Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcovortex

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
Toronto, ON
Hey All,
Have been researching and reading forums since apple released the new 13" MBPs for some info and still haven't found good information on this subject.
I know people say you don't buy a mac for gaming but with steam and blizzard making games for mac, I'm hoping and thinking some gaming should be possible going forward.
Here's my question..
People who have the NEW 13" MBP with the 320m what games are you playing on it? How generally do you feel it does at gaming? And MOST importantly what's the heat like of the laptop? Does it get really hot and do the fans go crazy?
I have always been impressed with the way the 9400m can run some games and how cool it stays on my lap.
Thanks for any and all input!

0eyvind

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2009
Hey there.

I play CoD 4 and Portal on my 13" base.
Before I enter the game I set the fans (with SMC Fancontrol) to around 4k rpm. It's not really needed, but I prefer doing it that way.
I play on medium settings in OSX with native resolution, and it's totally playable FPS. I don't have a number but I'm satisfied.. The CPU temp after around 1 hour of gaming is about 70 degrees. This is on hard, flat surfaces. Haven't tried on my lap or bed etc.

Overall I think it performs well, I'm no blown away, but I am certainly more than satisfied.
Can't wait to see what other games Macsters get through Steam. CS:S and Trackmania please!

zeemeerman2

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2010
SmcFanControl can be downloaded here.
Not necessairy, but it let's you put on your vents before the laptop becomes hot and turns it on by itself.

Therefore, if your fans normally blow at 2000 rpm, you can set it to 4000 rpm or 6000 rpm. It will become noisy, but your laptop has no chance anymore to heat up. (or at least, doesn't do that as fast as normally.)

I don't know if you have something on this, but it's some nice info about my laptop (Macbook with Intel GMAx3100 and 2 GB DDR2 RAM)

World of Warcraft (since that is what you mean, not? -Saying Blizzard- ...) let my fans blow on 6200rpm (maximum speed) and has a temperature of something like 68 °C or 154 °F if you like to put it in Fahrenheit, or 341 K, if you like to put it in Kelvin.

dorky24

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2010
I'm just wondering how ME2 runs on the 13" base. Been looking around, but nothing definitive. Have you guys tried it out yet?

Trivial rock

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Portal

Im playing portal at the mo on my 2010 MBP (specs in sig). I dont run a temp monitor when I play and its sat on the table so heat I cant vouch for, however the fans are un-noticeable. The performance is fine, it has no problems running portal on default settings.

I mostly game on my iMac but any further updates (if I install Tiberium Wars or TR Anniversary on the MBP) I'll post back.

A little note on Mac gaming: if your happy with the games that are out and are happy to wait for others to emerge dont let others tell you the Mac is not good enough.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
stays very cool.. around 70ºC while gaming in anything... I don't run Windows so I don't know anything about Windows gaming on it.

I love the 320m, but I'm not a graphics freak. I have just as much fun playing a fun game in minimum graphics as I do on maximum.... but heck i still play some old 16 color DOS games.

Selenica

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2010
I'm also very interested in hearing what kind of results people are getting with the new MBP 13''. Particularly how it runs under Windows 7 (Does it run too hot? Would running it on Windows 7 damage or reduce the lifespan of the MBP?)

I'm pretty much set on getting the 13'' because of the battery life. I love the idea of not being tethered by an AC adapter. Having the ability to play some of the upcoming games like Starcraft II, Diablo III, Star Wars: Old Republic, & Guild Wars 2 would be a nice bonus. :eek: :apple:

Trivial rock

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Installed Tiberium Wars for Mac

Tiberium Wars for the Mac runs very smoothly on medium graphics with several opponents at once :)

colmiak

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
on my 2010 13" mpp while playing gta iv and dragon age, max temps i hit for the graphics card is 89c but it's on avg around 80c. the cpu hits 80 ish max and stays around the high 70s.

anyone else have any info? i play on high settings mostly and dont want to damage the card from being to hot.. although the actual macbook on the outside doesnt feel too hot.

this is on windows 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.