPod to my computer?

johnbro23
Oct 5, 2004, 02:10 PM
I got my iPod stolen from me this spring, and just got it returned to me today. The police just dropped it off at our school and said heres your stuff but we won't say who took it. There was a typed note with it that said, "Please pass these goods to the owners and ask them on my behalf to forgive me."

Anyways, as amazing as that is, I have a minor problem. In the meantime, I got a new iPod and would like to put some of the songs from my old iPod onto the new one. iTunes won't let me copy songs from my old iPod to my library. Is this possible? If so, how?

Thanks for your help in advance.

wrldwzrd89
Oct 5, 2004, 02:13 PM
I got my iPod stolen from me this spring, and just got it returned to me today. The police just dropped it off at our school and said heres your stuff but we won't say who took it. There was a typed note with it that said, "Please pass these goods to the owners and ask them on my behalf to forgive me."

Anyways, as amazing as that is, I have a minor problem. In the meantime, I got a new iPod and would like to put some of the songs from my old iPod onto the new one. iTunes won't let me copy songs from my old iPod to my library. Is this possible? If so, how?

Thanks for your help in advance.
There are programs that do this, such as EscapePod and iPodRip. Just do a search - I'm intentionally not providing links.

Elan0204
Oct 5, 2004, 02:13 PM
You need to download a program that can do this for you, since as you have learned iTunes won't allow it. I can't remember the name of any of the available apps that do this, as I have never used any of them myself, but try searching on www.versiontracker.com. Spend a minute or two looking, and I'm sure you'll find something, as there are plenty of apps to pull songs of an iPod.

edit: Looks like wrldwzrd89, and I posted at the same time. Combine our posts, and you should find what you need.

johnbro23
Oct 5, 2004, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the quick replys. I'll try it out and see if it works.

cluthz
Oct 5, 2004, 02:24 PM
If you are familiar with the terminal you can use it to dump all your songs to your hd.
> cp /Volumes/"your-ipod"/iPod Control/Music/*/* "target"

where "your ipod" is your ipods name and "target" is a folder on you hd (ex if you want it in your music folder on you user : /Users/"your-user"/Music/

johnbro23
Oct 5, 2004, 02:44 PM
I downloaded iPodRip. It looks like it should work, but when I choose "Import", it looks like it moves the songs (the status bar shows up and finishes quickly), but they don't show up in iTunes. I dont get it. :confused:

cluthz
Oct 5, 2004, 02:53 PM
I downloaded iPodRip. It looks like it should work, but when I choose "Import", it looks like it moves the songs (the status bar shows up and finishes quickly), but they don't show up in iTunes. I dont get it. :confused:

It probably moves them to your HD. I don't think iits importing them to iTunes.
Look around and see if you can find them (probably in you user folder or on the root catalog). You have to add them to your library afterwards.

johnbro23
Oct 5, 2004, 03:10 PM
I tried importing to my desktop instead of straight to iTunes. It works that way. Thanks for your help!