Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sebgate20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
I seem to live in a PC world here in the UK. People often say things like Why use Macs? They're rubbish! PCs are better.

I am terrible at comebacks so can people give me some comebacks :( to common statments like this :cool:

Thanks

Seb :)

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
PC user: Macs are rubbish, why use them?
You: why are Macs rubbish? They can play games just like your PC, they can browse the internet, email, and basically everything your PC can do. And it usually can do it better. Macs don't get virii or spyware.

I ask many of my friends why they say 'Macs suck' and every time, they give me some spin of answer about clock cycles or the latest games.

Basically, if you want a good comeback, learn the facts. Hang our around the PC and Mac hardware and software websites, see what they have to say, collect information, and use it.

http://www.tomshardware.com is good place to start for PC hardware.

And remember, clock cycles are next to useless in trying to compare an x86 CPU against a PPC.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
Keep in mind, 9/10 people who say macs are junk have never even used one.

Its very difficult for the Windows-lovers to make a very good arguement against something they have no actual experience with. The basis of most of their claims is myth, jokes, and personal opinions - all of which account for nothing.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Hmmm, first of all my friends never say stuff like that and the other people who say stuff like that are usually not really worth talking to anyway.
It goes something like this:

PC user: Macs are rubbish, why use them, PCs are better.
Me: Oh, ok. If you say so. or:
Me: Whatever. or:
Me: You're correct, I just do this to punish myself, happy?

Seriously, it's not really worth arguing. Why do so with oviously narrow-minded people. That's like arguing with people that say the world is flat, would you do that?

Applespider

macrumors G4
sebgate20 said:
I seem to live in a PC world here in the UK. People often say things like Why use Macs? They're rubbish! PCs are better.

I think in the UK, the more you evangelise, the more some friends will keep trying to wind you up. My friends asked me why I got a Mac since PCs are better. I just said that it did everything I needed and I was tired of the Windows security issues. No evangelising by me and no more antagonising by them.

That was 9 months ago. Now 2 of them are considering buying Macs since they've seen me take my Powerbook on leisure trips (their laptops are bigger/heavier so they can't be bothered unless it's work), they're astonished when I just lift the lid and connect to wi-fi instantly, they can't really believe that I only restart it when I install things and the concept of not having to run Adaware etc/update virus definitions on a daily basis is beyond them.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Ask them about the last time they used one.

Actually, I just agree with them, it's not worth wasting your breath. Who cares? I don't. All I know is, I'm using a better laptop then the guy sat left of me using a DELL :)

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
I sold my cube at the weekend and in the (hopefully short) gap before I buy a Powerbook I am using a Dell Latitude D600 laptop. For a Dell its not too bad, it only(!) crashes about twice a week, and the rest of the time its fine.

Last night I tried to set it up to use the broadband connection vacated by my cube. I spent an hour and half trying to install the drivers for the modem and set up the connection details. In the end I gave up and it still doesn't work. I don't even know why, but I kept getting cryptic error messages about access being denied when the "found new hardware wizard" tried to copy the drivers to C:Windows/System32/

What a load of cr*p. On my mac I just plugged the modem in, entered my userID and password when prompted and I was away. Not only does the PC not work, but the whole process of setting it up was painful even if it had of worked. When it didn't work, the installer or the help centre didn't offer any solutions as to what was wrong. (I tried changing the read/write permissions on C:Windows/etc but that didn't seem to be the problem).

So, thats why Macs are better, because they work! I couldn't care less if PC users want to think otherwise and pay £2 a minute for tech help lines just to set up a broadband connection. Leave them to it and don't bother telling them otherwise. As long as you enjoy your mac yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.