PDA

View Full Version : Where are the iMac G5 adverts?

johnnyjibbs
Oct 5, 2004, 05:33 PM
Is it me or has there so far been a complete lack of advertising regarding the iMac? If this is supposed to be Apple's flagship new product, where are all the ads? I have not even heard of, let alone seen, any print ads, posters or TV slots. The last Macintosh ad I saw (not iPod) was the Power Mac G5 one that got banned here in the UK!

Come on Apple! Tell us about the iMac!

mklos
Oct 5, 2004, 05:57 PM
Apple hardly ever advertises any of its products except the iPod. If you do see a commercial...you only see it for like a week and then its pulled.

The iPod provides free advertising for all of Apple's products because most customers will see the iMac when they visit Apple's home page to get info on the iPod.

hcorf
Oct 5, 2004, 06:13 PM
i agree with the post from the first guy,
how the ****** is anyone who is not a total macintosh junkie going to know about how cool the new imac is if there are no adverts?

Most people dont walk into an apple store for no reason. and if you dont already have a mac there is no reason to visit the apple website.

There are some reviews in pc mags i would admit but hardly anyone outside the mac addict community knows about this thing.

micvog
Oct 5, 2004, 06:22 PM
FWIW, Apple is running a two-page ad on the inside cover of the current Newsweek; I believe Apple advertised the new iMac on the back page of last week's Newsweek. That being said...

Right now Apple is quoting a 3-4 week leadtime for delivery of the base 17" model. Perhaps they are waiting to get some inventory in channel and for the "commercial holiday formerly known as Christmas" selling season to start.

rdowns
Oct 5, 2004, 07:01 PM
2 page ad in the new Wired mag.

~Shard~
Oct 5, 2004, 07:48 PM
I've seen a few ads as well in printed material. Does everyone not read anymore and rely solely on TV? :p ;)

TV ads would probably do well, but those seem reserved for the iPod as of late. ;) Apple would definitely benefit from advertising the new iMac more, but such is the case with all of Apple's other products besides the iPod (which they already advertise the hell out of.)

kaylee
Oct 5, 2004, 08:26 PM
Nextbyte (an Apple reseller store here in Australia, we don't actually have any Apple stores) is advertising the new G5 iMac, and iPod/iPod Mini on radio constantly.

paxtonandrew
Oct 5, 2004, 09:18 PM
Nextbyte (an Apple reseller store here in Australia, we don't actually have any Apple stores) is advertising the new G5 iMac, and iPod/iPod Mini on radio constantly.

This is true, which is unfortunate for us here 'Down Under'. In Sydney however, we see the new iMac in the color supplements in all of our Newspapers, including the 'Good Weekend' (Sydney Morning Herald), 'Sunday Life' (Sun Herald), and '[the] Sunday Magazine' (Sunday Telegraph), and the 'Connect' Magazine in Wednesday's (Today's) Telegraph always has a Mac article, and recently it has been about the new iMac, and Tiger.

johnnyjibbs
Oct 6, 2004, 05:26 AM
Only certain types of people read things like Wired and Newsweek. They need this computer to appeal to the masses. Sticking a decent 30 second ad in the halfway break of Coronation Street here in Blighty would do nicely!

~Shard~
Oct 6, 2004, 07:51 AM
Only certain types of people read things like Wired and Newsweek. They need this computer to appeal to the masses. Sticking a decent 30 second ad in the halfway break of Coronation Street here in Blighty would do nicely!

You're going to appeal to the masses of Mac users by advertising during Coronation Street?!? :confused:

But yah, I guess you're right, only certain types of people actually read things - which is too bad, as I think more and more people in today's society are forgetting about the beauty of the printed word and are too busy playing video games, etc. etc. More people out there should pick up a good book, novel or magazine and actually read - I think that's something which is going by the wayside more and more, unfortunately... :(

johnnyjibbs
Oct 6, 2004, 07:58 AM
One advert in the middle of Coronation Street is all they need, believe me! It is about the only place the average Joe will see it. Most people in Britain don't really even know Macs exist. They certainly wouldn't really have that much of a clue about the iMac, only possibly being able to recall the first gen CRT one.

Coronation Street watchers is the target market that iMac is all about. Apple needs to open its eyes and try to appeal to more than just the niche - the tech-savy people like us who visit MacRumors or read technical magazines. Apple has the products, it's just people don't know about them or enough about them. And Apple should be capitalising on the whole security mess facing Windows at the moment.

~Shard~
Oct 6, 2004, 08:21 AM
One advert in the middle of Coronation Street is all they need, believe me! It is about the only place the average Joe will see it. Most people in Britain don't really even know Macs exist. They certainly wouldn't really have that much of a clue about the iMac, only possibly being able to recall the first gen CRT one.

Coronation Street watchers is the target market that iMac is all about.

Alrighty then, you'd know better than I - that just wasn't the first show that would come to mind when thinking about the iMac's target market... ;)

Apple needs to open its eyes and try to appeal to more than just the niche - the tech-savy people like us who visit MacRumors or read technical magazines. Apple has the products, it's just people don't know about them or enough about them. And Apple should be capitalising on the whole security mess facing Windows at the moment.

Very true - I've lost count of how many times I've explained Macs to people and opened their eyes to the wonderful world of Apple, people who had never really heard or knew anything about Macs, but after I educate them, they love them. Apple could definitely be more aggressive in this promotional aspect instead of relying so much on word of mouth as is the case right now.

edesignuk
Oct 6, 2004, 08:26 AM
I'm waiting until the London Apple Store opens, if they don't start pushing the iMac G5 along with the first Apple Store in Europe by then, they don't deserve sucess in the UK quite frankly.

hansen
Oct 6, 2004, 08:56 AM
Only certain types of people read things like Wired and Newsweek.

I agree. The adds should be in womens magazines, style magazines and so on. It's appealing to all of those who doesn't care about tech and three-letter-acronyms.

A stylish e-mail, web apparatus that doesn't need weekends of maintenance, is not in the way, just works, and looks damn good.

johnnyjibbs
Oct 6, 2004, 10:21 AM
Alrighty then, you'd know better than I - that just wasn't the first show that would come to mind when thinking about the iMac's target market... ;)
It's just Coronation Street is Britain's most watched program with 12-20 million viewers.

I'll agreee though that adverts in the middle of programs like Friends, Sex in the City, X Factor (Pop Idol effectively) would also be good, although the younger generations watching these shows may be a little more clued up about them - this is where you generally get the iPod adverts.

earthtoandy
Oct 6, 2004, 10:24 AM
wait til they get supply under control then we will see some ads. i am thinking starting in november. they should stabalize by then and also its perfect for christmas shopping. i mean without commercials they are having a hard time keeping people out of apple store! :D

apple is careful with adverts and runs them sparingly... they instead spend that money on making better computers!