Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ec1_mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2004
London, UK
I have just purchased these speakers for my new 20" IMac G5. They are not showing up in sound properties, any idea what i might be doing wrong? Is it the mac? Its all set up correctly but not showing up, as there are only 2 oprts on the back speaks/headphones i prosume thats ok.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
ec1_mac said:
I have just purchased these speakers for my new 20" IMac G5. They are not showing up in sound properties, any idea what i might be doing wrong? Is it the mac? Its all set up correctly but not showing up, as there are only 2 oprts on the back speaks/headphones i prosume thats ok.
With most Macs these days, you have to plug external speakers into the headphone port, and that's pretty much it...Mac OS X automatically switches the output from the internal speakers to the external ones you just plugged in (or headphones if that's what you plugged in there). It's quite possible that the speaker port is like the old iMac G4's speaker port, and is not the right shape for the plug on the SoundSticks.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Aren't those USB Speakers? I have harmon/kardon sound sticks with iSub and everything goes through the USB port on my iMac.

hmm.....

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Yes I was! Looking through the harmon/kardon site I see there's no difference between mine (the original Sound Sticks) and the Sound Sticks II. They provide the same wattage of speakers and subwoofers just with a different interface.

I must say that these are absolutely amazing speakers. I cannot make these speakers go loud enough to distort the sound. All of the bass goes through the iSub as it should making anything from games to music to movies, sound awesome! I only paid $90 for mine shipped via eBay!

ec1_mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2004
London, UK
where would we be without ebay. hmm mine came direct from apple store, the gave me a slight discount as i bought my G5 last week.
Might have to invest in an ipod next, before the Christmas rush..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.