PDA

View Full Version : Google blocks "cougar" ads from content sites

mkrishnan
May 17, 2010, 07:35 AM
Okay, the wifi privacy intrusions, releasing their phone without multi-touch, and the awful site redesign, I could forgive. But now they've gone too far. :mad:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/16/fashion/16cougar.html?hpw

IF you’re a woman who would like to date younger men, you can find lots of articles about these relationships by doing a Google search.

But as a woman looking for a man, you might be a little confused by the advertisements that accompany these articles. One promises to help you find sexy Latin women, and another, hot Latvian ladies. But there are no links to the growing number of “cougar” dating sites, matching older women with younger men, on content sites that show up in a Google search. Google has recently deemed those dating sites “nonfamily safe,” and therefore its ads for such sites containing the word “cougar” will not be allowed on so-called content pages.

The Google advertising system has two components: one for ads that appear next to search results, and one for its content network. For a company like CougarLife.com, now banned from the content network, that means its ads will no longer appear on more than 6,700 Web sites, including Ask.com, YouTube and MySpace, which accounted for 60 percent of its traffic, said Thomas Koshy, vice president for marketing at CougarLife, a Toronto-based site that says it has a half-million members, men and women.

Google continues to allow similar advertising for the many sites that match older men and younger women, like DateAMillionaire.com, which assures its clients they can meet “sugar babies.”

So cougars and cubs are out, but sugar daddies and sugar babies are in.

GoCubsGo
May 17, 2010, 07:50 AM
Oh this clears up a lot for me, thanks.

iBlue
May 17, 2010, 07:55 AM
Lecherousness, apparently it's not created equally. :rolleyes:

I also would hazard a guess that the emotional damage in both dating scenarios is actually worse for the younger woman - older man than the younger man - older woman. (because VERY generally speaking men are often more content with relationships built primarily around sex.) But as ever, "it's a man's world".

niuniu
May 17, 2010, 07:58 AM
What's the problem with cougar dating sites? I can't see the rationale, unless this is only a first step in a drive of some sort.

Speaking of cougars, anyone see Rita from Dexter on Desperate Housewives recently.. holy hell :D

miles01110
May 17, 2010, 08:03 AM
Well, there go my weekends.

johnhw
May 17, 2010, 08:04 AM
Google is getting ridiculous these days.

Tilpots
May 17, 2010, 08:05 AM
If it's got Courtney Cox attached to it, it should be banned.

rdowns
May 17, 2010, 08:51 AM
Where are these hot Latvian ladies?

phineas
May 17, 2010, 08:59 AM
Can you start to say police state ;-) Control :confused:

carlgo
May 17, 2010, 10:48 AM

Well, some people like their partners to wear "police" gear, carry handcuffs, have big guns (when appropriate) and all that.

mkrishnan
May 17, 2010, 10:54 AM
Well, some people like their partners to wear "police" gear, carry handcuffs, have big guns (when appropriate) and all that.

And it's precisely Google's mentality that is preventing me from finding a sexy, mature woman to fulfill this fantasy for me. :mad:

Tilpots
May 17, 2010, 10:57 AM
And it's precisely Google's mentality that is preventing me from finding a sexy, mature woman to fulfill this fantasy for me. :mad:

If you can't find an old lady that's willing, the problem ain't with Google.;):D:p

Consultant
May 17, 2010, 09:33 PM

Google likes to limit choice. =p

You might want to visit DC

calderone
May 18, 2010, 12:27 AM
Google likes to limit choice. =p

http://www.yahoo.com

Counterfit
May 18, 2010, 03:08 AM
If it's got Courtney Cox attached to it, it should be banned.

Courtney Cox
I love you
You're so hot
On that show

redAPPLE
May 18, 2010, 03:30 AM
Where are these hot Latvian ladies?

in latvia... maybe? :D

back on topic. i thought the thread would be about mac os x.7 (maybe codename: cougar) or basically links closely related to apple...

mkrishnan
May 18, 2010, 07:12 AM
back on topic. i thought the thread would be about mac os x.7 (maybe codename: cougar) or basically links closely related to apple...

I'm sure I'll be the last person on MacRumors to ever post a thread speculating about the cat name that will go with the next version of OS X. :p

And DC, ahh, yes, DC.... Good times. :)

Abstract
May 18, 2010, 07:18 AM
Bah! Looks like I'll have to meet cougars the old fashioned way --- at children's playgrounds and cosmetic counters at a department store.

mkrishnan
May 18, 2010, 07:35 AM
cosmetic counters at a department store.

That's a good idea! Except that those tester ladies who are always spraying things everywhere kind of disturb me.

I think this thread probably does explain why my "good" post count is so low (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=917163&highlight=waloshin). :o

dmr727
May 18, 2010, 10:05 AM
Bah! Looks like I'll have to meet cougars the old fashioned way --- at children's playgrounds and cosmetic counters at a department store.

Don't forget Trader Joe's! Once you're done shopping, she'll drive you back to her home, open a bottle of wine, and throw on some Eurythmics.

