Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlien

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
I've been using an ATV for a couple years and am considering replacing it with a HTPC running one of the usual applications. It appears that they don't pull the information stored in the file for album art, show episode, and other data. From what I can tell they use a file naming convention and pull the data off external sources. Am I right? If so, there an application that will batch convert file names based on the info contained in the file?

reebzor

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I've been using an ATV for a couple years and am considering replacing it with a HTPC running one of the usual applications. It appears that they don't pull the information stored in the file for album art, show episode, and other data. From what I can tell they use a file naming convention and pull the data off external sources. Am I right? If so, there an application that will batch convert file names based on the info contained in the file?

Yes you are right. I know in plex, when you add a source you specify where you want it to scrape data from (imdb for movies, thetvdb for tv shows, etc). I havent found anything good for converting the file names so I made an applescript to do tv shows for me. It changes all the names in a folder to SxxExx, which is an accepted format for scraping, everything else I just do manually. If you need more information on file naming there are plenty of documents out there, especially XBMC and Plex's wikis.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
From what I've read, Plex may be able to use your file as an info source instead of scraping the internet when they release their new .9 revision in the near future.

charlien

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
From what I've read, Plex may be able to use your file as an info source instead of scraping the internet when they release their new .9 revision in the near future.

Excellent. Any idea when .9 will be released?

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Excellent. Any idea when .9 will be released?

No idea. I don't think the developers even know yet. They're all volunteers so it's really just when they have time to finish. Having said that, after following the development, my guess would be early this summer.

Here's a link to the relevant post of .mp4 scraping in a discussion about .9

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.