PDA

View Full Version : Are you sure your Pilot is actually certified?

damson34
May 17, 2010, 12:37 PM
Wow is all I can really say on this one.

http://gizmodo.com/5540789/the-guy-who-flew-thousands-of-passengers-as-a-fake-pilot

tabasco70
May 17, 2010, 02:48 PM
it's a crazy idea- he admits it himself..
but while its ridiculously dangerous and even selfish to put thousands at risk, flying for 15 years combined with legit training from the airline company probably gave him a lot of experience.
He was capable of flying planes, and he didn't crash anything. So it's all good. (Mostly)
The airlines and agencies should step up their game though.

MattSepeta
May 17, 2010, 04:00 PM
Catch me if you can.

pukifloyd
May 17, 2010, 10:23 PM
damn this is scary.

GoCubsGo
May 17, 2010, 10:27 PM
That is disturbing but then again, aside from obtaining the license itself are people really at risk today? Sure, he was a new "pilot", unskilled at first but after 15 years you'd think now it's just paper, no?

Arran
May 17, 2010, 11:08 PM
I think Gizmodo are being a tad economical with the truth. Like omitting this key fact:

...Officers acted after a tip-off suggested that Salme had once had a commercial pilot license, but it had expired and it never qualified him for passengers flights. He had accumulated 10,000 unlicensed hours in the air.

He admitted doctoring his expired pilots licence...

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/sweden/7733861/Fake-pilot-who-flew-for-13-years-without-licence-fined-1700.html

So it's not like he was a non-pilot who just jumped out the flight simulator and into the cockpit.

GoCubsGo
May 17, 2010, 11:09 PM
You mean Gizmodo isn't telling the whole story? Weird!

Mac-Michael
May 17, 2010, 11:12 PM
Yes, the fact that you don't have a license doesn't mean you can't do something - it means you haven't paid for the privilege to do it. This guy is alright with me.

Arran
May 17, 2010, 11:20 PM
You mean Gizmodo isn't telling the whole story? Weird!

Yeah, I know. Who'da thunk :rolleyes:

GFLPraxis
May 19, 2010, 11:10 AM
If you read the whole story, the guy:

- Had a commercial pilot's license in the past, simply forged one that let him fly the big jets

- Trained in a flight simulator in 2-3 hour sessions several dozen times over two years.

Gizmodo simplifies this to:

flying a few nights in a flight simulator and printing a fake airliner pilot license

:rolleyes:

Anyway- what the guy did was wrong, and IMO he should be disciplined to prevent others from trying this- but don't fire him. He's apparently been flying for a decade without incident- by all means, he's a good pilot. Keep him in the air!

darkplanets
May 19, 2010, 12:23 PM
As others have said, he's undoubtedly a good pilot.

He had his CPL, flew thousands of hours over the years, did hours of simulation training, and is a certified maintenance engineer.

Who else would you want flying your plane?

I could care less if he wasn't licensed for commercial craft and his CPL ran out; this guy clearly knows his stuff and his safety record proves it.

Fine him, slap him on the wrist, and let this guy continue with his career.

jknight8907
May 19, 2010, 12:25 PM
Not to mention he wasn't the only guy up front on those flights. With a 'real' captain in the left seat, his opportunities to really screw the pooch were slim.

RedTomato
May 20, 2010, 11:25 AM
With him flying, the airline company's insurance is invalid.

Similar to letting someone with an expired / disqualified driving licence drive your car.

dmr727
May 20, 2010, 05:42 PM
With him flying, the airline company's insurance is invalid.

Yeah, this is the first thing that went through my head too. That's why, at least in the U.S., operators are pretty thorough with their background checks. After 9/11 it all became mandatory anyway.

As others have mentioned, the safety wasn't a huge deal, but I can understand where the public expects certain baseline requirements to be met when it comes to air safety. So when a pilot is arrogant enough to disregard these requirements, and an air carrier doesn't do its due diligence to make sure these requirements are met - I can see how it might ruffle some feathers.