Consultant
May 18, 2010, 10:13 AM
I'm sure I'll be the last person on MacRumors to ever post a thread speculating about the cat name that will go with the next version of OS X. :p

Actually already wrote about it couple of months ago, you can find it if you google:
10.7 snow cougar

DC is the fricken upside down world where girls my age go for old bolding fugly dudes and I got hit on by quite a number of older women.

yahoo.com

Dude, it's a joke.

mkrishnan
May 18, 2010, 10:40 AM
Don't forget Trader Joe's! Once you're done shopping, she'll drive you back to her home, open a bottle of wine, and throw on some Eurythmics.

I can do way better than two buck Chuck! But actually, I volunteered to serve wine at a wine tasting once, and it was pretty surreal... towards the end, there were these two women, and they were like, "You're so beautiful, just you standing there makes the wine taste good." :eek:

(At this rate, this is going to be the first thread started by a moderator to get wastelanded in a long time. :D )

duncyboy
May 18, 2010, 12:40 PM
Except that those tester ladies who are always spraying things everywhere kind of disturb me.

Lavender Snipers

I've always wondered why they're called 'Cougars' anyway. If you're in the UK and seeking involvement, try Post Offices on Tuesdays and Thursdays- pension day :D

JackHobbs
May 18, 2010, 02:28 PM
And if the post office doesn't grab you there is always bingo nights or hanging round a I meeting (Womens Institute). If you fail to get a date at the WI, at least you might get a nice slice of cake and a cup of tea!

mkrishnan
May 18, 2010, 02:34 PM
Lavender Snipers

I've always wondered why they're called 'Cougars' anyway. If you're in the UK and seeking involvement, try Post Offices on Tuesdays and Thursdays- pension day :D

And if the post office doesn't grab you there is always bingo nights or hanging round a I meeting (Womens Institute). If you fail to get a date at the WI, at least you might get a nice slice of cake and a cup of tea!

Just to be clear... Americans don't really mean random elderly women when we say cougar. :p At least I usually mean good looking, successful women in their 40s or 50s who date younger men.

niuniu
May 18, 2010, 02:39 PM
Just to be clear... Americans don't really mean random elderly women when we say cougar. :p At least I usually mean good looking, successful women in their 40s or 50s who date younger men.

Definitely not the case in the UK I guess... I signed up to CougarLife this morning to see what the controversy was..

My matches weren't.. what I expected to say the least :o

kernkraft
May 18, 2010, 02:39 PM

I killed that cat before.

But I'm a paper Tiger. Grrr...

dmr727
May 18, 2010, 02:41 PM

Exactly. It's just not about a woman dating a younger guy - it's about the aggressive attitude towards it. And hey - I think it's awesome.

Tilpots
May 18, 2010, 02:42 PM

MILF's are the old term, for those not familiar. The very important part of this is the "ILF." That's the defining line between the elder ladies, as in would you or wouldn't you.;)

dmr727
May 18, 2010, 02:45 PM
MILF's are the old term, for those not familiar.

See, I still make a distinction. A MILF isn't necessarily looking for a relationship, let alone a younger guy. A cougar, at least by the definition around these parts, is a single woman aggressively targeting younger guys.

benthewraith
May 18, 2010, 02:46 PM
MILF's are the old term, for those not familiar. The very important part of this is the "ILF." That's the defining line between the elder ladies, as in would you or wouldn't you.;)

I think banging MILFs whose children are the same age as you warrants a beat down, protected and recognized by law.

Tilpots
May 18, 2010, 02:49 PM
See, I still make a distinction. A MILF isn't necessarily looking for a relationship, let alone a younger guy. A cougar, at least by the definition around these parts, is a single woman aggressively targeting younger guys.

I see your point, but if the older woman is not a MILF, then her chances of becoming a cougar are slim to none, (Gotta feelling there are many "slims" here at MR).:D

I believe that MILF's evolved into cougars. As you point out, all MILF's aren't cougars, but a lonely afternoon and a pool boy could instantly complete the transition.

spillproof
May 18, 2010, 07:05 PM
I think banging MILFs whose children are the same age as you warrants a beat down, protected and recognized by law.

True, but there are some really hot moms at our football games.

duncyboy
May 19, 2010, 02:29 AM
Did you know they call an older guy with a younger girl a Trout because they fish downstream? I never knew that- that's made my day!!!* :D

*Note to self- get out more :o

albusseverus
May 19, 2010, 08:26 PM
If you're a woman looking for younger men, you probably don't want ads for women. I get that. But the ONLY possible explanation for cougar dating sites being considered "nonfamily safe" is that such relationships are less likely to create more families??:confused:

The Cougar phenomenon on television (is it only one show?) isn't helping. Older men with younger women are treated with more 'normality'. Not much comedy about about that, let alone slapstick comedy. Age asymmetrical relationships have existed for all human history. Google's decision and the novelty/slapstick treatment of women with younger men in popular culture are an indication of how patriarchal our society remains, despite womens' increasing financial and emotional independence.

Lecherousness, apparently it's not created equally. :rolleyes:

I also would hazard a guess that the emotional damage in both dating scenarios is actually worse for the younger woman - older man than the younger man - older woman. (because VERY generally speaking men are often more content with relationships built primarily around sex.) But as ever, "it's a man's world".

Emotional damage works both ways. Men and women just have different approaches, both are in love, although 'apparently' for different reasons. The sympathy afforded women for their emotional damage is yet another example of the patriarchal society. Men are 'not supposed' to have feelings.