Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wirelessimports

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
I have used disk utility to take DMG files such as OSX and create a disk image onto the flash drive and upgrade / reinstall the OS on my mac.

I don't have any blank DVD's to burn the win 7 ISO onto so I tried doing the same by putting the ISO onto a flash drive and it doesn't work in Disk Utility. I tried doing it on a XP computer which was (I think) successful in putting the disk image onto the flash drive.

Now when I reboot and hold option I don't have any option to start up the computer other than the Mac HD.

I have installed Paragon to be able to read and write NTFS files / disks.

Does anyone know if its possible to install win 7 via USB onto a mac or am I wasting my time?

Thank you in advance.

TiffanyBee

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2010
California
I know you're asking for help with boot camp, but your life will be so much easier if you got Parallels. You wouldn't need to burn Windows 7 onto a CD, you just need to find the .iso & Parallels will install it for you.

wirelessimports

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
Thank you. But parallels is just too slow for my liking. I need it to use to trade stocks and need a dedicated PC to run the proper software needed.

TiffanyBee

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2010
California
I think you should be able to install it via USB if you have all the files on it (iso & what not). If not, you might as well go out & get a DVD to burn it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.